Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2019, 03:31 PM   #1

Ready Brute Brake Cable

Those of you with the Ready Brute Elite tow bar or using the Ready Brute surge brake.....is there a way to hide the unsightly loop at the front of the vehicle? Has anyone figured out a way to hide it? Does the loop get pushed out every time you hit the brakes?

I have two options reference braking for my Toad (JLU Wrangler). I can use a Brake Buddy Classic which was given to me or I can use the Ready Brute brake and it's associated cable. I love the simplicity of the Ready Brute, but I dislike the loop.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2019, 03:39 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Someone on here rigged up a system where he could easily disconnect the cable from the brake pedal and coil it up out of the way. As I recall it involved drilling a hole in the brake pedal arm and using a clevis pin. Maybe a search would find the post.
I have the ReadyBrute and yes, the cable does move when the pedal is pushed and it is visible from the front of the car. Doesn't bother me though. Sometimes people ask me what it is and what it's for. I just tell them we tow the car behind our RV and it's for the braking system.
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:44 PM   #3

Could you hide the cable behind the front license plate using something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Wrangler-Rele.../dp/B07BTLC8TH
Old 11-13-2019, 08:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Someone on here rigged up a system where he could easily disconnect the cable from the brake pedal and coil it up out of the way. As I recall it involved drilling a hole in the brake pedal arm and using a clevis pin. Maybe a search would find the post.
I have the ReadyBrute and yes, the cable does move when the pedal is pushed and it is visible from the front of the car. Doesn't bother me though. Sometimes people ask me what it is and what it's for. I just tell them we tow the car behind our RV and it's for the braking system.
That was me. I had the Ready Brake system about 10-12 years ago and, I myself, thought that some of the ways Ready Brake wanted you to install and or, hook things up was pure caveman. So, I revamped the system to my liking. What I did was actually very simple. After routing the cable through its housing from the front bumper to the inside of the vehicle, I then determined the length needed at that end of the cable, to form a loop in the cable.
Inside that loop, was a steel screen door roller wheel. It's about an inch or so in diameter and, has a 1/4" hole in the middle of it for the normal bolt that would go through it if, it was on a screen door. When I say "form a loop", by that I mean I have the correct swage tool for crimping on ferrules and making loops in various sized cables. The next thing I did was drill a precise hole in my brake arm that, I could install a 1/4" pin. I pressed that pin in there with a giant C-clamp and a socket. Kind of a horizontal press.

The pin had a small hole in its tip that was cross drilled. Now, when it came time to hook things up for towing, the wife would reach under the floor mat, un-curl the Ready Brake cable and slide that screen door roller onto the pin, in the brake arm. Then, she'd install a small "lynch" pin (in the cross drilled hole) to keep that roller on the 1/4" pin, DONE!

Now, when not towing, she'd pull that lynch pin, pull off the roller and coil that Ready Brake cable under the floor mat. That took all of about 8-10 seconds. Now, you don't have that Ready Brake cable actuating each and every time you applied the brakes in your toad. And, you don't have that giant, ugly looking clamp mechanism clamped to your brake arm. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

I also thought the way Ready Brake want's you to "adjust" the actuation cable between the coach and toad, is also CAVEMAN. So, I again, devised my own system. I purchased a Stainless Steel, Marine turn buckle and, built my own link-cable with VERY EASY ADJUSTABLILITY. If and when, that cable needed adjustment, which was every so often, it was incredibly easy. I pulled the tiny hair pins from each of the turn buckle ends, and that would allow me to spin them to either tighten, or loosen the cable. That adjustment, would take me about, oh, maybe 10-15 seconds or so. Then, replace the tiny hair pins that keep the turn buckle from self adjusting while being towed.

Waaaaaaay back when I created all this, I spoke with the Ready Brake reps at the annual Quartzite RV event, held in January, about my alterations. They were very, very receptive but, they said my methods of application, would drive up the cost and, they said they have to keep the cost down as far as possible. Oh well, it was a vast improvement for me and really wasn't all that much in cost.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:40 PM   #5

I don't mind the brake attachment as much as the loop at the front of the rig. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to deal with that. The Ready Brute Elite 2 comes standard with a turnbuckle for fine tuning, so maybe they did listen to some of your ideas.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgreen1069 View Post
I don't mind the brake attachment as much as the loop at the front of the rig. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to deal with that. The Ready Brute Elite 2 comes standard with a turnbuckle for fine tuning, so maybe they did listen to some of your ideas.
Well,
Since the loop on the front is the ONLY way to attach the actuation cable, gonna be pretty tough to either disquise it or, loose it 'till you need it, just in the interest of not seeing it while it's not in use. About the only way is to minimize it by retracting the cable 'till it's up against the bumper or bracket or whatever you have. But, as I stated, that cable is actually traveling back and forth, every single time you apply the brakes in your toad, while you're driving it. I didn't care for that because, I'm the one that has to fix stuff when it wears out prematurely and, I could have prevented that. So, I disconnected it from the brake pedal to alleviate any EXTRA wear and tear.
Scott
Old 11-14-2019, 06:05 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Yep. I cared for 5 minutes. It's a toad
tarheel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:35 AM   #8

