Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:06 AM   #1

Rent me a toad

We are planning a cross country trip this summer for 3+ months. A good buddy of ours got a hall pass from the warden to plan a month trip and tag along. He just rented a 30 foot class A rig for a month. The plan is for him to team up with us for two weeks and then head back home.

Now the warden has decided she wants them to have a toad. I have looked in the search box and can't find any toads for rent. Is anybody aware of toad rentals? He will be departing from CA bay area going to San Diego. The car could be picked up anywhere in the vicinity.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2021, 10:19 AM   #2

I really doubt you will be able to find a towable car to rent, there's just not much demand. If their present car can be dolly towed that is probably the easiest solution, rent a dolly from U-haul or some similar place. If it can't be dolly towed rent a trailer and put the car on a trailer. If they go this route make sure the RV can tow the weight. This is not going to be an easy problem to solve I don't think. Good luck.
arcaguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:29 AM   #3

Iím not aware of a company that rents vehicles that are set up to tow behind a motorhome. Another option would be to rent a trailer and a car. Iíd suspect that a 30í rental motorhome may only have a 4K-5K towing capacity, so a trailer and car combo would have to be carefully selected. U-haul car transport trailers are over 2K lbs.
Kid Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:05 PM   #4

Just seems like about anything a person wants can be rented. RV's and trailers, no problem. Why not a toad? It would be a natural for a person that doesn't use their toad much.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:16 PM   #5

Like this
https://www.toadrental.com/
Old 02-24-2021, 12:21 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Renting a toad (if you could find one for rent) is not that simple. The mounts on the front of the tow vehicle vary depending on the hitch brand and style. Yes, you also need a tow bar with cable set up.

Then, each vehicle tows four wheel down differently. On some you need to disconnect fuse so as not to run down the battery. On my old Ford explorer you need to put the SUV into neutral tow before towing. Finally, most states require you to have a supplemental brake unit, such as a Brake Buddy, or other brand.

A tow dolly solves those problems, but is heavy and a real pain to deal with when you get to your campsite. Few sites have adequate room for both the toad and a dolly.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:10 PM   #7
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgare View Post
Although I've heard about this place, I haven't talked with anybody who has used them as I believe they've only been in business for about a year(?).

It's in the Bay Area so it may work for the OP ...OP's buddy.

They only rent Jeep Wranglers with automatic transmissions that are obviously set up with brackets and a brake system ...and it appears they also supply the tow bar ("a "state-of-the art non-binding light weight aluminum tow bar")
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:44 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have to admit, I was surprised to see a company renting toads.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I have to admit, I was surprised to see a company renting toads.
Just waiting to hear back from them. Their site said it may take a day or two to reply. Fingers crossed they have a feasible deal.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:54 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vseasport View Post
Just waiting to hear back from them. Their site said it may take a day or two to reply. Fingers crossed they have a feasible deal.
Looking forward to what they say.

I looked at their site and couldn't determine what they charge. I don't give out my email to anyone unless I really really need to so asking them them was out of the question.
That's your own asphalt.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Looking forward to what they say.

I looked at their site and couldn't determine what they charge. I don't give out my email to anyone unless I really really need to so asking them them was out of the question.
I'll post up what we find.

I guard my social security number because it is one per person but email? A person can have as many addresses as they want and change them like their underwear.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:14 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vseasport View Post
I guard my social security number because it is one per person but email? A person can have as many addresses as they want and change them like their underwear.
...and then forget which email they used to sign up for a web forum or something, which makes it real hard on the support or help desk people when the user has problems logging on and asks for help...
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:56 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OP said:
"I guard my social security number because it is one per person but email? A person can have as many addresses as they want and change them like their underwear."

I hate wading through 15,000 emails trying to sell me something.

I don't give out my phone number for the same reason...nuisance marketing phone calls.
That's your own asphalt.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:57 PM   #14

Itíll be interesting to see their rates. A standard SUV out of SFO is $1500/mo from Enterprise.
Kid Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad