Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-29-2021, 06:35 PM   #1

Question Remove Front Air Deflector?

Hi, all. First time poster, been lurking for a while.

I am planning to tow my 2016 Chevrolet Cruze on a Master Tow dolly, pulled by a Class A Thor Windsport. I was recently looking at a video of someone loading a Cruze onto a dolly (mainly because it is not immediately clear what to attach the safety chains to). At any rate, he began by remarking that you have to begin by removing the front air deflector. Just what I wanted - two more steps to remember when loading and unloading! (Did I mention that I am a noob?)

Has anyone else dolly-towed a 2016 (or close) Cruze? Did you need to remove the air deflector? I know it sometimes scrapes when I go down a slope, but I am really curious whether the clearance is really that low?
sjhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2021, 09:06 PM   #2
D20

Welcome!

I donít have a Chevy, but I think you are just going to have to see how it looks with your setup. You might have a different setup from the video where yours will clear.

If it were me and I had to remove the air dam, I would just leave it off until I was not dolly towing any longer.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:12 AM   #3

We have a Prius which has a very low ground clearance. The car could not climb the tow dolly ramps when they were wet nor would the front air damn clear the ramps. To get it onto our Master Tow dolly and clear the front air damn I had to build an additional set of ramps. I used 2x8 lumber 36Ē long with riser blocks on the front to give it the lift to mate with the tow dolly ramps. I cut notches in the wood to hold the ramps in alignment and keep the wooden ramps from slipping out while driving up and down them. I stapled and glued 6Ēx36Ē 80 grit belt sand paper cut into one long strip onto the wooden ramps for extra traction when wet.

The extra ramps serve two purposes. One, there is a smaller edge the car has to climb to get on the ramp and second it lessens the angle up to the deck so the air damn doesnít scrape or tear itself up going up and down a steeper angle.

To use the ramps I position the wooden ramps at the ends of the tow dolly ramps. Then I pull the hinge pin that lets the deck of the tow dolly swivel down and the metal edges of the tow dolly ramps drop down into the slots which holds everything in place. After the car is fully on the dolly the weight of the car will swivel the deck back into position to put the pin back into place.

Always take your car off the tow dolly BEFORE you level the MH or the angle on the tow dolly may be to steep and you will tear up the air damn. Ask me how I know.

I painted the wooden ramps red for two reasons. First, they are easier to see so I donít forget them and drive off. Second, red was the closest paint I had on hand.

This is my solution the same problem you are having, hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ramps 01.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	337.5 KB
ID:	337988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ramps 03.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	337989  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ramps 02.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	337990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ramps 04.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	337991  

Old 08-01-2021, 12:13 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Best thought is try it yourself and see what may hit. Removing the deflector each time loading the car would be a serious pain.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:15 PM   #5

Just remove it and forget about it. Very minimal impact on mileage when being driven.
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 02:25 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
I "stehl" (very similar to the master tow) towed a Chevrolet Sonic with a very low air dam. I did something similar to what Old Harry did, but not as elaborate, just a 2x8x24" laying in front of the ramp and that allowed me to load and unload without dragging the air dam. ~CA
Old 08-01-2021, 04:50 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUGHRIDER3 View Post
Just remove it and forget about it. Very minimal impact on mileage when being driven.
The air deflector, or air dam usually also directs air toward the radiator, so removing it totally could affect engine heating.

Tags
air