Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2019, 05:38 AM   #1

Recommendations for towing installation

I need recommendations to have a base plate for a Chevy Spark and tow bar installed for my Renegade Vienna. I live in Georgia, but willing to drive to other states to have it done properly. Since Spark is 2200 lbs. I am thinking about not doing supplemental braking. All the states I will be traveling only require it for more than 3000 lbs. Any thoughts?
acwtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2019, 05:58 AM   #2

I bought everything I needed to tow my 2017 Spark from E Trailer. I did the install myself , it came with real good instructions. I also installed a brake buddy , as I travel out west and some of those states require the supplemental brake system.
ltpimentel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:05 AM   #3

I would try an independent local body shop, the process involves popping off the bumper cover, and then bolting on the baseplate, so is the sort of thing they do every day in car repair, the only difference is instead of bolting on a new structural bumper they would be bolting a baseplate to what are usually existing holes in the frame.

As to the need for a braking system, if you ever get in an accident you can bet the other sides lawyers will point out you did not have one, regardless if it is required. For me that is enough reason to have one alone. Used good condition braking systems show up all the time on ebay, I just bought one, a lightly used 16 month old Road Master Even Brake for right at $400 off ebay, only thing missing was a couple of mounting screws. (sells for $1,200 new online). If you do buy on ebay, I suggest buying a current production model, which you can likely get serviced, vs some discontinued antique with dial gauges, ...
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:15 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I too would suggest you reconsider braking system...
I'm a safe driver and I've been in more than one situation where that supplemental braking was very helpful in bringing down the load - you can never have too much braking ...

As an example, below the speed limit on a two lane and a light turned yellow and then red before I could pull off the throttle and onto the brakes... I stopped 10' into the intersection - this incident is why I drive with engine brake always activated and supplemental braking in place...
Old 05-01-2019, 09:38 AM   #5
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Weather you do or don't your choice. But at the minimum install a break-a-way system.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:24 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltpimentel View Post
I bought everything I needed to tow my 2017 Spark from E Trailer. I did the install myself , it came with real good instructions. I also installed a brake buddy , as I travel out west and some of those states require the supplemental brake system.
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

I recommend the NSA Hurcules towbars with built-in ReadyBrake. They are rated at 12,000 lbs and have a lifetime warranty! Have fun and keep her between the ditches! Steel Tow Bars

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:31 PM   #8

Even if you don't need the brakes, you need a break away system.

Tags
install, tow, towing