Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2009, 09:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Replacing The Flasher on Saturn VUE

Okay, I give up and I am now looking to the iRV2 group to help me out.

I need to replace the directional & hazard waring flasher in my 2006 Saturn VUE. The original one isn't strong enough to drive all of the lamps when I am hooked to my Pace trailer. Therefore, I want to install a heavy duty one.

Only one problem, where is the dang thing??? I hear it but cannot see it. It has to be somewhere inside the dash as I hear it clicking away when using the turn signals. It's got to be there but I am not about to rip apart the dash trying to find it.

Has anyone had this done or has done it on a 2006 Saturn VUE? Your help and guidance would be very useful.

Please, Please, Please, Help, Help, Help.

Thanks!

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2009, 02:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I just went and looked at ours. You will have to remove the bottom dash cover panel to gain access to all the wiring. I did not take it down but know the flasher is @ drivers side, over the pedals. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the tip RV Wizard, I will check it out soon as I have recently been dealing with a slide-out control board problem. I remember having that panel off recently when I installed the electric brake controller. It will be simple to remove it again. I hope it's there. And also, I hope that it is round 2-prong flasher as that is what I had purchased at the auto store, a heavy duty flasher. I think sometimes these flasher relays are multiple contacts and look like a square box.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Sorry, I do not know what flasher is used, as I do not tow anything with mine.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:50 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I finally had the time and better weather to check for the flasher location yesterday. I removed the black panel under the dash on the driver's side and looked around while the flasher was working. Nothing..... I could hear it but couldn't find it.

Then called the local Saturn dealer and talked with the scheduling tech. He claims that the middle of the dash needs to be removed where the 4-way button is located to acess the flasher. This is way more than I want to get into. Basically, it'll be over a $300 bill to replace a $10 part. The existing flasher works but it needs a HD one to drive the additional trailer lights when it is attached. Since I don't plan to haul the trailer on the road and only will hook up to it in RV Parks to relocate it when staying for a while, it'll have to go without.

Thanks for the help and advice, though. What year Saturn do you have? I have an '06 Vue.

Happy New Year!

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you considered a wiring kit with either diodes or separate lights? On my 2007 Vue I used the Demco (not Remco, but Remco is a good place to start) wiring kit that came with my tow bar. It requires an additional hole to be drilled in the light assembly, but after that it is a quick disconnect at the front bumper of the TOAD to hook/unhook.

Just an option...
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:13 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Have you considered a wiring kit with either diodes or separate lights? Just an option...
Hi Wayne,

Sorry, this question was in regards to replacing the flasher on my toad not wiring the toad for towing. I have already wired the toad with 6 diodes and cable, works great. But if you have a solution in how to replace my flasher easily, I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks......

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:03 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Richard, Our Vue is an 06 V6 AWD. I thought for sure the flasher was more easily accessible than I guess it really is. Sorry.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:05 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Okay, I give up and I am now looking to the iRV2 group to help me out.

I need to replace the directional & hazard waring flasher in my 2006 Saturn VUE. The original one isn't strong enough to drive all of the lamps when I am hooked to my Pace trailer. Therefore, I want to install a heavy duty one.

Only one problem, where is the dang thing??? I hear it but cannot see it. It has to be somewhere inside the dash as I hear it clicking away when using the turn signals. It's got to be there but I am not about to rip apart the dash trying to find it.

Has anyone had this done or has done it on a 2006 Saturn VUE? Your help and guidance would be very useful.

Please, Please, Please, Help, Help, Help.

Thanks!

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
change the trailer lights to led units. they draw much less current and the flasher will not know that they are connected.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:14 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
change the trailer lights to led units. they draw much less current and the flasher will not know that they are connected.
Hey Dan,

Now there's a brilliant idea that won't cost an arm & a leg. I appreciate your thoughts. I will look into it this weekend to see where I can find acceptable replacements. The back has two vertical elongated red lights, and each side has one small angled amber turn light located midway on the trailer.

Thanks again, I knew someone would come through with a solution on this forum. iRV2 is one of the best "tools" to have in your fix-it toolbox.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Hey Dan,

Now there's a brilliant idea that won't cost an arm & a leg. I appreciate your thoughts. I will look into it this weekend to see where I can find acceptable replacements. The back has two vertical elongated red lights, and each side has one small angled amber turn light located midway on the trailer.

Thanks again, I knew someone would come through with a solution on this forum. iRV2 is one of the best "tools" to have in your fix-it toolbox.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
my 02 nissan altima doesn't have a stand alone flasher unit. the ecm does this duty.
with led lights, my turn sigs work fine.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
Old 01-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Please read and comment on the following recommendations in regard to automotive flashers with combination, filament and LED bulbs. I believe that a flasher technology change is in order to support both types of lamps.

HERE: ....
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I wanted to followup with this post to make sure I wrapped up this thread with my resolution for others that may be reading this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
Change the trailer lights to led units. They draw much less current and the flasher will not know that they are connected.
Dan,

Just finished installing 4 Model 60 Oval LED Stop/Tail/Directional lights on the rear of my trailer. There wasn't any LED replacement for the 2 amber directional/side markers, so I had to leave them as is. All the lights work great now with my standard Saturn flasher.

Dan, thanks so much for your idea and suggestion. It worked out great and saved me a lot of money and headaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Please read and comment on the following recommendations in regard to automotive flashers with combination, filament and LED bulbs. I believe that a flasher technology change is in order to support both types of lamps.

HERE: ....
DriVer,

After reading the article that you had referenced, my understanding is that the conflict is more for people who are wanting to replace their vehicle lamps with LED's. Not so sure that it pertains to tow trailers with LED's. According to the article, If they mix the two within the same vehicle, it could cause problems. So if anyone wants to do just that, they would need to replace all of them in addition to making sure that the flasher is the correct type to drive them.

In my case, the Saturn has all filament type bulbs, and now the trailer has a mixture of filament and LED's. So far, I haven't observed any problems and feel that it has solved my problem.

Thanks for the information, it's always handy to have information like that stored away in my reference arsenal.

Best to all!

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=Dr4Film;594108]I wanted to followup with this post to make sure I wrapped up this thread with my resolution for others that may be reading this thread.

Dan,

Just finished installing 4 Model 60 Oval LED Stop/Tail/Directional lights on the rear of my trailer. There wasn't any LED replacement for the 2 amber directional/side markers, so I had to leave them as is. All the lights work great now with my standard Saturn flasher.

Dan, thanks so much for your idea and suggestion. It worked out great and saved me a lot of money and headaches.

richard,
you are welcome!
i am glad that it worked out for you.