Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2022, 03:32 PM   #1

Remove GM steering lock

Has anyone been able to disable the electric column lock on a GM vehicle? I have removed the manual lock on several Colorados to make towing easier. This way you do not have to disconnect the battery. On these new vehicles it is an electric module and it knows if is has been removed, I know.. I will find the work around, I am not disconnecting the battery every time. Several Tahoes have been built without it due to the chip shortage.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2022, 06:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Not sure what you mean by an "electric column lock". Most newer vehicle don't lock the steering at all. Instead, they electronically disable the ignition as the (federally mandated) anti-theft device. The steering column remains free to turn.

When newer vehicles require fuses pulled or battery disconnected, it is usually to disable some sophisticated electronics, e.g. a body control computer, electric steering assist, traction control system, etc.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:37 PM   #3

Gm steering lock

On new GM vehicles there is an electric lock the drops a pin into the column. If you try to remove it the computer disables the vehicle. I need to by pass it so I do not have to disconnect the battery.
Old 07-04-2022, 04:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clnhse View Post
On new GM vehicles there is an electric lock the drops a pin into the column. If you try to remove it the computer disables the vehicle. I need to by pass it so I do not have to disconnect the battery.
Sometimes its not just steering that is the reason for disconnecting the battery. I disconnect mine, put a simple switch and it takes literally 9 seconds from leaving the drivers seat until the hood is closed.
Winger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:36 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clnhse View Post

OK, I guess my GM experience is obsolete. The last GM car I towed was a 2014 and it worked as I described.

Also, vehicles with keyless entry are often different than the key-start models.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering