Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2017, 04:41 AM   #1

Removing steering wheel lock on 2003 CR-V

Just bought a 2003 CR-V manual to use as a toad. Took it to Honda to get it serviced and looked at.

Asked them to remove the steering wheel lock, so that I could tow it with the key turned off. I have seen pictures of that being done.

Anyone here have any experience doing that?
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2017, 05:21 AM   #2

I just removed the damaged steering lock from my Kia Soul.
They say leave it locked when dolly towing but that's what jambed it.

The steering lock, key and ignition switch assembly is clamped under the steering column with 2 small, maybe 8 MM, screws. The problem is they are anti-theft screws, with no way to turn them. I used a chisel and hammer, tapping the edge, to slowly turn them out. Once out, I cut a slot in them so I could replace them.

Google your cars steering lock and see what's involved.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:31 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not sure how to do it on the Honda, but I did it on my Saturn Vue. Basically, I disassembled the steering lock assembly and removed the paw that engages the locking teeth.

If you have a pick your part junk yard, visit it and you should be able to find one that looks like yours to experiment on or look at.

This is probably the best mod I did to my toad, no more key in the ignition, no more run down battery, etc. No need to leave the key in the ignition.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering