Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2022, 09:38 AM   #1

ReadyBrake on a GMC Canyon/Chev Colorado

Has anybody installed a ReadyBrake system on a GMC Canyon? If so, are there any installation issues I should be aware of?

Thanks..
Revconguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2022, 10:18 AM   #2

No I haven't but have used one for years, the main issue is routing an aircraft cable from the brake pedal through the engine compartment to the front bumper area, if you can do that you should be good.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsupersonic View Post
No I haven't but have used one for years, the main issue is routing an aircraft cable from the brake pedal through the engine compartment to the front bumper area, if you can do that you should be good.
Thank you. My Canyon is a diesel so the engine compartment is a little busy. I hope I don't have problems.
Old 01-31-2022, 05:14 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My neighbor installed it on his 2016 GMC Canyon diesel. No special issues, just takes a bit of work and calculating to route the cable to the brake pedal.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:29 PM   #5

Did mine... It's a little tight but not bad.

Remove the left front tire and loosen the plastic wheel well liner so you have access to the firewall area. That will make it much easier to route and secure the cable.

What base plate are you using?

I used the Blue Ox due to my RV is a gasser and the height of the hitch (approx 23") matches the Baseplate connections.

You may consider the Roadmaster baseplate due to you have a DP and likely your hitch is lower than my gasser. The RM utilizes the OEM tow hook mounts

If you use the RM you'll have to make some type of bracket for the front cable mount

For your battery disconnect I use a Perko marine type switch. It is compact medium duty. The Diesel requires higher amp than the gasser. I tried the green knob type but had random issues of non-connection. Roadmaster makes a real nice power solenoid disconnect but after conferring with RM we determined it wasn't rated with a high enough amp for the diesel. It's fine for the gas Canyon

Also recommend a brake activation light for the RV dash. A fairly cheap mechanical works fine if you can fab up your own bracket but Roadmaster has a new laser activated gizmo that attaches to your brake pedal and senses the pedal movement and sends a signal for your light.... very nice

If you have any questions or comments feel free to PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0671.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	355221  
Old 02-01-2022, 03:48 AM   #6

Thank you. It's unfortunate that the cable comes through the firewall behind the wheel liner. That makes it much more difficult than I had hoped. I may have to rethink my brake system.

How does the wheel liner come loose? Does it just unsnap or something?

For the baseplate, I'm using a CURT model along with a CURT Rambler tow bar. That's the only brand my installer uses. Unfortunately, my installer doesn't do brake systems and I'll likely have to install it myself. I was hoping it wouldn't be that difficult and awkward.
Old 02-02-2022, 08:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revconguy View Post
Thank you. It's unfortunate that the cable comes through the firewall behind the wheel liner. That makes it much more difficult than I had hoped. I may have to rethink my brake system.

How does the wheel liner come loose? Does it just unsnap or something?

For the baseplate, I'm using a CURT model along with a CURT Rambler tow bar. That's the only brand my installer uses. Unfortunately, my installer doesn't do brake systems and I'll likely have to install it myself. I was hoping it wouldn't be that difficult and awkward.
It's not necessary to remove the liner but it makes it considerately easier and much less awkward. The liner removal is simple if you have the tools, pretty much the same as this video....

Looks like the Curt is the same as the BlueOx and the connect point may be higher than your RV hitch. You'll have to measure your hitch but generally DP hitches are lower than 23". You may need a drop similar to this to level the towbar to the baseplate connection:
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapt...4aAsyzEALw_wcB

Your installer will be able to measure and determine what you need

There are many brake options available for you. I like the Ready brake for the simplicity.

Since you are not using the Ready brake Elite tow bar (which has the integrated brake actuator) you would have to use the Ready Brake receiver style brake actuator (pic) which frankly in my opinion makes a lot of moving pieces.

I had initially used this receiver brake actuator with a Roadmaster tow bar before. It worked fine but I was not comfortable with all the pieces and eventually went with the ReadyBrake Elite tow bar.

As I said, feel free to pm or even call me if you need clarification on any of this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 6.59.17 AM.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	355327  
Old 02-02-2022, 09:43 AM   #8

Thank you for your assistance. I viewed the video and it didn't look very difficult. In the video, they removed the front part of the liner and I'll be removing the rear but I presume the process is pretty much the same. I plan to drive the truck up on ramps before I start the install so I can work from below by sliding under with a creeper. Hopefully, that will help me route the cable. I also noted that they were able to remove the front wheel well liner without removing the tire. I hope the same goes for the rear part of the liner.

I would have liked to use the Ready Brake tow bar but my installer only dealt with CURT products. As for the possible alignment issues, I've already ordered a 2" drop/rise hitch adapter just in case I need it. I'll find out after I finish getting my baseplate installed. Again, I appreciate your assistance.

Tags
brake, colorado