Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Recommendation on SUVs

Hi, I am in the market for a new 2013 SUV (either AWD or 4WD) and would like any recommendations for the following models: Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV 4, Nissan Rouge, Mazda CRX-5(?) or any other models you would suggest. I plan to tow using a tow dolly. Any comments would be appreciated. I hate the whole car buying process and if any of these SUVs can NOT be towed with a dolly, that information would help narrow down the process without the "pressure of a sales person with no knowledge of RV towing".

Forgot to mention, plan on an automatic tranmission.

Thanks!
Nap&Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know about the towing details, but we bought a new Mazda CX5 a few months ago and love it.

I hadn't bought a new car for quite some time and was actually surprised with how painless the process was. It appeared to me that many auto dealers these days are moving to a model which involves non commissioned sales support people and I found them to be very helpful. Dealers were willing to give me a bottom line price on line or over the phone so comparison shopping was pretty easy.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #3

Why tow with a dolly? It is something you have to deal with when not in use, some campground don't have a place to store and you have to tow the dolly to the storage area in those that have them. Just get a toad you can tow 4 down like any of the CR-V models and all you have to do is disconnect and go.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by waroland View Post
Why tow with a dolly? It is something you have to deal with when not in use, some campground don't have a place to store and you have to tow the dolly to the storage area in those that have them. Just get a toad you can tow 4 down like any of the CR-V models and all you have to do is disconnect and go.
I totally agree... dollys are just a pain in the arse. There are plenty of small/mid size SUVs that are 4-down towable....ours for instance. All that you mentioned (with the exception of the CRV) are (I believe) not 4-down towable. Check out small GM SUVs (Terrain/Equinox).

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
I totally agree... dollys are just a pain in the arse. There are plenty of small/mid size SUVs that are 4-down towable....ours for instance. All that you mentioned (with the exception of the CRV) are (I believe) not 4-down towable. Check out small GM SUVs (Terrain/Equinox).

Ron

can't see what you tow, what is it?
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
can't see what you tow, what is it?
Sorry... I thought it was in my signature. We have a 2011 GMC Terrain SLT-2. V6, Auto 6-speed, AWD and every option available. The Chevy Equinox is identical except for the body style. It gets decent (but not great) mpg, lots of power, very comfortable, quite and smooth riding.

We were also very interested in the CRV, but it didn't have near the options the GMC had, was not as smooth and quiet riding and had less interior space. But it was a couple thousand cheaper and got a little better mph.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nap&Joe View Post
Hi, I am in the market for a new 2013 SUV (either AWD or 4WD) and would like any recommendations for the following models: Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV 4, Nissan Rouge, Mazda CRX-5(?) or any other models you would suggest. I plan to tow using a tow dolly...
Not only are dollies a PITA, but if you want 4WD or AWD, you will not be able to use a dolly unless the vehicle is 4WD and has a transfer case with neutral. Some vehicles with a transfer case with neutral can be towed with 2 wheels on a dolly, but the the vehicles with a transfer case having neutral are usually only full-sized pickups and SUVs. For most crossover SUVs, you will need to tow 4-down or use a trailer. With most 4WD or AWD, either all wheels must turn or no wheels must turn when being towed.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #8

New Jeep Cherokee. Tow 4 down.
Billua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nap&Joe View Post
Hi, I am in the market for a new 2013 SUV (either AWD or 4WD) and would like any recommendations for the following models: Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV 4, Nissan Rouge, Mazda CRX-5(?) or any other models you would suggest. I plan to tow using a tow dolly. Any comments would be appreciated. I hate the whole car buying process and if any of these SUVs can NOT be towed with a dolly, that information would help narrow down the process without the "pressure of a sales person with no knowledge of RV towing".

Forgot to mention, plan on an automatic tranmission.

Thanks!

If you use a dolly, you will not be able to tow any of these if they are AWD or 4x4. You will need a front drive SUV.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billua View Post
+ 1 It looks like the new Cherokee is going to be a popular toad. Many have already bought them to tow, and Blue Ox is set to make a tow bracket for them soon.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #11

Somebody is going to say Wrangler. May as well be me!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1759103590.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	465.5 KB
ID:	50730
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #12

+1 on the Equinox. Have just got ours setup to flat tow although the steering cooler caused me some problems.

We looked at the Jeep Cherokee but the trunk was too small for our needs.

Also looked at the new Explorer and Edge but both were beyond our budget. Bought the Equinox used.

As has been said, if planning to dolly tow, you have pretty much ruled out every 4WD vehicle but at the same time, you've included almost every front-wheel drive vehicle.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billua View Post
Same here. Grand Cherokee ( it gets great milage, when it's being towed) Dollies are just a royal PITA. It's just one more thing that has to be attached and one more place where something can go wrong.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #14

We love our Honda CRV. You can tow 4 down or on a dolly. I have towed with a dolly but much prefer 4 down even though I have only towed that way once since I bought my CRV
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote