Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2023, 02:59 AM   #57

So you don’t use the cable
I’m getting the superior disconnect installed and wondering how many issues there might be disengagement and engagement using the cable
J candler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2023, 05:29 AM   #58

In post #51 of this thread, I mentioned I installed the disconnect myself, almost 3 years ago now. I've never had an issue with disengagement or engagement using the cable. Works as advertised.
zipmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 05:45 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by J candler View Post
I’m getting the superior disconnect installed and wondering how many issues there might be disengagement and engagement using the cable
The problem with a cable is it's like pushing a rope - so it has to be stiff. The cable supplied with mine was too flexible but rather than finding a stiffer one, I simply encased it in 1/2 cpvc. Works find now.
pdeinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:11 AM   #60

Quote:
It looks like a couple of us are using the coupler without the shifter. I will offer my answer.

Adjusting the cable was easy and is included in the instructions. I never had any problem with the disengage operation of the shifter, once I remembered to put the car in neutral to disengage! That releases the tension on the driveline. Engaging takes a bit of finesse to do it smoothly, but was never a problem.

My objection to the shifter mechanism is that it hangs an inch or so below the axle. We use our towd FJ Cruiser for serious off-roading. I hit the shifter on a rock and destroyed it. (I installed a replacement shifter on the FJ, and lost it in a roll-over accident, but that is not really relevant.)

For an on-road towd, I think the shifter would be great. For my application, my experience showed me that it creates a hazard much greater than a 15-second reach underneath the truck to directly engage and disengage.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:08 AM   #61

Quote:
The cable was not the issue with mine, it was the bracket attached to the diff. It broke loose and got tangled in the driveline. It had been on the truck for 5 years until it failed. Like the above post said it is super easy to sneak under and connect/disconnect. Not worth the risk of major damage. You can do what you want.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:01 PM   #62

Suitable for cars ??

I'd like to pull a Camaro 2018 behind the MH. I'm trying to get some infos from Superior line about a kit that'll fit on cars, but no answer. Anybody did this ?
GrizzlyBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:24 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyBen View Post
I'd like to pull a Camaro 2018 behind the MH. I'm trying to get some infos from Superior line about a kit that'll fit on cars, but no answer. Anybody did this ?
Car or truck doesn’t matter really, however, unless you get lucky you’ll need the shaft rebalanced. If you’re close to North Texas, the go to place is Drive Shaft King in Dallas. But yeah, it has to be the correct kit for your particular car or truck.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 10:10 AM   #64

Driveshaft Disconnect

I know I'm late to the party, but I'm going to be putting one of these on my 98 Ranger as a TOAD. I will be substituting a Morse Cable for the flimsy cable provided. I have used these in many custon applications and they are great for push/pull applications. Probably overkill in this, but thats always been my motto. They are used in boats for steering, sand buggies for shifters, Parachute release on race cars, etc.
tmdcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 03:25 PM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
I didn’t know this thread existed until today.

Superior Driveline and I installed one of these on my MB Sprinter based Winnebago this past summer. I sent the shaft to them, they installed the coupling, and then I reinstalled the driveshaft and applied the shifter.

It took me quite awhile to get this right, as my DIY eyes are larger than my ability stomach, but with awesome support from Superior’s Bill Spelic, we got it done.

Just a bit of advice: I live in VA and there is no one in this state that has experience installing one of these units, or is willing to do the work. I found a gentleman three hours away from me who wanted to do it, but it turned out he was way over his head. Do not be the first customer for someone who says they can install these. Either find a local shop who has done this several times before, or as I did, become real close friends with the good people at Superior. I sent my shaft there once, traveled there once, and met Bill in Hershey for advice before I was finally able to declare victory.

At this point, it’s working as advertised and I am very happy with the product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1370.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	688.9 KB
ID:	406281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1283.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	406282  

USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 10:21 AM   #66

Superior Drive Line Disconnect

I had my superior Drive Line Disconnect in November- 2022
2019 Ford Transit extended cab high roof
I flat tow it behind my motorhome
Very easy to disengage for flat towing
Very easy to re-engage
Love having my van as a vehicle to drive when camping
Old 11-01-2023, 10:33 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
I didn’t know this thread existed until today.

Superior Driveline and I installed one of these on my MB Sprinter based Winnebago this past summer. I sent the shaft to them, they installed the coupling, and then I reinstalled the driveshaft and applied the shifter.

It took me quite awhile to get this right, as my DIY eyes are larger than my ability stomach, but with awesome support from Superior’s Bill Spelic, we got it done.

Just a bit of advice: I live in VA and there is no one in this state that has experience installing one of these units, or is willing to do the work. I found a gentleman three hours away from me who wanted to do it, but it turned out he was way over his head. Do not be the first customer for someone who says they can install these. Either find a local shop who has done this several times before, or as I did, become real close friends with the good people at Superior. I sent my shaft there once, traveled there once, and met Bill in Hershey for advice before I was finally able to declare victory.

At this point, it’s working as advertised and I am very happy with the product.
I’ve been trying to figure out how to add pictures to my posts
So far unsuccessful

Can you give instructions
Old 11-01-2023, 08:30 PM   #68

Quote:
I’ve been trying to figure out how to add pictures to my posts
So far unsuccessful

Can you give instructions
1. Take your pictures
2. Store then in a file of your choice on your computer
3. Make your post or answer one on here
4. Before clicking on the "Submit Reply button", scroll down to *Manage Attachments
5. Click on that tab, a small dialog box will appear in the top left corner
6. You will have four tabs to click on that say "Choose file", click on the first one
7. Your screen will then migrate to one that allows you to click on "Pictures"
8. Click on Pictures.
9. Find the file of the pics you want to display are in.
10. Click on one of the pics you want to display and, at the bottom of that screen, it should say "Open". Click on that.
11. That particular photo will then be sent to that first tab you clicked on in the "choose file" screen/dialog box.
12. Choose another pic if you desire. Follow 7-11 again.
13. You can pic 4 pics to be added to your post. Once all "choose files" are filled with pics, then click on "Upload" at the lower right side of that dialog box.

Or, if you only want ONE photo in your post, do all the above only use only ONE of the "Choose file". Then hit "upload". Then, click the Submit Reply.

In a minute, all your pics will be uploaded to the post you created or answered. Then, click on the "Submit Reply" tab.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote