Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Roadmaster conversion

I've a '08 Wrangler that the PO set up with a Roadmaster tow bar and base plate (although I'd call 'em more like 'brackets' than base plate). These brackets terminate forward as 1&1/2 inch receivers (XL series, I believe) and that's all that remains. From the pics on the Roadmaster website, these recepticles are for brackets that their drawbar attaches to and then the towbar attaches to the drawbar brackets...Whew!

I'd like to use the Blue Ox Aventa LX or the Aladdin tow bar using the Roadmaster brackets attached to the Jeep frame. Has anyone heard of doing this conversion or do I need to go with the Roadmaster set up? I like the Blue Ox's dust boots and the lack of the draw bar. The RM rig looks very stout, but if I can stay away from the extra weight and the mass of the draw bar, I'd like to do that if someone makes the tabs or lugs for the B O's three lug tow bar tabs.

Anyone know of a source for the tow bar tabs that fit the Roadmaster recepticles and will fit the Blue Ox tow bars? Anyone done this or seen it done before? I'm a little hesitant to call either companies...not sure if they would appreciate the conversion. I'm not sure I want the Blue Ox bad enough to install their base plate, if the conversion can not be done. Any advice or thoughts?

Meanwhile, the research continues... Thanks, Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If I remember right, blue ox sells a conversion like you are talking about. My first blue ox tow bar, I bought an adapter that went on the roadmaster base plate for it.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajudge View Post
If I remember right, blue ox sells a conversion like you are talking about. My first blue ox tow bar, I bought an adapter that went on the roadmaster base plate for it.
Thanks dajudge, first encouraging words since I started in this direction. I'll give Blue Ox a call tomorrow.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:32 AM   #4
paz

Adapters for Blue Ox towbars are available from RV Upgrades HERE. RV Upgrades is a very good company to deal with, plus they are a sponsor of iRV2. Support them if you can.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Adapters for Blue Ox towbars are available from RV Upgrades HERE. RV Upgrades is a very good company to deal with, plus they are a sponsor of iRV2. Support them if you can.
Thanks paz, bookmarked their site...I would have called them but their phones aren't manned on Saturdays. Looks like I'm going to have to start a website list for all the RVing info and suppliers...sooo many! Bob

Old 02-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #6

Bob....I have some I dont need....email me at ppcdoc@yahoo.com if interested...thanks
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by footdoc View Post
Bob....I have some I dont need....email me at ppcdoc@yahoo.com if interested...thanks
Thanks footdoc, but after a second call to Roadmaster they're saying now that they discontinued making separate front arms for my frame brackets with the 1&1/2" receivers(XL series)...well, unless you buy the brackets AND front arms as a unit. They say they are a matched unit... Up until they told my that, I was prepared to go straight Roadmaster from frame brackets to RV receivers.

I'm to the point now that I'm seriously thinking I'll get rid of the RM brackets and start from scratch with Blue Ox base plate. That way I'll eliminate the cross/draw bar of the RM and get the BO towbar of my choice. I DO like the dust boots of the Blue Ox Aventa/Aladdin and the fact they don't use a draw bar for my Wrangler.

I really dislike the thought of spending the extra cash, but I just don't think there is another way...well with the exception of buying ANOTHER set of RM brackets and front arm assemblies. I'd still have the conversion to blue ox to contend with plus the crossbar

The wife and I are REALLY anxious to get this RV thing going, but I'm still open for any suggestions. I'm just glad the weather is still a little nasty for traveling...think: He's trying desperately to justify the delay in his mind!

Just as an aside, it's not my intent to offend any RM owners, Roadmaster's whole system looks to be very robust and I like the way they protect the wiring by running it thru channels on the tow bar arms. I am just trying to save some weight/mass of the cross bar and like the dust boots on the Blue Ox tow bars. Thanks, Bob

Old 02-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I've been trying to make this conversion work for at least a week now and I'm throwing in the towel. This coming Tuesday the RM base plates or brackets are coming off the Jeep. Going with a new Blue Ox base plate and I got what I thought to be a good deal on a new BO Aladdin, so it's on it's way as well... Cross off another item on the 'to do' list! Thanks everyone, Bob

Old 03-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
It's a done deal! :-)

Just to rap this thread up, I'm happy to say we are ready to tow! I did go with the Blue Ox base plate, Aladdin bar and the SMI Stay N Play Duo braking system. I'm very pleased with the install and plan to keep the Jeep 'til the wheels fall off, so the SMI system with all the components hidden away, feel that is a real plus.

Now after two months of the HR purchase, we are looking forward to doing some 'adventuring'...well, when the weather moderates somewhat and the wallet stops smoldering! Jezzz
Thanks for all the help and info. Bob