Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2016, 05:40 AM   #15

Easyrider has described our experience with the Readybrute. We have been through the Smokey's twice since the installation and I've never felt more comfortable. We only have a single stage exhaust brake and with it applied the Readybrute did not activate UNLESS I applied the brake.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2014 RAM 1500 Quad Cab Ecodiesel Toad
2013 Scion XB Toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forumk
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 07:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevL View Post
Question; how do the surge brakes work when going down long steep grades? Are the brakes on the toad applied all the way down?
From ReadyBrakes FAQ:

Going down a steep grade mountain pass will the Ready Brake activate?
No. We have engineered the Ready Brake not to activate until you step on the brake pedal of the motorhome. In our Ready Brake we have an oil filled shock absorber and a 250 lbs spring. The weight of the towed vehicle has to over come both of these before it will activate.

When traveling down a steep grade the motorhome and the towed vehicle are traveling at the same speed so the Ready Brake will not activate. If you use jake brakes on the motorhome they will not apply enough pressure on the Ready Brake to activate it.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:39 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
I guess my thoughts is you have a brake system on the toad to help slow everything down, so I'm wondering what if any concern there would be about them activating going down a hill?
Just was thinking of over heating, premature wear, etc. If they were to get over heated and you then needed them for a hard stop they wouldn't offer much help at that point.

Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:40 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
From ReadyBrakes FAQ:

No. We have engineered the Ready Brake not to activate until you step on the brake pedal of the motorhome. In our Ready Brake we have an oil filled shock absorber and a 250 lbs spring. The weight of the towed vehicle has to over come both of these before it will activate.

When traveling down a steep grade the motorhome and the towed vehicle are traveling at the same speed so the Ready Brake will not activate. If you use jake brakes on the motorhome they will not apply enough pressure on the Ready Brake to activate it.
Excellent, sounds reasonable.

Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:50 AM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I highly recommend the ReadyBrute Elite towbars! I think it's the best buy out there, and I've never heard about one of these failing on the road!

I used the Roadmaster XL baseplate on the 2013 Honda CRV because we like how clean the front of the car looks when not towing!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:40 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Remember any auxiliary brake system will use your toad brakes to help slow down both the toad and RV, and also use the towed vehicle brakes in the event of a breakaway situation. All auxiliary brake systems activate when the motor home brakes are applied. What tells the auxiliary brakes to apply varies amongst the manufacturers. ReadyBrute uses a simple mechanical method through a surge brake system to tell the towed brakes to apply. Others use inertia/electrical systems, direct hydraulic systems, or other means to activate the towed vehicle brakes. I like the ReadyBrute system because it is simple, not much to go wrong or fail on it, and it's easy to hook up and unhook.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:14 AM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
From ReadyBrakes FAQ:

Good info! I had not seen that before although I had found it to be true!
Old 07-16-2016, 06:36 PM   #22

Just got back from my first trip with the ReadyBrute Elite. Loved it, worked flawlessly. I towed my Jeep Wrangler with a very low profile Demco baseplate. Great combo. Easy set up and go.
eng309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:15 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Purchased our Ready Brute in March of this year and love it. Really easy to setup, works perfectly and it is built really well.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:35 AM   #24
Community Moderator

so many recommended it, it must be good... could anyone confirm if the elite is made of steel or aluminum alloy?
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:08 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
so many recommended it, it must be good... could anyone confirm if the elite is made of steel or aluminum alloy?
Bars are steel. Tubes are aluminum. Brake section is steel. I have adapters for Demco and Blue Ox baseplate. Demco's are Steel. Blue Ox is aluminum.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:23 AM   #26
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
Bars are steel. Tubes are aluminum. Brake section is steel. I have adapters for Demco and Blue Ox baseplate. Demco's are Steel. Blue Ox is aluminum.
thanks. steel is good as aluminum is too soft and subjective to fatigue. i can't tolerate a chance of failure though slim in towing.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #27
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
thanks. steel is good as aluminum is too soft and subjective to fatigue. i can't tolerate a chance of failure though slim in towing.

As I mentioned earlier, I've never heard of one of these failing! Anyone else?
Old 07-17-2016, 02:52 PM   #28

Using mine for over 5 years and 20k plus miles. No problems..
Indy54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow