Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2014, 11:03 PM   #15

To the OP,
Well, as you can see and read, there's varying opinions on this issue. And, your assumption of "invalid" information is right if, one does install that LED on the dash and, it's activated by the lever mechanism built into the actuator in the Ready Brake unit. I say invalid because, all it's telling you is the toad is surging on the Ready Brake unit, not that the brakes are being applied. If you, or anyone here is happy with that kind of information, then that's perfectly fine.,

But, when I set mine up, in our '04 Jeep Rubicon as a toad, I did it a simple way for me. I used a tiny toggle switch, mounted in the door jamb of the jeep. Then, I cut the out going wire from the Jeeps brake switch and, sent it up to one side of that toggle switch. Then, I sent another wire, from the other side of the toggle switch, back down to where I cut it the original wire and spliced them together.

Then, I ran a wire from the center of the toggle switch, all the way to the dash in the coach. There, I installed the LED in the dash. Now, when the Jeep is being towed, the brake switch in the Jeep, sends that signal to the toggle and, forward to the coach via flipping the switch forward.

But, when we drove the Jeep, we flipped that switch to the rear which, would send the brake switch signal, the jeeps brake lights, just like normal. It's about a $3.00 remedy for a couple of issues. One, I just told you about and, the other, concerns utilizing the stock tail lights of the toad, for toad lights when towing. It works great for that problem too. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2014, 04:34 AM   #16

Yes We have a Ready Brute Elete and yes I installed the light and I also installed a light to show me when the break lights are actually on. I ran the wire from the collision avoidance light on the rear of our Jeep Wrangler. I like both lights but the break light one tells me for sure weather or not the break lights are on, thus letting me know that the breaks are working.....Alan
hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post

But, when we drove the Jeep, we flipped that switch to the rear which, would send the brake switch signal, the jeeps brake lights, just like normal.
Scott
So if you forget to flip the switch you have no brake light on the Jeep when driving it?
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
So if you forget to flip the switch you have no brake light on the Jeep when driving it?
In the four years we owned the Jeep, never once did we forget to flip the switch. It was a "routine" every time we either hooked up for towing or, disconnected for driving. Not to mention, I backed the Jeep into place, about 99.9% of the time we went anywhere, (due to standard practice being on an FD for so many years) and that caused me to automatically check the brake lights reflecting off of anything that would reflect them.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
In the four years we owned the Jeep, never once did we forget to flip the switch. It was a "routine" every time we either hooked up for towing or, disconnected for driving. Not to mention, I backed the Jeep into place, about 99.9% of the time we went anywhere, (due to standard practice being on an FD for so many years) and that caused me to automatically check the brake lights reflecting off of anything that would reflect them.
Scott
For the worry warts, afraid you'll drive off with the switch set wrong, it'd be simple to add a light on the dashboard of the jeep that would light along with the dashboard indicator on the RV. I know you don't need it, but tell folks in the future that's how you set it up to avoid their condemnation.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:07 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't have a ready Brute, But I did use a toad brake indicator for a while till I learned the secrets of setting up my brake system. I used a $9 set of HF mag towing lights. Plug them into the trailer connector of the Honda, placed them on the DASH. When the Hondas brakes were applied the trailer lights, lit up on the dash and I could see them in in the rear view camera. They did not light with just the MH brakes applied, only if the Honda's pedel was pushed.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:36 AM   #21

I wired a towed brake light to the dash back when I used a Brake Buddy type system. With this brake light I found that the brakes were never applied unless I was in a panic stop situation. That's why I changed to the Ready Brute. I now see that the towed brakes are applied with moderate braking which is what I wanted.

On my coach there is a wire that runs from the floorboard near the steering wheel to the 7 pin connector at the hitch. It was placed there for electric brake use to a trailer. I added a wire from the towed brake light switch to the towed's 6 pin connector that now goes all the way to the cockpit of the coach. I added a light that is controlled by the towed's brake lights using the towed's battery. I works for me and is connected any time I hook up the towed's light cable. The NSA LED and cable is in my junk box. Maybe I'll find some use for it.
Bago40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:46 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
We also use the ready brake system & do have the light connected. We did have a problem with the braking system itself & discovered it when the light wasn't going on. So yes, most of the time it's not necessary, but once in awhile it serves a greater purpose.
karencollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:34 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Brakelights on Dash

I love RGVTexan's idea. I have some Velcro and a surplus, unused boat trailer light on hand. All I need is to add a trailer connection to the Honda, which I planned to do anyway.

Simple, effective, cheap and quick!
Old 08-17-2014, 10:47 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPro View Post
I love RGVTexan's idea. I have some Velcro and a surplus, unused boat trailer light on hand. All I need is to add a trailer connection to the Honda, which I planned to do anyway.

Simple, effective, cheap and quick!
I forgot to say that I have separate bulbs for the MH controlled lights, if you are using diodes this may not work. It would depend on where the trailer lights get their signal. But it wouldn't take much to check. It does work well in my case.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #25

I have had the ReadyBrute for a few years and wired directly to the brake light switch on my Suzuki. I noticed that sometimes the light would stay on for a short time after I was off the brake, so I added a spring from the brake pedal to the seat. It is an extra thing to do but I notice very quickly if I forget.
Great brake system.
earlylynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:00 PM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPro View Post
ReadyBrute Elite. It came with a red light that is supposed to be mounted in the dash to indicate when the brake is on. It plugs into the hitch, not the toad's brake lights, so I wonder about the value of that information.

I would love to hear opinions about whether installing this indicator is worth the expense (I would have my favorite shop do the work).
Well, ProjectPro, I think you've seen evidence that the original configuration as supplied only shows the lever has moved on the hitch. The modifications various folks have done, wiring the light to the toad brake lights, etc. are providing much more information the the RV driver about when the brakes are applied. That would be a good use for the dashboard indicator light!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:00 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have used the ReadyBrute Elite for about 3.5 years now with good results. Like some others I have 2 lights installed on my dash, the one that comes with the system that tells me the lever has moved forward and a second that tells me when my Toad brake has been applied. Awhile ago I found neither of my lights were coming on. I found that the surge mechanism was not moving forward. I would not have known this easily without the light. I sent the surge brake portion of the tow bar back to NSA. They cleaned/reconditioned the system (free of charge) and returned it to me in about a week. Now the system is working like new again. I think the lights are valuable for diagnostics and cable adjustments. You don't want the toad brake being applied when you go over a bump or through a dip in the road. Good luck.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:25 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
RGVTexan - I use "mouse ears", so the Honda's brake light should operate the boat light without further ado.

Tags
brake