Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2019, 12:37 PM   #1

Replacement for Brake Buddy Classic

The power on my 11 year old unit quit. I opened the unit up and nothing obvious was dangling or disconnected. First choice is to send it to the manufacturer for repair, of course.

If they can't repair it, or if they say, "It's at the end of its useful life," what is the simple replacement? It looks as though their classic2 unit is powered by the RV and electrically actuated. I'd rather not run more wires. Is there a simple drop-in air compressor unit like the original brake buddy?
-dan
2008 Damon Astoria 3776
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
DiamondDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2019, 02:52 PM   #2

The 12 volt plug on the end of the cord may have died. You can buy replacements and splice a new one in and see it that works before taking the trouble to ship it off to the manufacturer.

I used this one and just cut the wire to use the plug end. It works well and I bought a second one to have as a backup.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:22 PM   #3

Call Brake Buddy & discuss it with them. When my old one quit on the road, they said bring it by, no charge for parts. I choose to get a new one & they shipped it to our Arizona destination. Basically the same wires as the old one, two wires to power the unit, two wires for the breakway.
If you change brands or types, then you're in for a new instllation.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:40 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDan View Post
The power on my 11 year old unit quit. I opened the unit up and nothing obvious was dangling or disconnected. First choice is to send it to the manufacturer for repair, of course.

If they can't repair it, or if they say, "It's at the end of its useful life," what is the simple replacement? It looks as though their classic2 unit is powered by the RV and electrically actuated. I'd rather not run more wires. Is there a simple drop-in air compressor unit like the original brake buddy?
-dan
2008 Damon Astoria 3776
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
DiamondDan - I have sent mine back (it's about the same age) several times and they have always fixed it. I also crushed the 12-volt plug in my car door one time and replaced it myself with and new one from Amazon like scbwr posted. If you do that … make sure that you keep the positive and negative wires the same as that will make a difference. I learned that the hard way … as that was one of the times I returned the unit for repairs only to have them find my mistake. Anyway my unit is still working great.

FLSteve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:27 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. I sent it back to them, and I hope to have the repaired unit back soon.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
The 12 volt plug on the end of the cord may have died.
Some have a fuse inside.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:14 AM   #7

The new Brake Buddy (Select II and Classic II) still work with a built in air compressor. The series II units get their power from your toad battery.
A small battery charger is included with the series II and is powered by your motorhome to help keep your toad battery from discharging and also acts as a diode to prevent your toad battery from backfeeding into your motorhome.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:20 PM   #8

So it was the power cord. My bad for not testing that before sending it back.
Anyway, great support by the manufacturer and a quick turn-around.
-dan

Tags
ace, brake, replace, replacement