Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2021, 08:28 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmattb View Post
My plan was the same - try to use the driveshaft without the shifter mechanism. Our FJ had a lift, so it was super easy to slide under it. The zip ties worked pretty well!

I remember seeing ads for a driveshaft with a hand-locking mechanism. I don't remember who, and could not find it after lots of research.

There is one made from Roadless gear that has a hand locking mechanism. It would look strange sticking out of my bed but looks like a better design. The collar has detent balls with springs behind them to hold the collar in position as discussed below. I will be using zip ties as well for added protecting while towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdeinc View Post
I do disconnect the linkage to shift it manually. The mechanism has detents to hold it in place in either position - engaged or disengaged. It seems to me that those spring loaded detents require too much force to overcome, especially when trying to re-engage the collar.
Yes the detents are there to hold, I just found this out by reading it somewhere. If yours are new maybe just a little stiff. Mine is old, I am concerned that they are weak and might change position. Somewhere I read to use wd40 and spray it under the collar to free up dirt that may be in there, then wipe off the excess. No one recommends lube of any kind and I am not a fan of WD40. keep us posted on progress.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2021, 09:39 AM   #44

After having to re-connect by hand numerous times, I decided to spray it with silicone. Amazing difference, now I can re-connect with the cable...sometimes. Next step is to encase the cable in 1/2" CPVC pipe. I watched the cable as my wife pushed in on the knob and if flexes considerably which reduces the force where it attaches to the shifting level. I thought about getting a more robust cable but am going to try this first.
pdeinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:33 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdeinc View Post
After having to re-connect by hand numerous times, I decided to spray it with silicone. Amazing difference, now I can re-connect with the cable...sometimes. Next step is to encase the cable in 1/2" CPVC pipe. I watched the cable as my wife pushed in on the knob and if flexes considerably which reduces the force where it attaches to the shifting level. I thought about getting a more robust cable but am going to try this first.

I hope you are talking about lubing the cable and not the collar.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:00 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
I hope you are talking about lubing the cable and not the collar.
Nope, the collar but keep in mind silicone is a dry lube and does not attract dust or dirt.

The before and after difference was remarkable but I don't know how long it will stay that way. It seems as though it needs to be broken in through repeated engagement/dis-engagments but that doesn't happen in normal use.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:19 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
I had one installed on a 2005 Dodge Dakota. Used it for 3 - 4 years and never a problem. It was a good unit.
Hey folks I'm new to this, so bear with me. I'm trying to find out more about the superior driveline disconnect. I have a 2011 Tacoma 4x4 that I intend to dolly tow. Has anyone had experience with disconnect?
1gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 06:14 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
I ordered one today for my 06 Ford Ranger. There are some Youtube videos explaining the the installation. Also if you call them they are very helpful. I should receive this next week and plan on self installing this.
Getting to old to lay on the ground removing the drive shaft.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 07:30 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1gijoe View Post
Hey folks I'm new to this, so bear with me. I'm trying to find out more about the superior driveline disconnect. I have a 2011 Tacoma 4x4 that I intend to dolly tow. Has anyone had experience with disconnect?
Why not flat tow? There are plenty of comments on here about disconnects, do you have a specific question?
Old 02-27-2022, 05:22 AM   #50

Quote:
If you're installing a D/L disconnect, there's no need to dolly tow. I installed one in my 2019 Tacoma 4x4 and a Roadmaster baseplate and flat tow with ease. I took the route of ordering just the disconnect and having my existing driveshaft modified. That's a somewhat cheaper route but you are at risk of having your driveshaft modified by someone without sufficient experience and ending up with issues such as vibration. Fortunately I knew of a shop 60 miles distant that was very familiar and did an excellent job.

The installation itself requires some mechanical aptitude but not that difficult. As others have said, the vendor is very helpful and there are good videos available. Some complain about the cable being too flexible and is replaced with a stiffer version. I took a different route and encased the cable in 1/2" CPVC conduit - works perfectly now.
Old 03-01-2022, 07:01 AM   #51

Quote:

I installed a Superior Driveline Disconnect on my 2002 Tacoma 4WD 2 years ago. Not that difficult to do yourself and still works great.
zipmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 07:27 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipmart View Post
I installed a Superior Driveline Disconnect on my 2002 Tacoma 4WD 2 years ago. Not that difficult to do yourself and still works great.
1st gen Tacoma's are the best trucks ever made and make the best TOAD.

Old 12-01-2022, 06:36 AM   #53

Superior Driveshaft Disconnect

I’ve ordered a driveshaft disconnect from superior driveline Iowa
Eagles Pride in Titusville florida ordered system and will do the install
Part of the install is to teach me how to operate - do the maintenance- & adjust if needed

This system is for my 2019 Ford Transit high roof cargo van

Looking forward to this system and being able to flat tow my van
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E3736400-8AE6-4E96-A743-DD878697D5DE.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	381842   Click image for larger version

Name:	160F175B-9F27-498B-A9D6-B9299584C1A6.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	381843  

J candler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 06:59 AM   #54

Quote:
I also had a problem with the shifter mechanism, After the above repairs on my shaft I reinstalled everything and had a successful weekend. This past weekend I had the whole shifter mechanism separate from the rear diff and wrap around the shaft twisted up in a mess. Luckily I was only going 5 mph. No damage to the driveshaft but the shifter was all bent up and twisted. It looks like the ubolt was welded to the diff and it failed. Yes , 1 hour under the truck in the rain. I used zip ties too! Now I am experimenting with not using the shifter mechanism at all, I will just jump under and slide the disc back and forth as needed. Can you imagine if the shifter junk had failed while towing it at 65mph?
Update! I did it. I took my driveshaft to a local shop. They installed the disconnect and it was ready to pick up in a few hours! The disconnect engages and disengages easily when it it pulled with two hands, or when pushed evenly with one. I experimented with pushing on the bottom (like a passing piece of debris might do), and I could not get it to move. I suppose the chances of it being hit while underway, with sufficient force, and the moment the teeth line up, is practically zero. It would seem more likely that debris would hang on the shifter mechanism and create a constant pressure on the coupler, which would of course be catastrophic.

The shop told me to use WD-40 for lubrication, and not silicone. I have huge respect for the shop owner, and he has proven to know his products, so I will happily obey.

Engaging and disengaging is easy. Set parking brake and put the transmission in neutral. Lie down from the back of the car, slide the disc to disengage. Slide the disc and move the (free) driveshaft to engage.

I have worked the smut out of the new coupler on the bad trails, and have had no issues.

I am happy with the outcome. The only complication I see would be for low vehicles where a person would have to jack the car to reach the driveshaft.

I feel like we have figured out something important! Thanks for your guidance!
Old 12-02-2022, 06:43 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
According to their web site, Remco , sold out of the disconnect business in 2008. and is referring questions to ; Drive Shaft King in Dallas TX, 1-800-442-6329.
Could be why your not getting any help with your question.
If someone is offering you a Remco unit , they must have had it gathering dust for a long time.
Superior Driveline in Iowa makes driveshaft disconnects
J candler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:45 AM   #56

Quote:
There is one made from Roadless gear ...
That LOOKS to be the same mechanism as the Remco, with a lever rather than the cable linkage. The Roadless website suggests it is for Suzuki and Toyota only. It might be a great solution for those vehicles.

You mention the shifter handle coming through the bed - based on the photos, I think it is intended to install at the transfer case and not the rear axle, so the lever is in the cab.

Good find!