Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-05-2022, 12:31 PM   #1

Receiver screw-in lock

The receiver lock that I have been using for a very long time has begun to show serious signs of use and rust, so I think I need to replace it. It is one of the screw-in types of locks rather than the new ones that I see where the lock snaps onto the pin to secure it. I think that the screw-in version is less likely to come loose during towing so I would like to find one of those, but all of the receiver locks that I see on Amazon seem to be the snap-on kind.

I am towing a 4000 pound Jeep Wrangler so I want a lock for a Class III/IV hitch receiver, with a 5/8" pin, of course. Can anyone recommend a screw-in type of receiver lock?
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2022, 12:36 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you leave the ball in all the time, why not use a grade 8 bolt and lock nut doubled up. It would be a whole lot stronger than a mild steel pin.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2014 Chrysler T&C, on a Master Tow Dolly.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 03:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
If you leave the ball in all the time, why not use a grade 8 bolt and lock nut doubled up. It would be a whole lot stronger than a mild steel pin.
Two reasons.

First, I don't always leave the tow bar in place. Normally I do, and it sits in protected and covered storage when not in use, but there are times when I remove the tow bar for various reasons.

Second, I want to do what I can to protect it from being stolen when we are camping somewhere, but not around. We often boondock, so there may not be anyone around the RV to see if someone is trying to remove it, and we tow our Jeep because we often go on several hour drives to see what is around. So the RV may or may not be in the middle of nowhere, but in either case we may not be around to keep an eye on it and prevent someone from steeling the tow bar. A bolt, even with a locking washer, is pretty easy to remove with a couple of decent size wrenches.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:44 AM   #4

Have you checked "etrailer.com?"
https://www.etrailer.com
2023 Coach House 271XLFR on order
Terraboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:24 AM   #5

Don't know this company but they do show a 5/8" that uses a key to turn a screw. Click the image to enlarge, then click the right arrow to get to image 10.
Factor55 - locking hitch pin

Etrailer has this one
Threaded anti rattle hitch pin

I haven't had a screw type hitch pin like those in ages. Have found that the regular snap over the groove types work just fine. Never had one come loose but I have always made sure to give them a tug after removing the key. I would not buy a cheap one from Amazon.
Old 10-06-2022, 01:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraboat View Post
Have you checked "etrailer.com?"
https://www.etrailer.com
Thanks for the suggestion. I had not thought of them, so I just called them. Unfortunately they did not have any of the screw-in type. Only the snap-on.
Old 10-06-2022, 01:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Don't know this company but they do show a 5/8" that uses a key to turn a screw. Click the image to enlarge, then click the right arrow to get to image 10.
Factor55 - locking hitch pin

Etrailer has this one
Threaded anti rattle hitch pin

I haven't had a screw type hitch pin like those in ages. Have found that the regular snap over the groove types work just fine. Never had one come loose but I have always made sure to give them a tug after removing the key. I would not buy a cheap one from Amazon.
Your link to the eTrailer item is interesting because I just got off the phone with them and was told that they did not have any of those. Thanks for the link.

Fortunately I have no previous experience with the snap-on locks coming apart, but I have seen reviews of people who said that happened to them, and thought it would be easier than this to find a screw-in type. You have linked to two of them, so thank you. What is interesting is that I did not think to use the keyword "threaded" when doing my searches. Doing that has displayed some others, so now I see a fair number of them.

As far as Amazon is concerned, I often see the same brands on Amazon as I see at places like eTrailer so I think it is the brand that is important, not the place where the purchase is made. I often use Amazon because I can usually count on quick shipping. I am towing a new Jeep Wrangler and I have no interest in buying a hitch pin that is too cheap to do the job. I would rather spend another $20 on the hitch pin than try to convince my insurance company that they should buy me a new Jeep.
Old 10-06-2022, 02:08 PM   #8

I have used the below for years with no issues.
you will need to add a additional hole to the receiver.
https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index...CABEgKdpPD_BwE
Old 10-06-2022, 04:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post

As far as Amazon is concerned, I often see the same brands on Amazon as I see at places like eTrailer so I think it is the brand that is important, not the place where the purchase is made. I often use Amazon because I can usually count on quick shipping. I am towing a new Jeep Wrangler and I have no interest in buying a hitch pin that is too cheap to do the job. I would rather spend another $20 on the hitch pin than try to convince my insurance company that they should buy me a new Jeep.
Didn't mean to say that Amazon was to be avoided (it's one of my favorite places to shop). I've ordered plenty of cheap overseas stuff off the site that has worked ok. But for something important like this, it's probably best not to go with an unheard of brand.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Didn't mean to say that Amazon was to be avoided (it's one of my favorite places to shop). I've ordered plenty of cheap overseas stuff off the site that has worked ok. But for something important like this, it's probably best not to go with an unheard of brand.
Found this when doing some research. It is a threaded hitch lock, rated at Class III/IV, stainless steel and made in the US.

Does anyone have any experience with this lock? Or this company?
Old 10-21-2022, 07:02 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I bought two screw type locking pins at Camping World last year for our tow bar and hitch.
Old 10-23-2022, 12:35 PM   #12

Blue Ox has locking pins. O Ring protected against moisture. Heavy chrome plated. Fit nice and snug in the receiver. I lubricate the lock once a year when I remove for winter storage along with lubricating and removing my tow bar.

I bought them in a 2 or 3 bubble pack, can't remember which. Having a spare is a good idea to me some may consider it overkill.
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr