Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2015, 08:07 PM   #29

ReadyBrake for Mountain driving ?

I read several posts that suggest that compression braking will activate the toad brake with the ReadyBrake system. That seems reasonable too my understanding, however, I would appreciate any real world experience.
Living in the NorthWest we have lots of extended compression braking. I am researching for a 3500# jeep liberty, but expect to upgrade toad in near future.
I think the M&G is probably the best, but I hate to buy a system I can not use with a new toad.
The MH is 34,000#, so the additional jeep weight is less than the MH's Cargo Carring Capacity when we travel.
However, the Law is the Law.
rmbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2015, 10:44 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmbarr View Post
I read several posts that suggest that compression braking will activate the toad brake with the ReadyBrake system. That seems reasonable too my understanding, however, I would appreciate any real world experience.
Living in the NorthWest we have lots of extended compression braking. I am researching for a 3500# jeep liberty, but expect to upgrade toad in near future.
I think the M&G is probably the best, but I hate to buy a system I can not use with a new toad.
The MH is 34,000#, so the additional jeep weight is less than the MH's Cargo Carring Capacity when we travel.
However, the Law is the Law.
We have had our Readybrake for about 2 years / 22000 miles, towing our Jeep Wrangler. Back and forth across the Rockies and Siskiyou's.
Have not had any issues with engine brake activation of Ready Brake. Engine brake comes on reasonable softly which gives RB time to react. It does apply Jeep brakes but not excessively. I asked Readybrake how much the " arm " moves. They told me it can travel about 3" under panic braking conditions, which would lock up Jeep brakes as well. Leave a little slack in the connection cable and you should be OK.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:52 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Has anybody done a Suburban with this system?

FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:21 PM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Living in Wisconsin we don't have the inclines like those that live with mountains would but we do have some areas with long inclines and my experience is that when going down long inclines the brakes for my toad are not activated by the ReadyBrute surge brake unless I use the brakes in the motorhome or the motorhome downshifts as my Workhorse chassis actually has very affective engine braking. In either case if the toad brake is activated by the ReadyBrute it is only for a very brief time-think seconds if engine braking is activated or until I take my foot off the motorhomes brake pedal. In other words the ReadyBrute only activates the brakes when the toad is trying to travel faster than the motorhome towing it. As soon as both vehicles are moving at the same speed the ReadyBrute ceases applying pressure to the toad's brake pedal.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:58 PM   #33

Finally ready to try readybrake

I am a newbie when it comes to pulling a toad. I have reaserched tow bars, base plates , toads and brake systems. After searching this forum and others my decision came down to , need , cost, ease of installation ( DYI ),and performance! I have been on a mission and spendiing spree. DW is in shock!
2 weeks ago purchased toad 2015 jeep 4d wrangler h/t s /t combo. Ordered roadmaster EZ5 baseplate last Friday , received Monday installed Tuesday easily ( one person) do drill , some modification of plastic air dam, also diode type wiring harness plug and play. Received readybrake tow bar and readybrake away system yesterday ,installed today (all day) most time consuming and difficult positioning ( for 62 y/o not as thin as he thought) Towbar was easy 5 - 10 min hook up to jeep. Totally satisfied with installation appearance and ease of hitching and unhitching . Will be taken out for trial run to test tomorrow.
Just in time to take motorhome to factory for repairs on Monday.
Thanks to all who have posted their experiences and recommendations.
Just posted this to let others know it is doable by just following the instructions and checking out the the videos on utube.
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:01 PM   #34

I've used the ReadyBrake with my Demco bar for about 10 years without any problems. Just purchased a new toad and will the the ReadyBrake lines installed in 2 weeks.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:06 AM   #35

I am beginning to think Readybrake needs it's own forum
bruscifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #36

Thanks

Thanks for the ReadyBrake experiance posts.
I believe the amount cable slack will determine the degree of toad braking that will occur during combression braking.
Thanks to all that replied......Bob
rmbarr is offline   Reply With Quote