RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-21-2020, 07:40 AM   #1

Ready Brute Elite 2 or Roadmaster system

I just bought a new Ford Range that I intend to use as a TOAD. I went to a couple of local dealers to get ideas and pricing. Beforehand, I figured I would use either a Blue Ox or Roadmaster base plate and tow bar and a built-in brake system like the InvisiBrake. But one dealer I went to recommended the Ready Brute Elite 2 system, which has its own built-in braking system using a cable. I plan to have someone install either way, I believe.

Both ways seem to get good reviews online, and pricing is similar, I believe, once you include all of the necessary stuff. Which is easier to hook up and disconnect the TOAD from the RV? Which is more reliable and requires less maintenance down the road? Any advice is appreciated.
AreVeeThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2020, 09:32 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The invisibrake uses a cable system. It draws power from the toad vehicle for power to work the vacuum brake. Invisibrake creates its own vacuum and you adjust that for breaking power. The invisbrake will get charged by your rv when your headlights are turned on only, small trickle charge at most. I added the 15 amp change line to mine. Made my own for $5.00. The roadmaster tow bar is simple to hook up. Only safety chains, break away switch and light cable.
Look at all videos on youetube, roadmaster site, blue ox etc.
Good luck,
Terry
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #3

We use the ready brute system. Was a real simple install, with great instructions. simple system and easy hookup & disconnect. Very happy with it.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:25 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

We've been using the ReadyBrute Elite towbars since 2012. NSA gives you a lifetime warranty! ! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:38 AM   #5

I have the Ready Brute 2. Self installed on my Gladiator. Happy with it
El Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:04 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ready Brute Elite tow bar

I used the Ready Brute when I had the diesel pusher to tow my Jeep and absolutely loved it. I have it for sale if you're interested.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chapo View Post
I have the Ready Brute 2. Self installed on my Gladiator. Happy with it
How difficult was the installation? Did you also install the breakaway emergency braking system? If so, you have to drill two holes through the firewall, correct? How many hours did the installation take?
AreVeeThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diz N Sue View Post
I used the Ready Brute when I had the diesel pusher to tow my Jeep and absolutely loved it. I have it for sale if you're interested.
Still available for sale?
matcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreVeeThere View Post
I just bought a new Ford Range that I intend to use as a TOAD. I went to a couple of local dealers to get ideas and pricing. Beforehand, I figured I would use either a Blue Ox or Roadmaster base plate and tow bar and a built-in brake system like the InvisiBrake. But one dealer I went to recommended the Ready Brute Elite 2 system, which has its own built-in braking system using a cable. I plan to have someone install either way, I believe.

Both ways seem to get good reviews online, and pricing is similar, I believe, once you include all of the necessary stuff. Which is easier to hook up and disconnect the TOAD from the RV? Which is more reliable and requires less maintenance down the road? Any advice is appreciated.
I would contend pricing is not similar. That is if we are comparing the RB Elite II to the price of another brand tow bar PLUS the cost of an aux brake system like InvisiBrake. The RB Elite ought to come in well below. I have been using the first gen RB Elite since 2007 and am planning to replace it for the 2021 season. It has worked flawlessly. I towed a Saturn Vue for 7 years & a Ford Edge for about 6 years all with the same tow bar. I would also say the RB is one of the least invasive installs if that means anything to you. It does to me.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:54 PM   #10

Ready Brute

We bought a Jeep with this already installed and WOW! Ours is a Ready Brute Elite and works like a dream. However, we are going to sell our Jeepcause we are not going to RV. Have fun with yours and I think you are headed in the right direction with this tow package.
Shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreVeeThere View Post

As far as the base plate, be aware of the height compared to the coach hitch height. Etrailer.com usually has a vehicle specific detailed install videos

I don't know where it mounts on your Ranger but on my Canyon the RM is low, near the tow hooks and the BO is just above the bumper.

My coach is a gasser and the hitch height matched up to the BO nearly right on

The hitch height on a DP are commonly lower and the RM matches better

You can obviously adjust the heights with a drop receiver if needed

Oh... I use the Ready brake and have had very good experience with it. I don't think there's enough of a difference in connecting and disconnecting to make a lot of difference in your selection

The simplicity is in the surge brake operation.
Vato is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roadmaster