Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2014, 07:22 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Ready Brute Elite/Ready Brake

I like the concept of this tow bar and combined braking system. We have a JKU and would be interested in anyone that has this setup and could share the pros and cons between this system and the others out there like the SMI etc. We do not want to use any system that is not a permanent install.

One of my concerns is going down a steep grade, will the toad push against the MH and activate the brakes?

Thanks

Jim
MoHoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #2

I use the Ready Brute Elite towing a 2013 chevy sonic. I haven't had any issues with it in over 3000 miles. It's the only setup I've used however so no comparisons for you.

The brake "should" activate on steep grades but there's no way to know unless you connect a remote indicator to the toad's brake lights (or some similar system). However, I have found tension on the brake cable even when parked on a downhill slope.

The correct amount of slack in the brake cable during installation is crucial to the performance and so could be considered a "con".

I would purchase the system again.
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I only have the readybrake and have had great success until month ago. The pressure of toad against the readybrake activates the brake arm that pulls on the cable out that pulls the brake pedal in and you have brakes. Simplicity is the best design. However, if your cable conduit touches something hot the Teflon on the inside of the conduit melts and the cable no longer moves in and out of the black conduit cable freely. In my instance the brake was pulled on and I it stayed on. I tried to pull the cable back out, but it would not budge. I took the entire brake cable out and found the section that was froze, and the outside of the brake cable conduit was melted a bit. I tried to move the cable back and forth, but that did not free it up, so I cut out the bad section and all moved freely again. I now have a new brake cable re-routed to avoid hot spots on the engine. I hope this makes some sense the way I wrote it.
Philliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:51 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
In 6 years of towing my 02 wrangler, never had a problem. Have a roadmaster Sterling tow bar and the ready brake, also never hooked up the indicator light.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:38 PM   #5

I have been towing with a Ready Brute Elite for about 15,000 miles. No problems. For someone installing the brake system. I would recommend they read this thread.
ReadyBrute braking problems--Follow-up
Old 09-27-2014, 08:39 PM   #6

I have the Ready Brute tow bar and brake system towing a 2005 Chevy Colorado. I like the simple design and have had no real issues. As stated earlier the adjustment on the brake cable is a little tricky at first but once you get it fine tuned it is pretty much worry free. Just takes a few trips to get the hang of it
gthunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
I have been towing with a Ready Brute Elite for about 15,000 miles. No problems. For someone installing the brake system. I would recommend they read this thread.
ReadyBrute braking problems--Follow-up
That is good information. Thanks!
Philliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have the ReadyBrute Elite and like it a lot. All brake systems that I'm aware of require some type of adjustment when first getting set up. As for going down hill if the motorhome and toad are both going the same speed the brake will not be applied. If the motorhome slows down fast enough the brake will be applied, which in my way of thinking is good, after all you're trying to slow down. And once you are no longer slowing down the brakes on the toad will be released. The instructions that come with the ReadyBrute instruct you to not run the brake cable next to any moving or hot spots. I'm guessing the same applies to any brake system that requires some parts to be installed in the engine compartment. I think there are many good brake systems out there for toads including the SMI. In fact when I first started thinking of towing a car the SMI had my attention and was what I was going to go with until I read about the ReadyBrute. For me the ReadyBrute provided the best bang for the buck and was the least expensive system to pull a toad with. Good luck in your decision making and what ever way you decide to go you will find a lot of information on this website for the system you choose.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:17 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
I have been towing a Jeep Cherokee for several thousand miles without a problem. After following the instruction very carefully (this is one time when you really do need to follow instructions guys) I drove around to make final adjustments to the cable. I could feel the brakes on the Jeep when I was stopping and adjusted the cable so they come on as supplemental brakes only. If the cable is too tight the the tow vehicle is trying to stop the MH. Unless you have a DP or a really heavy gas MH you should be able to feel the toad either pushing during braking or helping to stop.
I use a Blue Ox tow bar and made a removable plate to fill the opening where the pin locks in when the tow bar is stowed in the up position. I didn’t want the cable to bind inside the opening and cause the Jeep brakes to not release.
One reason I chose the Ready Brake is the ease of connecting and disconnecting the Jeep. With a lot of other systems you have to install and remove the brake actuator from the floor of the vehicle each time, too much work. Then you have to stow it somewhere also, either in the toad or in the MH.
As was stated earlier the cables need to be routed away from hot or moving parts. Make sure you pay attention to the angle between the MH and the toad. If it is too great the Ready Brake can bind and effect the operation. It was mentioned by someone about making sure the tow bar is extended and locked in the tow position.
I would buy another Ready Brake if this one were to wear out, it’s easy to use and works.
One thing with most braking systems, make sure you wire the lights correctly. I had to install a switch to kill the 12V power going to the brake light switch on the Jeep. Sitting still it all worked great, I had brake lights when I pushed on the MH brakes and turn signals. The problem occured when I was actually stopping and the Jeep brake pedal moved. Without the switch it allowed power to back feed into the MH and I didn't have turn signals outside even though I had a flashing turn signal light on the MH dash.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:05 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I have a readybrake and tow three different vehicles, a CRV, a Mini and new to me a 1995 Wrangler. I have towed both the CRV & Mini around the US and Canada without concern or problems. Can't say that about a Brake Buddy that burned up rotors on the Mini. Now that may have been my fault for the way I (or in this case my wife) adjusted the BB sytem. For me the BB was difficult to move from vehicle to vehicle and the ready brake is easier to use with different tow vehicles.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell36 View Post
I like the concept of this tow bar and combined braking system. We have a JKU and would be interested in anyone that has this setup and could share the pros and cons between this system and the others out there like the SMI etc. We do not want to use any system that is not a permanent install.

