Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hooked up a led light on the dash that I can see in the rear view camera. When the light is on, the pedal is being presses enough to apply the brakes. I've never seen it on when I thought it shouldn't be. You have to play around a bit with the cable length but the owners manual is pretty good. I studied every other product out there and could not find anything better for less. It's bullet proof and built to last.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2010, 11:19 PM   #16

Rick,
great idea...did you tie into a brake line going to the rear brake lights? Where did you connect in?

Thanks
Curt
MoonchaserTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:29 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonchaserTX View Post
Rick,
great idea...did you tie into a brake line going to the rear brake lights? Where did you connect in?

Thanks
Curt
I tapped in to the brake light wire while I was running the Cooltech Harness up front. Just made a detour up in to the cab.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Rick,
Is the LED visible enough in your back up camera during daytime driving?
Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Hi Rick,
Is the LED visible enough in your back up camera during daytime driving?
It's an amber Side Maker like one you'd find on your rig. I just lay it on the dash cover and have a little strip of velcro to hold it in place.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf7 View Post
I am looking at this system. My question is does it have a way to power up the brakes? It would seem without some type of vacume system the brakes would not stop as well. Just an observation. I'm trying to find out about this before I buy one. Any input is appreciated.
Dan
They do sell a optional 12 volt DC Vacuum Pump for the people who feel the need to have their brake booster powered. It activates when the brake booster drops below 11 inches of vacuum. The pump will then stay on until it reaches 15 inches of vacuum. But I have never heard of anyone using one of these. Maybe with a very heavy toad?
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #21

When I spoke with ready brake they said it was for people that wanted the assurance but was not necessary....although..I spoke with a Guy today that lost hismh brakes....if you could activate the toad brakes from the cab wouldn't that be a good safety feature?
Old 12-29-2010, 11:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonchaserTX View Post
When I spoke with ready brake they said it was for people that wanted the assurance but was not necessary....although..I spoke with a Guy today that lost hismh brakes....if you could activate the toad brakes from the cab wouldn't that be a good safety feature?
Don't know if you could set it up that way or not, but don't think so. It is still dependant on the surge action of the tow bar activator. I also doubt you toad brakes are going to last very long trying to stop a heavier run away motorhome.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:16 PM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since the front brakes are responsible for appx 70% of the stopping power, I doubt there would be much effectiveness from toad brakes alone, even if they could be activated independently. I would think the MH e-brake would be more effective since it would also activate the surge brakes on the toad.
Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #24

I was picturing a handle in coach cab floor cabled to the toad brake cable
..clearly for emergency only...also we have a workhorse chassis and I think the ebrake is either off or full on...wish it could be applied gradually....wonder if applying a workhorse ebrake at speed would pretzel the drive shaft?