Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #29

I had a similar setup on a previous travel trailer.

If the pin is pulled the brake will engage-that is how it is designed.

I don't know if there is a way to override that if the pin is missing. My TT had electric brakes so of the pin was missing I could disconnect the TT battery. I doubt it works the same on a vehicle. My current setup is all mechanical and I can reset the emergency brake box if it gets activated.

I would definitely tether it to something at the very least. If you are worried about theft you could use a steel cable and padlock. A bike lock might work.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #30

Bren10-

If the SMI system is armed and you pull the breakaway pin, the system will apply the brakes until the pin is replaced or the system is disarmed. You can hear the pump running. SMI recommends the pump run continuously for only short periods, after which time one should replace the pin or disarm the system.

If you need to move the toad without the breakaway pin in place, you can disarm the system, or pull the 12V fuse that supplies it power. Either action will deactivate the brake system completely. This is clearly a short-term solution.

The breakaway switch and pin that SMI supplies appears to be common. If you are concerned about theft, pick up a spare pin.

It may not be the case in your installation, but in some (such as on our toad) the switch body can be rotated 90 degrees when not needed, so the pin is parallel to the bumper. This protects the pin and its socket from road grime and makes the pin harder to see.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:37 PM   #31

Thank you znt1186, RMD3819, and l1v3fr33ord1 for your input.

The guy that put our SMI showed us how to check it by pulling the pin, and where the fuse was at, etc. I was just curious about it and thought, Hum, wouldn't that be something if that were to happen when we were on a trip somewhere, and what the heck would we do if it did happen? So yeah, I think I'll purchase a spare or 2, or lol 10, just in case.
I don't think ours is one of the 90 degree rotating ones, but I will check that tomorrow to be sure. It's good to know all the ways to disarm it though just incase it is needed.

LOL my daughter always fusses, and says that I worry about everything long before it happens, which is pretty much true. But when she has something go wrong, break, get stolen, or whatever, I'm the 1st person she calls because she knows that 99.9% of the time I'll have a spare of it somewhere, but lol finding it when it is needed is a whole other thing. LOL we may just have to keep our RV in the driveway forever, and never take it camping because there'll be no room for us to ride, sleep, etc., because of all of my spare things that I Might Need lol.

Thank you all again for your input, it is very much appreciated. Have a wonderful night.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:12 PM   #32

A FEW MORE QUESTIONS: I thought the surge protector was all I had left to get, but then remembered that I also need to get a TPMS too, and want your advice on both of those.

On the surge protector I'm planning on going with either the Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X 30A Digital Surge Protector with Weather Shield, or the EMS-PT30C 30A Surge protector. I like the looks of the EMS-PT30X better with the weather shield on it, but according to the description of the product it doesn't mention if it automatically restores the power to the RV after a shut down, or if it has to be manually restarted. I suspect it automatically restores the power like the PT30C does, but can't be certain, so I thought I'd verify that with those of you familiar with the product. About the only other thing I saw was that the PT30X is listed as 10 joules more than the PT30C not that 10J will make that much difference anyway.

If the EMS PT30C is a better product I will certainly go with it as my plan is to have it in my electric bay anyway, and run an extension cord from the power box to the surge protector to keep it from possibly getting stolen at the CG, so the weather shield being on it or not probably won't be an issue regardless. What are you opinions on these products, and which do you recommend?
ALSO what size gauge etc. extension cord should I buy to accommodate this task?

Now on to the TPMS . The main things I'm personally looking for are
1)Dependability without dozens of false alarms.
2)User replaceable batteries,
3) Ability to remove the locks from the sensors and not have to use an allen wrench or key to remove them,
4)A slow leak warning,
5)A strong enough signal strength to not have to buy a booster to get an adequate signal.
6)I'd like to get one with a drop and hook feature on it which allows you to pick which tires you monitor ie) the ability to monitor the toad tires when not using the RV. Some systems I've researched only allow you to monitor all 10 tires and you can’t separate the toad tires when just driving it so you'd have to buy a 2nd monitor for that purpose.

