Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2019, 12:04 AM   #15

I found the base plate easier to install than the Ready Brake since it came with vehicle-specific instructions. The toughest part is drilling holes in the hard steel. You may also need to cut some notches.

The hardest part of the Ready Brake install is planning the cable routing and drilling the holes for the cables in the firewall.

Both go better with two people.

I used a set of vehicle ramps similar to those available at Harbor Freight or an auto parts store.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2019, 06:39 AM   #16

Thanks both, from the sound of the effort you both had to do it maybe outside my mechanical skills.

I would be happy to pay 700$ labor if I picked up the parts myself.

I will call NSA on Monday:-)
Old 02-17-2019, 08:04 AM   #17

Find a place to drill was my bigest issue, that decision took a few hours of him hawing and looking from inside and out, not sure mine were drilled in the prefered location mine are not quit a straight pull on the pedal. I have a lift pretty shre it would have sucked really bad with out it.

Get a new hole saw, i used an old one i had it took 15 minutes for the first hole, new one on second took 30 seconds.

Remove the plastic bumper piece to trim it , best to use a drywall rotsry cutter in a dremmel.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:16 AM   #18

Thanks Ransil,

That definitely sounds like something I would be more comfortable farming out.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Thanks both, from the sound of the effort you both had to do it maybe outside my mechanical skills.

I would be happy to pay 700$ labor if I picked up the parts myself.

I will call NSA on Monday:-)
I'm proud of myself for having done it but, knowing what I know now, I'd pay $700 if (a big if) I knew it was going to be done right. I say "big if" because, had I not carefully thought and rethought the Ready Brake install it wouldn't have been right. You need to make sure the installer has done at least a few and, preferably, one on your model toad.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #20

I hear you on that Bcam :-)
Old 02-18-2019, 12:11 PM   #21

Just got off the phone with NSA. I was told that about 3,000$ for parts when all the wiring is included sounds about right. She said the cost of wiring adds up.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:35 AM   #22

Quote:
Just got off the phone with NSA. I was told that about 3,000$ for parts when all the wiring is included sounds about right. She said the cost of wiring adds up.
How much could "all the wiring" cost? Obviously every vehicle is different but for our Wrangler the Hopkins wiring kit cost $32.

Wiring for the brake indicator light in the dash is included in the cost of the brake.

Ready Brute Elite rated for 8000lbs is $1050 Comes with coiled safety cables.

Baseplate with all brackets and mounting hardware for a Ford Focus is $400

Break Away kit from NSA is $90

Curt Plug and Play wiring kit for Ford Focus is $107

New 7x6 Umbilical cord with the female plug for the toad is $75.

So it seems to me like you should be able to get all the parts to make a Ford Focus toable for around $1750. I wonder where the other $1250 is accounted for.

And IMO the entire process will take around 5hrs to install. So at the highway robbery rate of $150/hr you would have $750 max into the install.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:11 PM   #23

I did drill the hole in the tail light housing in the wrong place, too shallow of a spot, hit the lense .
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:24 PM   #24

Hi Tom,

Thanks for posting all that info.

Unfortunately this is the only installer within 3 hours of me. I am going to call around and see what out of state installers are charging.

I would be happy to purchase the kit and bring it to him. Or maybe just get a bloody dolly
Old 02-19-2019, 01:24 PM   #25

FWIW...I had mine done at a retail store 7 months ago...760 labor, 2089 for parts. light kit, ready brute elite, breakaway etc...total out the door w/tax was 2995
Old 02-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #26

Thanks Ed, I think the price they gave was with tax.

So 500$ more.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Hi Tom,

Thanks for posting all that info.

Unfortunately this is the only installer within 3 hours of me. I am going to call around and see what out of state installers are charging.

I would be happy to purchase the kit and bring it to him. Or maybe just get a bloody dolly
Any body shop can install the baseplate and braking system. It's a super simple install. The baseplate instructions claim 3hrs install time using basic hand tools.

Print off the install instructions for the baseplate and the Ready Brake cable and take them to any local body shop or reputable mechanic shop and see if they would be willing to give you an estimate for the install.

Once you have an installer picked out just buy all the parts yourself and make an appointment. $1750 for all the parts and a $750 budget for install and you are in the $2500 range.

Honestly I bet most shops would be embarrassed to charge $750 to install a simple baseplate and ready brake system. I keep referring to body shops because they are experts at body and frame repairs. They do simple work like this every day. Body Shop mechanics are awesome. They actually repair things not just change parts to solve a problem.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:41 PM   #28

Thanks Tom,

I have a few shops in mind :-)

Tags
install