Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2016, 12:25 PM   #1

Risks w/purchasing 3-year old Blue Ox Tow bar

I have the opportunity to purchase a 3-year old Blue Ox Tow bar at a pretty good cost. Apparently, it's been used for 35k miles. It's the BX8875 model with the cables and all required equipment - sans base plate.

This will be my first tow bar so, don't know what I don't know. Anything I should be cautious of? Or just buy new and not worry?

The last thing I want to go cheap on is a tow bar.
tholtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholtman View Post
I have the opportunity to purchase a 3-year old Blue Ox Tow bar at a pretty good cost. Apparently, it's been used for 35k miles. It's the BX7365 model with the cables and all required equipment - sans base plate.

This will be my first tow bar so, don't know what I don't know. Anything I should be cautious of? Or just buy new and not worry?

The last thing I want to go cheap on is a tow bar.
Correction: it's the BX7365 w/6,500lb capacity
Old 04-21-2016, 04:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

They are pretty rugged, so not much to worry about. Obvious rust at swivel joints, loose or sloppy fitting swivels, and extensions arms that don't extend easily.

That said, you can always return it to the factory or a certified Blue Ox dealer for a re-build and they will sned it back like new. Shipping can be expensive to Nebraska, but there may be a qualified rebuild dealer nearer. The Hitching Post in Ocala,FL, is one such.

That model has a 3 year warranty too.

I used an Aventa LX for 10 years and its still going strong. Just put it up for sale because we switched toads to one that can only tow on a dolly. Not as simple towing, but we love the car!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:32 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
tholtman..... Three years is not a long time for a tow bar. On the other hand, 35K miles is a bit high for three years. All things considered, though, this bar likely ought to be in pretty good shape. As someone else mentioned, you could have it rebuilt as a safety check. Not expensive. Or, (if Blue Ox does this) you could buy the rebuild kit and do it yourself. I have a 13 y/o Roadmaster Sterling that I just rebuilt. Works like brand new.

In any case, you've got a good bar there, and I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:36 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Risks w/purchasing 3-year old Blue Ox Tow bar

Good unit. They last a long time. I have mine inspected and serviced every couple three years by BO at rallies they attend. If it's tight and looks ok, buy it.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:32 AM   #6

The only reservation that I would have, and it's a minor one, you don't know what, if any abuse the tow bar has been subjected to. If it looks good, I would probably go for it and send it off to Blue Ox for a safety check.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:32 AM   #7

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm moving forward.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:17 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have a Blue Ox Aventa. Been using it for 6 yrs. If your will attending any big RV show, call Blue Ox and ask if they will have a service desk there. I've had mine done at the Hershey RV show. It's much cheaper then having it done at the factory, and my unit looks new after it was done.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:01 AM   #9

I've had a BO Aventa for at least 8 years, still looks and works great. Do the checks others have said you should be good to go.
jim27358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:57 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bought an old Roadmaster. Never was lubed and many joints sloppy. Some would not turn. Knowing what I know now would not have bought it, ($500 for everything but the base plate including Brake Buddy) but after some repairs is working good for the last 10k miles.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:22 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
The only reservation that I would have, and it's a minor one, you don't know what, if any abuse the tow bar has been subjected to. If it looks good, I would probably go for it and send it off to Blue Ox for a safety check.
Obvious abuse or normal long term wear is usually easy to spot. Some signs are:

- Bent or banged up release levers, arms don't smoothly slide in and out.
- Different nuts and bolts on the left and right arms.
- Missing or damaged protective bellows, (if equipped).
- The whole unit is floppy when you go to stow it on the hitch, (it should be tight).
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox, tow