I have been looking at a few different TPMS systems and I do really like the TST 507 but if I have to buy a separate monitor to monitor the toad, and a booster to be able to hear it etc. I'm not sure it would be the best for me? Also someone mentioned using something called a Repeater with their TST set up-what exactly is a repeater? Is it the same thing as a booster?

I am also looking at one on Amazon called Tire-Safeguard which I really like too. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=A4CXXMNKQJ08W It as of right now the one I'm leaning most towards. I've summited several questions to the people using this unit and they all give it high reviews. They all claim they do NOT need a booster at all with this system, they claim they get excellent reception, readings, etc. I'm not sure about the separation of the toad/RV monitoring with this unit yet, but have issued that question to them as well and am awaiting an answer on it.
Are any of you familiar with the Tire-Safeguard TPMS system? Do any of you know of any reason why this wouldn't be a good choice, especially if I can monitor the RV and Toad separate?

The other one I had considered was the EEZtire T515, but that one does not have the user replaceable batteries, and I would also have to purchase a booster to go along with it, so this one is still up in the air.

Any info you all can offer on any of these items would be appreciated. Thank you all for all your help, and have a wonderful day!!!
Old 03-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #33

Bren10-

I'm a fan of the hard-wired PI EMS with a separate display. There are people on iRV2 who have mounted a portable in an electric bay. The advantage of the hard-wired is reducing the number of connectors in the path, each of which is a potential failure point.

I have the Tire-SafeGuard system for coach and toad. The biggest drawback is that the company has (or so it seems) one tech support guy (likely the reason you may wait a while for an answer to your question). Once you get the system and install it, you don't need to call or e-mail him much, except perhaps for parts, and you can usually wait on that stuff. People with larger coaches than ours claim no need for a repeater. To use the display in your toad, just carry it to the toad- no "add/drop" steps required.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:22 PM   #34

Thank you Mark for the info.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:53 PM   #35

Alpine Owners Club
A couple of hints, after you have hooked up your toad, I turn on the coach lights and pull the 4 way flasher. I then go back to the toad and adjust the SMI Stay and Play Duo to the minimum. As the 4 way flashers flash your brakes will be applied. Once you prove your SMI is working adjust the sensitivity until the brakes stop pulsing. Then walk around to make sure all your lights are working.

Second, your breakaway cable should be short enough to pull the switch after the tow bar breaks, but before the safety cables are at their longest length. That way if your tow Bar breaks your toad's brakes will be applied causing you to notice the increased drag and stopping right away. If the breakaway cable is too long your toad will be a pendulum swaying back and forth on the end of the safety cables until it causes you to loose control or the cables break and you get to see your toad pass your coach going down the road.

Good luck, I have a RM Sterling tow bar, RM Guardian, RM Tow Defender and a SMI Stay and Play Duo, great set up.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:14 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
A couple of hints, after you have hooked up your toad, I turn on the coach lights and pull the 4 way flasher. I then go back to the toad and adjust the SMI Stay and Play Duo to the minimum. As the 4 way flashers flash your brakes will be applied. Once you prove your SMI is working adjust the sensitivity until the brakes stop pulsing. Then walk around to make sure all your lights are working.

Second, your breakaway cable should be short enough to pull the switch after the tow bar breaks, but before the safety cables are at their longest length. That way if your tow Bar breaks your toad's brakes will be applied causing you to notice the increased drag and stopping right away. If the breakaway cable is too long your toad will be a pendulum swaying back and forth on the end of the safety cables until it causes you to loose control or the cables break and you get to see your toad pass your coach going down the road.

Good luck, I have a RM Sterling tow bar, RM Guardian, RM Tow Defender and a SMI Stay and Play Duo, great set up.
Thank you DrDave. When we got the system they never told us how to adjust it or anything. They just hooked us up and said we were good to go. We had been there for about 4 hours after arrival when they had called us early that morning to say our vehicle was ready, so we made the 100 mile trip to pick it up. With us both being disabled and being 100 miles away from home we were totally exhausted and in bad pain to say the least. So when they said you are good to go, we went without hesitation.

My biggest concern was that the RV's breaks started grinding just right after we left with the tow vehicle behind us. We had had no issues, no grinding, or anything with the brakes before that time, so I'm wondering if the SMI (perhaps was not adjusted right or something and may have had something to do with it? If it didn't have anything to do with it, it was a huge coincidence.

