Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2019, 12:07 PM   #1

Ready Brute Elite 2 or Blue Ox Ascent / Brake Buddy

I've posted about this a few times now, but my quest to set up my Toad has been more complicated than originally planned. I settled on Maximus-3 tow loops based on recommendations on a Jeep forum. After soliciting input and researching tow bars, I ordered a Ready Brute Elite II from NSA. I sent my tow loops to NSA so they determine which clevises would work. They told me they had clevises in stock which would work, so I bought their system.

The clevises I received were 1/4" wider than my loops and took 1" pins vs the tow loops taking 7/8" pins. I wasn't comfortable with the loose tolerances so I called to see if there were any other options available. In speaking to NSA last Friday, they explained that custom making clevises was not an option as they make several pieces at a time and they were afraid they'd be stuck with unsold inventory. I completely understood their position but needed to figure out what to do.

I needed to decide to either use Maximus-3 tow loops and go with a different tow bar, or purchase a Blue Ox or Roadmaster base plate and use the Ready Brute with the correct clevises. After much debate, my family decided we preferred the Maximus-3 tow loops I had already purchased (they look stock).

On Saturday, I ordered a Blue Ox Ascent tow bar and off-road bumper style clevises that fit perfectly. I was given a Brake Buddy Classic recently, so I have a setup for braking. The tow bar arrived yesterday and my plan was to return the Ready Brute Elite tow bar.

This morning, I received an email from NSA advising they have received enough inquiries about the Maximus-3 tow loops that they are now willing to manufacture the correct clevises and can ship them to me next week.

To make a long story short, I am now in possession of two brand new tow bars and one needs to be returned. I can go with the Blue Ox / Brake Buddy combo or the Ready Brute Elite II. Anybody want to offer their advise on which direction you'd go if you were in the same shoes? I need to decide which direction to go and ship one of these tow bars back.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2019, 12:42 PM   #2

You will find the Brake Buddy a royal PIA to install and remove every time you hook up or unhook. Especially if it’s raining and in a hurry. Now that’s my opinion others may differ. The nice thing about the Ready Brute is that once you install the brake cable, there is very little to do each time you hook up. No need for power to the Jeep.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:39 PM   #3

I realize that this is coming quite late for to of any help to you but someone else might benefit from it. A few years back we bought a 2001 Southwind and we had a 2011 Scion XB to pull behind it. I did the whole setup on the Scion and it worked great. As for a tow bar/brake combo, I purchased the Ready Brute Elite ll with the built in surge brake. I could not have been happier. It was a dream to hook up and unhook. Never a problem. Well, the battery on my Scion kept going dead but that's another problem that I would have solved if we had kept the rig. Anyway, to answer the OP's question, I would go with the Ready Brute again and again. In fact, I just bought mine back from the fellow who bought our mh. I'm going to use it to pull a 2014 Honda CRv behind our 2004 Monaco LaPalma gas rig. I look forward to using it.
Socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:15 PM   #4

I ended up going with the Brake Buddy....saved some money. BUT...if I had to do it again, I'd go for the Ready Brute Elite. The previous owner of my Bay Star recommended the Ready Brute and I didn't listen.....I should have.

Don't get me wrong, the Brake Buddy works fine, but it's just another 5-10 minute job every time you're hooking up to leave. When possible, I get a pull thru site and hook up the night before I'm hitting the road. If I were a full timer or using the rig more than I am at the present time, I'd definitely consider canning the Brake Buddy and getting a Ready Brute!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:58 PM   #5

Ready Brute. Hands down the simplest brakes system around.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
I ended up going with the Brake Buddy....saved some money. BUT...if I had to do it again, I'd go for the Ready Brute Elite. The previous owner of my Bay Star recommended the Ready Brute and I didn't listen.....I should have.

Don't get me wrong, the Brake Buddy works fine, but it's just another 5-10 minute job every time you're hooking up to leave. When possible, I get a pull thru site and hook up the night before I'm hitting the road. If I were a full timer or using the rig more than I am at the present time, I'd definitely consider canning the Brake Buddy and getting a Ready Brute!
Well, when we bought our first motor home, we had come off the road. We spent 3 years full timing with a 5er/dually. So, I was totally ignorant regarding the whole tow car/brake/tow bar situation. I asked a lot of questions on IRV2 and got great information from folks who had done what I needed to do. I'm so happy that someone suggested the Ready Brute. I had never heard of it and I was ready to do the Brake Buddy or Roadmaster or ??? but once I found out about the Ready Brute and read up on it, it just made the most sense. I'm so happy I did and I highly recommend that you do it too. Think about how many of those times you have to spend 5-10 minutes of your life doing your thing with the Brake Buddy. Time is the only commodity that you can't replace so why waste it? JMHO!
Socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox, brake