Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2007, 05:39 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
2003 Honda Civic EX coupe.

Weighs 2800#.
35 mpg.
Honda quality and resale speaks for itself.
Brackets are Roadmaster's 'EZ Twistlock' Series 'Hidden' Brackets. The visible portion of the brackets (the "front arms") can be easily removed when not towing "” simply twist the front arms 90? to convert from towed car to road car in seconds!
Roadmaster Sterling 6,000 pound capacity motorhome-mounted aluminum tow bar (The highest capacity aluminum tow bar available).

-Tom

Those are love bugs on the bumper, not stone chips.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2007, 05:51 AM   #16

I wanted a relatively small 4-wheel drive that was easy to tow, because I wanted to be able to go up into the 4-wheel drive trails in Colorado. I had a Wrangler for a while, but ended up with a Liberty -- it's just a better ride, and a lot quieter. (I could actually talk to a passenger now -- what a concept!!) Never been sorry I went the Jeep route.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:51 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Liberty, Made in America, means alot to ME (south America/north America)Sort of dance with
the one that brought you!!!!!!Easy to tow 4 down, installed Blue Ox base plate myself,color
matches MH,its does double duty as my wifes ride,and she loves it. Towed 33K, Liberty showes
64K miles, replaced both 02 sencers, and a rear wheel seal. (axle)
She drove an 08 liberty last wk. wider and longer wheel base. Did not have her color,but
will buy another Liberty! TENN.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:33 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
We boondock a lot in Arizona so wanted a pickup so I could carry a motorcycle, extra water and easily transport a Blue Boy waste tank to the rv dump. But didn't want, or need, 4-wheel drive anymore so opted for a two wheel drive 4-door Colorado Pickup. Weighs about 3500 lbs while towing w/motorcycle.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:00 AM   #19
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I find as I get older I like to get some things that I want. Not everything has to be a compromise.

My Yukon does what I want it to do.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:42 PM   #20

We have a 2006 Trailblazer and have towed it around 5,000 miles now . It ways 4,600 pounds and we have a Roadmaster Towing package and a Even break. Our Ford V10 does a good job towing it . We have a 5,000 tow limit on the reciver and we got the Sterling Tow bar 6,000 pounds. We could have bought a smaller car or suv but at 6ft 3 inchs I liked the room the Trailblazer gives me . All you have to do is turn a switch to put into nutural and pull the keys . No fuses to pull eather. We can be ready in about 10 min with the wifes help alittle longer if I do it by my self.
charlie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 03:47 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
With a small motor home, size of the toad really matters! Little is good.

After some research, we chose a Scion xA because:
- light weight, 2360 lbs.
- tows four down without modification (manual trans)
- great Toyota quality and economy
- it's just so darn cute!

We've towed it for more than 20,000 miles with no problems whatsoever. No fuses to pull, no towed miles are logged. We use all Roadmaster towing stuff - baseplate, tow bar, BrakePro supplemental brake.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:23 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We choose our toad because if offers both hi-cubic storage capacity and light weight. The AWD and V6 provide excellent performance under most weather related driving conditions.

Yes, We would consider buying another Saturn Vue especially given the new 4 cylinder-hybrid option.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:51 PM   #23

I have towed a Malibu Chevy for 5 years now. It is an easy set up and the Ford chassis doesn't know it is tagging along. 6 cyl peppy engine, lot of passenger room and nice looking. Comfortable car to ride and drive. Gets about 26 mpg at its best, which is probably it's weakest point. I use a Roadmaster Stowaway stainless tow bar which makes hook up a snap.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:17 PM   #24

We chose a Saturn Vue AWD V6 because of its ease of operation when hooking up and for its excellent towing. We have Blue Ox equipment and have had very good experience with it. The Vue has two weak spots in my opinion- Very noisey engine [valve train] and the transmission seems to downshift very early when going up any kind of grade or hill. We are very comfortable in it while driving and would probably buy another Vue since they have changed to a better engine/transmission set-up for '08.
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:59 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
We have an 07 Saturn Vue. It rides good, has power, gets good mileage and is easy to hook up. We selected it mainly for the ride and the ease of towing.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:14 AM   #26

mrswchwarz: Have you ever checked your average mileage on your 07 Vue? If affirmative would you care to comment on it? I have a friend who wants to go to the Vue for a toad. From all reports, it is a good toad.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:40 PM   #27

2005 Honda Element
It took the place (somewhat) of my pickup truck which was not towable. I fly model airplanes and it will haul 2 large ones with the seats folded up.
My former toad was a 96 Tracker 4wd which was useless to me as an everyday vehicle so it sat around and waited for a trip. And Repair parts were sooooo expensive.
Automatic towable with no fuse pulling.
Easy to clean with the plastic floor.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:36 PM   #28

Appalachian Campers
Bought a used RV and had nothing to tow. Found our little old 93 Saturn SL2 Coupe at a car lot for $ 1,500. A real steal in my book. Bought the tow kit off of Ebay, hooked her up and away we go. Car has a LOT of miles on it, but still just purrs along. Wife drives it on a pretty much daily basis to keep from racking up so many miles on her 03 Mustang GT. Light weight, good on gas, and cheap. 3 good reasons to own it.