EDIT INFO AND QUESTIONS: A couple of questions: Are the safety chains suppose to be crossed ie) right chain to left side and left chain to right side? The reason I asked is when they hooked us up they did not cross the safety chains but when I watched a YouTube about how to properly hook that system up they said to cross the chains, so I was curious if the rest of you folks cross them or not.

Also on the PI EMS system are any of you aware that if you purchase them from the actual company (which they sell for about 100 more on the PI site) they'll honor the life time warranty but if you purchase them from someone on another site like Amazon that the warranty is only for a year? I ran across that info on Amazon last night and one of the people claims they called PI to check on that info and they told him that he had to get the device from them or they would Not honor the lifetime warranty. I just checked on the site and it said that it is exclusive to authorized retailers, sellers, etc. but the one listed on Amazon specifically shows the warranty as 1 year instead of a lifetime warranty. So before I purchase my EMS system I will be contacting PI personally to verify the info. I'll let you all know what I find out.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #37

Alpine Owners Club
Yes the safety chains should be crossed.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:28 PM   #38

Thank you for the info DrDave.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #39

A Couple more questions:

I'm on my way with the tow package installed and functioning well, I received my EMS/surge protector yesterday (Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X). (OH and in regards to the warranty issue mentioned above. Yes, according to the woman I spoke with at PI they will honor the lifetime warranty even if bought off Amazon so, I bought mine on Amazon and save a little money . I think I've decided to go with the 10 Tire-Safeguard Brand TPMS system but haven't ordered it yet, but plan to soon.

I am now in the market for a good portable air compressor to take along with us on our trips. Our RV tires are LT235 85 R16 so the max PSI on our 16" tires is only like 51 pounds, so I suspect most any compressor would do the trick.

I've been looking at 2 different brands-1 is the Viair I really like the 40047 400PR-Rv kit with the longer hoses and 12 volt battery connections on it https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1DXN92KCKEQV4
but it is pretty costly at $249. and I suspect with us only having 16" tires we can get by with either a smaller/less expensive Viair compressor or even a different brand all together The Viair 88 model is like $63.00 and it is 120 max PSI, and they also have nice looking 300 model for $111 that is 150 max PSI.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1DXN92KCKEQV4)
or
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000X90YUO/ref=psdc_155346011_t2_B005ASY23I[/url]

OR

The Porter Cable brand which is $110. It is also 150 max PSI but it is NOT a 12V portable. I'm not sure we even really need a 12 Volt compressor anyway but I kind of like the idea of the 12 volt even though we will have to start the vehicle to air up the tires because I thought it might come in very handy if we have an on the road issue with no access to electric power? Just my thoughts.

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-...air+compressor

Of course if a less expensive smaller model is bought, a longer hose to reach all the tires and a lock on air chuck would also have to be purchased along with that. So that would increase the price of them too. The Viair 400 model already has all those items included in its listed price.

What are your thoughts? Which option would you choose? LOL Oh Decisions, Decisions. Thank you, and have a wonderful day.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:21 PM   #40

I have the Porter one except mine is Sears and looks exactly like that one.

It works well and I have had one for many years. The adaptors are handy for beach rafts etc.

The unit is kind of bulky for RV storage. I have never needed or wish I had a 12V compressor. You will need an extension cord to reach all the RV and toad tires.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:39 PM   #41

Bren10-

I picked up this 12V unit for the toad, but it worked for the former coach's 16-inch tires, too (topping off, not up from zero psi, mind you). I like the fact it has a set-with-auto-shutoff feature. It is definitely not heavy-duty!

The current coach's tires are too big for it, though.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:10 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Bren10-

I picked up this 12V unit for the toad, but it worked for the former coach's 16-inch tires, too (topping off, not up from zero psi, mind you). I like the fact it has a set-with-auto-shutoff feature. It is definitely not heavy-duty!

The current coach's tires are too big for it, though.
Thank you for the info. I'll check those out. There are definitely some advantages to having 16" tires . Sorry it took so long to respond. I've not been feeling well, and we had family come in from out of town, etc..., so I haven't been on for awhile.

Tags
parts, toad