Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:07 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Removing the Steering Column Lock on 2008 Jeep JK

I have a new to me 2008 Jeep Wrangler JK.

Can someone point me to the details on how to disable the locking feature on the on the steering column???

I read that there is an old thread that discusses how to permanently remove the lock.
I've spent a couple of hours searching this forum and Youtube for info.

Thanks in advance,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2020, 10:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
I have a new to me 2008 Jeep Wrangler JK.

Can someone point me to the details on how to disable the locking feature on the on the steering column???

I read that there is an old thread that discusses how to permanently remove the lock.
I've spent a couple of hours searching this forum and Youtube for info.

Thanks in advance,
Bill
Heeeeeyyyy Bill,
Got a Jip huh? Cool! I can't help with the steering lock thing 'cause, I never had to do it. I'm gonna take a guess here, it's an early model for that year. As I understand it, Jeep, about half way through the '08 model year, ceased the steering lock mechanism. But, just for grins, take a look at this and see if it helps.
Scott

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...emoval-129718/
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:04 AM   #3

Duner,

Fire Up found the thread that contains the directions that I followed to remove the locking pin from my '08 Wrangler. Just scroll down until you find the post that has the numbered steps.
It was not straightforward. A couple of photos would have been extremely helpful. I got it done and it is completely successful. There are a couple of 'yoga' poses needed, but not too bad. My main setback was that there's a spot on the tumbler holder that clearly looks like it deserves a detent spring.... except there wasn't one there. The part is likely used by more than just Wranglers. Anyway, I cost myself the better part of a day looking for the spring that I finally learned had never existed.
Normal tools except you need at least one Torx fitting, I forget what size. A small 3/8" drive kit should contain the size you need.
I hope it goes well for you, very glad I got mine done.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:25 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
When I did this in my Saturn Vue, I went to the junk yard and bought a steering column locking mechanism from a wreck. I disassembled it when I got home to see what needed to be done. After I was finished experimenting, it worked out that all I did was remove the original and replace it with the one I was experimenting with.

Its great to not need to worry about unlocking the column or having to leave the ley in the ignition.

AND, If I ever sell the Vue, I can restore the original lock.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:36 PM   #5

I googled it and you tube and came up with this.

Try 1 or more of these vids and see if they help.

Tim

https://www.bing.com/search?q=disabl...63e4165c574ea7
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:59 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for all the replies. All the searches and videos point to only one source of info on the 2008 JK ...... and that's the procedure that "Pollockk" posted in the JK-Forum in June of 2008.

So this morning I tore into this project being very concerned that I'd screw something up and not be able to even drive the Jeep since I'm in a rv park and not my own garage.

And son-of-a-gun, I got it done! It took me about 4 hrs because without pictures, I was fiddling with the wrong "black plastic connector box".

I took pictures of each step and plan to create a new procedure using Pollockk's write up and a few tips I learned along the way.

When I get it done, I'll post a detailed procedure here and on the JK Forum.

Hey Scott, as I recall from a few years ago, you had a Jeep ..... do you still have it?
Old 03-06-2020, 06:01 AM   #7

That's excellent Duner! You're doing what I should have done, use some photos to improve on that procedure. Nice one.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. All the searches and videos point to only one source of info on the 2008 JK ...... and that's the procedure that "Pollockk" posted in the JK-Forum in June of 2008.

So this morning I tore into this project being very concerned that I'd screw something up and not be able to even drive the Jeep since I'm in a rv park and not my own garage.

And son-of-a-gun, I got it done! It took me about 4 hrs because without pictures, I was fiddling with the wrong "black plastic connector box".

I took pictures of each step and plan to create a new procedure using Pollockk's write up and a few tips I learned along the way.

Hey Scott, as I recall from a few years ago, you had a Jeep ..... do you still have it?
Hey Bill,
Well, it depends on how many years ago we're talking here. When we met at the '14 Winne/Itasca convention in Forest City, we had our '11 GMC Sierra truck that we were towing. But, we also had an '04 Jeep Rubicon too. I'm not sure why we towed the truck to that event but, we die. We'd been into Jeeping for quite a few years and, due to some extenuating circumstances, we got out of it for a while. Then, we'd moved to Havasu and, with about twenty zillion miles of trails around this and surrounding towns, I thought we'd maybe get back into it.

So, we bought an '03 Rubicon. Well, we kept that one for less than about 8-9 months simply because, we'd taken a test drive in a new JK 4-door and, well, that was all it took. We sold the '03 and picked up our present one, a '15 Jeep JKUR. Waaaaaaaaay more room and to us, way more refined. Anyway, that's the Jeep saga of our family.

You gonna do anything to that Jeep, lift, tires, bumpers, side bars???

One of the things I did to all three of our TJ's was install seat risers for the drivers seat. Every one of them has the driver sitting too low. Our JK has a handle that you ratchet and, it lifts the seat to a preferred height.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:14 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's my Jeep and just a couple of steering lock photos to give you an idea of the tear down process.

The 1st photo shows short T-10 Torx and 1/4" ratchet wrench taking off the correct black connector box.
The 2nd photo shows the aluminum housing apart after you drill out the 4 riveted studs. Right above my fingernail is the locking piece which is removed.

Scott, it came with a lift kit already installed .... 3" maybe, but I don't know how to measure it. It has factory seat height adjust. The selling dealer installed 5 new 33 x 12.5 General Grabbers. I installed a new Rock Hard aluminum front bumper with Blue Ox tabs for towing and winch ready. I had a new 2-piece hardtop installed at Patriot Fastbacks in Riverside. Nice and quiet ride now.

Next winter we have to make plans to ride some of your favorite spots around Havasu or Parker or Yuma or Q-site. We will be heading toward Alaska end of April and not back until October.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21-0305201737.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	511.6 KB
ID:	277160   Click image for larger version

Name:	13-0305201110.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	277161  

Click image for larger version

Name:	18-0305201146a.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	277162  
Old 03-10-2020, 03:48 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Post Here's an illustrated Procedure on Steering Lock Removal

I want to thank pollockk from the JK-Forum.com as I was able to use his posting to get the job done. But I spent a lot of time not sure which connectors and working on the wrong “black plastic box”. So I have added photos and some statements like “You can also … ” that should help a lot.
Just got my 2008 JK 3 weeks ago and have a lot to learn.
Happy Trails,
Bill
Old 06-08-2020, 05:35 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:

I just followed your post on the thread from "Pollockk" and only took me about an hour the first time. Then I had a oops moment and freaked when I couldn't get it out of park. After tearing it all down again it finally dawned on me that I didn't step on the brake as I was still on the floor of the jeep and low and behold it worked like a champ. Other than drilling the rivets out it is really not a bad job at all thanks to "Pollockk"'s instructions and your pictures. THANK YOU!!!
CUcampin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeep, jk model, steering, wrangler