Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #29

Curt,
I agree with you 100%. I have reseached every toad brake system on the market and I am thoroughly convienced the Ready Brake is a very reliable unit as well as being a good value. Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that it is not the best system for my situation. For those readers that might be interested I will explain why.
My toad is a '02 Saturn L200 and it has the Blue Ox BX3314 base plates which have a very low attachment point. Also I have the Blue Ox BX4330 tow bar which requires a 7" rise from attachment to coupler which fits my situation to a tee. This presents two potential problems as regards the Ready Brake 1) the angle of the tow bar and 2) the cable from toad to brake unit lever.
No one knows for sure if the angle of the tow bar would prevent acceptable performance and I was will to give it a try. However, I could not find a way to have the cable exit the front end of the toad high enough to keep it from coming in contact with the coupler lock lever. I could have purchased one and tried, but the hassle just didn't seem worth the effort.

My choice now is the SMI Stay-N-Play.
Thanks to all who offered their toughts and ideas,
Dave
jdr37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2011, 12:10 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I must be missing something. If you have a 7" rise to the coupler, why not use a drop hitch receiver? ReadyBrute sells them including a 6" and 8" drop. Both of those would put you well within the 2" limit.

What am I missing?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:26 AM   #31

Steve,
As I said, the BX 4330 Acclaim tow bar REQUIRES a 7" rise. This is because the coupler is attached to the tow bar at an angle do that the coupler is level when the tow bar is at the angle of a 7" rise. It is very important that the coupler be level. I think Blue Ox engineered the Acclaim for such situations. Additionally, if I used a drop reciever it would be so low that it would be dragging every little hump.
Hope this explains it.
Dave
Old 01-20-2011, 05:27 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey Dave,

My bad for not looking at the Acclaim. Now I see you dilemma. Since you already have the bar, not sure what I'd do. I have been pouring over everything as I am going to tow 4 down. I have decided on the ReadyBrake, but I am starting from scratch, so easy decision for me. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:23 AM   #33

Steve,
From what I have found out, if you keep the tow bar level and can bring the cable out of the front of the motor home high enough that the tow bar and coupler doesn't interfere with the cable you should have no problem. I really wish I could have been able to do so because I'm sold on the Ready Brake. BTW, you can purchase it on eBay.
Good Luck,
Dave
Old 01-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Our toad set up, by some miracle came out just about perfectly level. Car had a base plate, manufacturer unknown but I believe it is a Blue Ox. Ready Brake and Ready stop installed by me and Blue Ox Aventa II from Craigslist. I would be concerned if the drop was more than 2-4" but can understand a 7" drop when the system is designed for a toad with a low attachment point. The new base plates look great because they are hidden but that seems to put them way down from the bar on low to the ground vehicles. Ours is not so pretty but sticks up so high there is no problem.

My simple thought on how the drop and angle affect towing is if you put your arm straight out and lean against the wall there doesn't seem to be much pressure. Try it again with your arm at an angle and than you can feel it in your joints. I'm no engineer but the same pressure must apply in your tow bar.

In the case of the Ready Brake, wouldn't a simple bolt on pulley system of some kind solve the severe angle for the cable?
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #35

In regard to the pulley for the cable, yes, I think so but I believe it would need to be some kink of a roller, maybe 3" or so wide in order to allow for sharp turns so the cable would not come off of or bind on the pulley. One other consideration would be the additional length of the cable required for turns so as not to engage the brake. Just more problematic than I wanted to deal with considering the drop angle was also problematic. Oh Well!!
Dave