Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2008, 05:09 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good morning all. I'm waiting for my ReadyBrake / ReadyBrute tow bar to come via ups next week. I've read a lot of good about the system and was curious if anyone here has installed it on a 07 or newer Wrangler. I sold the Falcon 2 and evenbrake and will be giving the ReadyBrute a test run next week down to Paso Robles.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2008, 05:09 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good morning all. I'm waiting for my ReadyBrake / ReadyBrute tow bar to come via ups next week. I've read a lot of good about the system and was curious if anyone here has installed it on a 07 or newer Wrangler. I sold the Falcon 2 and evenbrake and will be giving the ReadyBrute a test run next week down to Paso Robles.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #3

Here is a web page that shows specs, informational... if anyone is interested.

Rated at 8,000 lbs towing capacity

BillArf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Rick, I've used the Ready Brake surge receiver that Bill Arf posted in the above thread for the last 2 years. It's a great simple device. I will be selling the receiver and the Adventa tow bar that I currently have, and will be purchasing the same set up you are waiting for. I will be using it on my 08' Wrangler Unlimited. I have no qualms about it's effectivness or reliability. I am waiting at the moment for my blue ox base plate. I hooked up my CoolTech harness today.
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:12 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm excited to get it set up on the Jeep. There will be a few challenges however. I'd like to see a picture of the cable routing. There are not many places to bring the cable out to the front without making a sharp bend. My thought is to bring it out right through the bumper, between the fog lights near the top. There is unobstructed area from behind to bring the cable though there. We'll also have to remove the heatshield on the firewall as well to install the grommet throught the firewall. I'm a one man army on this project and hope that I can get it done before Friday when we leave for Paso Robles. The package should be here Wednesday.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:56 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Yeah, the routing of the cable would be a question. I routed the cable on my 01' Wrangler over the top, along a brace rod that all the Wranglers had at that time. The Rubicon doesn't have such a brace, but the lesson here is not to discount running the cable up on top somewhere as opposed to down low. Might be easier to find a path without a moving part to worry about. Let me know how you do, I will be ordering one soon!

Sarge
Old 03-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just got done with the re-wire the cooltech harness. Now it runs through the frame. Very clean install. I think that the bumper idea might work for the Ready Brake. After being under the car for the last couple of hours I think it might be the only way with out sharp bends. A couple of slow sweepers right to the area right above the license plate. There's plenty of room. More on that as the story develops.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:36 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, a busy day today. I installed the ReadyBrute towbar today. Running the cable wasn't to big a deal. I moved the lighting connector over to the center a bit so that I could use one of the extra holes in the bracket to mount the cable ferill to. I'll snap a few pictures and post them tomorrow. We still need to hook the Jeep up to the coach to make the final brake cable adjustment. I also removed and re-installed the brackets. The 1428-1's are a tight fit and had some bruises from the first install. They are all repainted and re-installed. I also bought all new Grade 8 bolts and locking nuts. We'll give it the first road test on Friday on a short 120 miles trip down to Paso Robles for a few days.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Outstanding Rick! Some pics would be way cool. I tear into the Jeep tomorrow and mount the Blue Ox base plate and a Rough Country winch mount onto the stock bumper. If all goes well I will order a winch and the tow bar next. Shoot, it's only money..........
Old 03-27-2008, 05:43 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here are few pictures. The Tow bar is one fantastic piece of work.

Here's a shot with the front arms installed

Here's a close up of how I mounted the cable end to the lighting connector

You can give me a call at 928-830-2248 and I can explain the cable routing under the hood. The hardest part was getting a power tool under the dash.
One big tip for lighting. I used the CoolTech Harness. Although it's installation is very straight forward be advised that you should remove fuse M1 along with the IOD fuse before you tow. If your RV uses the same bulb for blinking as it does for stopping, this is a must. Here's a pic.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:12 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Outstanding Rick! I will be giving you a call........
Old 03-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #12

Rick and Julia, I used one of the cable socket bolts on my HHR baseplate for my ReadyBrake cable just like in your picture. My cable housing makes a pretty tight 90 deg. turn right behind the mount, but the cable slides through it just fine. I love the ReadyBrake. It works worry-free, and the indicator light on the coach dash lights up to show me the HHR brakes activate for firm stops, but not for easy stops. The RB instructions say to use the lower hole on the activator arm for heavier vehicles, but the top one is fine for my 3200# HHR. Getting the tension set just right on the connector cable takes a bit of trial and error I found.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:04 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the info. I'm going to adjust per instructions. It takes about 1/2 of pull on the cable mounted to the jeep before the lights come on. I'll snug up the cable to the MH with that in mind.