RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-21-2020, 06:54 PM   #1

Redi Brute Tow bar and clevis connections

Well, I have had a few threads going around my changing of toads and low and behold I have a new issue.

Purchased a 2013 CRV and need to outfit it with a new base plate. Is there a war going on out there between manufacturers? My Redi Brute has a classic style clevis and it doesn't seem to fit the "new" tab-less designs. Blue Ox wants $500.00 for adapters. $500.00 dollars, are you kidding me? Anyhow, anyone else deal with this? I have found a Demco baseplate that will work with some adapters but I'm not real excited with their product. Really don't understand why these different companies don't make the "Tabs" for every tow bar out there. I'm certainly not replacing a 2 year old, $1300.00 tow bar. Really frustrated, and to top it off, talking to the manufacturers is like talking to a wall, not a lot of help. They don't even know what base plate there product fits or vice versa. Rant over. I can't give away my money. Please someone take it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2020, 08:25 PM   #2

I bet it you contact NSA (ReadyBrute) they could set you up with anew clevis. They took care of me when I needed one.

2017 Riverstone Legacy
Northernaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:20 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed a Blue Ox baseplate and use a Ready Brute tow bar. When I bought the tow bar all I had to do was tell NSA which baseplate I was using and they shipped it with the Clevis to fit. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1167.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	301850
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1458.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	880.1 KB
ID:	301851
Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernaire View Post
I bet it you contact NSA (ReadyBrute) they could set you up with anew clevis. They took care of me when I needed one.

You would think so. I have spoken to them and they pointed me to a Demco, which is what I put on my Saturn. Poorly designed product and I don't want to use them again. Rep at Redi Brute could not tell me for sure what Blue ox to buy. Blue ox told me Redi Brute does not fit there tabs, of course they have some clevis's that will work for $500.00 a pair. cough, gag, choke.

Have also looked at the Curt, those seem to have the same issue as the blu Ox. Last thing I want to do is order a base plate with no way to attach to my Redi brute.

I can use the Demco but I don't like the installation at all. Sits much lower than the other base plates and requires a lot more drilling through steel, thick steel. Been there done that.

Will call Redi brute again today and hopefully can talk to someone who can help me out.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:13 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we bought our Ready Brute Elite tow bar last year we specified the clevis to fit a Blue Ox base plate. When you order the tow bar you specify which base plate you're using and they provide the correct clevis. If they don't have the right clevis they'll make one for you!
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
When we bought our Ready Brute Elite tow bar last year we specified the clevis to fit a Blue Ox base plate. When you order the tow bar you specify which base plate you're using and they provide the correct clevis. If they don't have the right clevis they'll make one for you!

So did I when I bought the tow bar but these manufacturers have changed their designs. I just got off the phone with Redi Brute and they don't have what I need for a Blue Ox or a Curt. I don't have the time or patience to wait for them to make one. That said, I have an older Redi Brute ( 2.5 years) the newer style has a lot more options for clevis's. They must have come out with the Redi Brute 2 right after I bought mine.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:25 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernaire View Post

X2!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:36 PM   #8

Have you considered a Roadmaster base plate? I purchased ours from erailer.com.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakehouse 2 View Post
Have you considered a Roadmaster base plate? I purchased ours from erailer.com.

Just so happens that is what I ended up ordering and some new clevis's from NSA. Should be here Saturday and I will get er installed. The more I use E-trailer the more I like that company.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:56 PM   #10

I had a really one of a kind problem. My RV came with a ready brute tow bar & brake system. My 2015 Wrangler has a fisher snow plow push frame on it. Adapters ? Not available from anywhere. Enter the local welding shop to make an adapter plate. The plow push frame & the adapter plate are twice as heavily constructed as anything I have seen from any of the tow Bar manuf.
Not rocket science. Think outside the box. 4,000 trouble free miles so far.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:54 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Just reading this. I'm changing RV's and toads and instead of Blue Ox on my CRV, I am installing Roadmaster on the Edge and I have my old BO clevis pins available free to anyone who wants to pay the freight.

The ReadyBrute is a great and easy system.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
X2!

Joe, I see you have a 2013 CRV hooked up with a Redi-brute. I have just installed my new baseplate and need to run the brake cable. If it wouldn't be too much trouble could you take a picture of "where" the cable was drilled through the firewall? Things are really tight up there and I see brake lines running on the firewall. Just looking for a pic from the inside of the vehicle.
Not sure if we have IM capabilities here or not. Thank you.

@MSHappyCampers
Old 09-28-2020, 07:30 PM   #13

Well maybe this thread has not run it's course as I go full circle. Bought the new Toad, Installed a RM base plate, received new clevis from NSA. Installed hitch for tandem towing of boat, installed wiring for boat tow...wooogh, been busy. Did I mention, I LOVE being retired? Anyhow, getting ready to test tow the toad and make any adjustments on the Redi-Brute for braking.

I keep coming back to the posts about dead batteries, fuses, cut off switches, etc etc. So the question is this, we want to tow this vehicle without power to the vehicle correct? Steering wheel unlocked and of course the mystery equation of running the PRNDL through a precise order?

Think I will go with the Kluffinators advice, even though he is an OSU fan, and use the pigtail and just pull the fuse.

*Couldn't wait for pics from Joe...poked a few holes and found the sweet spot for the braking system. Very little room to work and I almost gave up but persevered and got Er done.

Lastly, drinking and posting may not be advise... again I persevere.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:26 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Redi Brute Tow bar and clevis connections

Sorry about missing your request for photos of where the brake line goes through the firewall. I know you figured it out already but here are some photos in case other readers are also wondering.

It is indeed a very tight fit and you have to take care not to nick a line with the drill.

BTW, OSU is where I learned to cobble things together with confidence.

Go Pokes!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0400.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	302770Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0397.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	302772Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0399.JPG
Views:	12