Paint it to match your bumper or flat black. Perhaps go buy a bottle of Crown Royal based on the color of the bag. Use the bag with draw string to cover it. Show folks you have good taste in whiskey and if the bag falls off or wears out, just go buy another bottle. Sounds like a win-win to me! Added bonus is after drinking the Crown you’ll care a lot less about.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have mine set to exit thru the lower grill work below the front plate of a Honda Accord and the cable extends out about 12" away from the grill to meet the bar cable. The extra makes it easy to loop the cable back into the grill to hide the end loop.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
I have mine set to exit thru the lower grill work below the front plate of a Honda Accord and the cable extends out about 12" away from the grill to meet the bar cable. The extra makes it easy to loop the cable back into the grill to hide the end loop.
This was one of my thoughts....leave enough extra cable that I could make a loop and hide it.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
Since the loop on the front is the ONLY way to attach the actuation cable, gonna be pretty tough to either disquise it or, loose it 'till you need it, just in the interest of not seeing it while it's not in use. About the only way is to minimize it by retracting the cable 'till it's up against the bumper or bracket or whatever you have. But, as I stated, that cable is actually traveling back and forth, every single time you apply the brakes in your toad, while you're driving it. I didn't care for that because, I'm the one that has to fix stuff when it wears out prematurely and, I could have prevented that. So, I disconnected it from the brake pedal to alleviate any EXTRA wear and tear.
Scott
I love your solution but don't think I want to drill through my brake pedal.

Here is the standard installation:

Here was your solution (I hope you don't mind me borrowing your images from 2014):

I wonder if I could combine the standard way of mounting the cable with your improved way. My thought would be to weld a 1/4 or larger pin to a plate that would be mounted to the side of the brake pedal. The result would be very similar to what you did without the need to drill the brake pedal. Thoughts?

One more question - Are you using the emergency breakaway system also? Where did you put that cable?
Old 11-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgreen1069 View Post
I love your solution but don't think I want to drill through my brake pedal.

Here is the standard installation:

Here was your solution (I hope you don't mind me borrowing your images from 2014):

I wonder if I could combine the standard way of mounting the cable with your improved way. My thought would be to weld a 1/4 or larger pin to a plate that would be mounted to the side of the brake pedal. The result would be very similar to what you did without the need to drill the brake pedal. Thoughts?

One more question - Are you using the emergency breakaway system also? Where did you put that cable?
First off,
I want to thank you for publishing those pics. I try, TRY to be organized and have and post pics, if and when I need them, to help with an explanation or present my point(s). But, as much as I try and be organized, things just get lost. Anyway, well, waaaaaay back when I first did this and showed the pics, even before '14, there was a few that were absolutely positive that the brake arm was gonna fall off and there would be a mass collision on a freeway someplace due to a 1/4" hole drilled in a brake arm and there would be hundreds of thousands of people killed.

Well, pretty sure that hasn't, never will, and CAN'T happen. Those brake arms are pretty strong stuff. I don't consider myself an Arnold Schwarzenegger in terms of strength. But, I have STOOD on those Jeep brakes a time or two for emergency stops etc. and, well, the brake arm is still intact and doesn't appear to have deviated one thousandth of an inch, from its original form.

But, that's up to each individual to decide if they like, or don't like what I did. To me, it was a very, VERY simple solution to MY issues with the R/B installation/application process. Obviously, many out there in toadville, don't think there's any problems or issues with R/B's install techniques and, do as they are instructed to do. It's their toad, so, have fun.

Anyway you'd like to mount that R/B cable that satisfies you, well, again, it's yours so, make sure you're happy when it's all done. Good luck.
Scott
Old 11-20-2019, 07:51 AM   #13

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/ready...ml#post4803907 posting #3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-11-20_9-50-12.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	267435  
Old 11-20-2019, 07:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemate1 View Post
Any idea on how the cable sheered? Do you still like the system or have you lost confidence? How many miles did you have on it before it failed each time?

I like your connection. How did you attach that connector to the cable (brake pedal side)?

Tags
brake, cable