One of my concerns is going down a steep grade, will the toad push against the MH and activate the brakes?

Thanks

Jim
Jim, we've been using that setup since 2012 and love it! I've never noticed the toad brake light on going down a grade.

I did have a minor problem with the clamp-on steel brackets for attaching the cable to the brake pedal. It had a tendency to get hung and hold the brake pedal down when we were driving the toad. I took the brackets off, drilled a hole in the arm, ran the cable through and attached with cable clamps. Never had another problem!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Great idea on drilling the brake. I thought that connection looked kinda like an after thought
MoHoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
I have been towing a Jeep Cherokee for several thousand miles without a problem. After following the instruction very carefully (this is one time when you really do need to follow instructions guys) I drove around to make final adjustments to the cable. I could feel the brakes on the Jeep when I was stopping and adjusted the cable so they come on as supplemental brakes only. If the cable is too tight the the tow vehicle is trying to stop the MH. Unless you have a DP or a really heavy gas MH you should be able to feel the toad either pushing during braking or helping to stop.
I use a Blue Ox tow bar and made a removable plate to fill the opening where the pin locks in when the tow bar is stowed in the up position. I didn’t want the cable to bind inside the opening and cause the Jeep brakes to not release.
One reason I chose the Ready Brake is the ease of connecting and disconnecting the Jeep. With a lot of other systems you have to install and remove the brake actuator from the floor of the vehicle each time, too much work. Then you have to stow it somewhere also, either in the toad or in the MH.
As was stated earlier the cables need to be routed away from hot or moving parts. Make sure you pay attention to the angle between the MH and the toad. If it is too great the Ready Brake can bind and effect the operation. It was mentioned by someone about making sure the tow bar is extended and locked in the tow position.
I would buy another Ready Brake if this one were to wear out, it’s easy to use and works.
One thing with most braking systems, make sure you wire the lights correctly. I had to install a switch to kill the 12V power going to the brake light switch on the Jeep. Sitting still it all worked great, I had brake lights when I pushed on the MH brakes and turn signals. The problem occured when I was actually stopping and the Jeep brake pedal moved. Without the switch it allowed power to back feed into the MH and I didn't have turn signals outside even though I had a flashing turn signal light on the MH dash.
I have a Jeep Cherokee that I tow behind my motor home also and I just bought the ready brake and am ready to install it in the jeep, I've been trying to find some information on the installation, like where to place the cable at the front of the jeep. Was the installation in your jeep fairly easy or difficult, did you have to drill through the front bumper. I had the brake buddy in there but it fried the PC board so I decided to get the ready brake instead of spending a lot of money to repair it.
Any ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks
Jim
MypetBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #14

I towed a Chevy HHR for 7 years trouble-free with the ReadyBrake system. I had an indicator light in the cab of the coach wired to the HHR brake light switch so I could see when it came on. It came on when it needed to. Simple, effective, and I have no "problem" stories to tell like so many I heard from users of the more complex and costly systems. I put a simple turnbuckle on the end of the cable connector to make it easy to fine tune the adjustment. The only problem I ever had was when I left the car and brake system hooked up with too much tension on the cable. I was not aware the car's brake was pulled so that the brake light was on (didn't notice the coach indicator light), and the car battery was dead the next morning. This is the only toad brake system I would consider if I get another.

Tags
brake