Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-03-2021, 01:40 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Location: Full timer. Touring Western states and provinces. Domicile is S Dakota.
Recommendations for towing and braking

Hi,

I have a Newmar 34 ft Kountry Aire and a 2006 CRV AWD Auto

I need a tow bar and braking system and like the Ready brake
Ready Brute Elite II after reading about it.
I'm in SE Missouri and having trouble finding someone to supply and instal.

One response offered a Roadmaster "Falcon All Terrain, Non-Binding Tow Bar - Motorhome Mount - 2" Hitch - 6,000 lbs."
Do any of you have this and would comment?
What braking system do you use for your toad and are you happy with it?

I'm new to Class A motor homes/toads, have experience with an SUV towing a travel trailer.

I'm just starting my adventures as a full-timer.

Thanks
tomdrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2021, 02:24 PM   #2

I have the readybrute elite and it is a good solid, HEAVY tow bar. No problem with it breaking like you can read about with blueox.

I stopped using the readybrute brake cable with my New grand cherokee because it requires the wire be run through the fire wall and to the brake pedal. I now use the Patriot 3 braking system and I love it! Takes about 30 seconds to set it up or take it out and it can be moved from vehicle to vehicle.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nothing wrong with the Roadmaster Falcon, or any of the better models from Demco or Blue OX either. Ditto with any of the major brands of tow brakes, e.g. Brake Buddy, Airforce1, Patriot, Brakemaster, etc. Most everybody has a favorite and will some argue passionately over some obscure feature, but they all work adequately.

Looks like the Readybrute dealers in Missouri are either Springfield or Columbia. Are you willing to go to either place? Make it a mini-vacation...

https://www.readybrake.com/dealer-locator.html
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:03 PM   #4

I put a Demco base plate on my 07 CRV. No cutting or bending. Just had to drill some holes. My ReadyBrute installer said the brake cable wasn't hard.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:21 PM   #5

NSA is based in Iola, KS, about 2 hours west of Joplin, might be worth it to take trip to their headquarters to get it fit. I assume they still offer installation there, I have read they did a few years ago.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:52 AM   #6

Living in SE Mo. contact E-Trailer up in Wentzville. I am positive you can get everything installed and purchased there. Probably the best in the business and great customer service.
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:56 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would buy the NSA Hercules towbars with ReadyBrake. They are rated at 12,000 lbs!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:28 PM   #8

I seen some better prices on original Readybrute I guess new models were/are coming out. It was top of my list until I got the hook up.
For $210 I bought retired RVers tow bar ,even brake, and guardian sheild. Bought his Coleman grill ,water softener and chairs I don't even remember now lol.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I would buy the NSA Hercules towbars with ReadyBrake. They are rated at 12,000 lbs!
That's where I'm going next.

I went the el cheapo route
- Falcon 2 towbar. I mean it tows the vehicle but can be a PIA to disconnect if you're not perfectly level. Not recommended
- Roadmaster baseplate was fine, easy to install. Recommended
- Brake Buddy locked up, fried my brakes and bearings, car has been in the shop for 6 weeks now.

I wouldn't go so far as to say avoid Brake Buddy, plenty of people are happy with it. Easy install, inexpensive. Still, I'm leaning toward the KISS principle these days. With skillful use of the Jake Brake and prudent driving, you don't need the braking system all that often, mainly for the occasional "urgent" stop where I think a surge brake should be sufficient.

Tags
tow, towing