RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-09-2020, 06:58 PM   #43
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My very first toad, I bought the Roadmaster with the crossbar. I really disliked having to deal with it when we were not towing the vehicle and I had to remove it. The next vehicle, I checked and found that you can get the Roadmaster base plates WITH or WITHOUT the crossbar. I elected to get the ones without.

On most vehicles you have a choice to choose the crossbar or not. I believe some model vehicles are just not substantial enough and need the crossbar.

The crossbar also provides for attachments you can't add without it, like the protective shields. It also has quick connects (sliding grooves) for the safety cables.

Before taking some of the info on here as gospel, even mine, look at the different base plates and attachment systems that are offered by Roadmaster. When you look up your specific vehicle, look to the right on the chart, it will tell you what base plates are available, hidden or crossbar.

(JMO)…...Lastly, I believe that Roadmaster has the best tow bars and base plates around. I've used only Roadmaster on five different vehicles and never an issue. I believe others select Blue Ox and other brands because they're cheaper to buy. I've read at least three different times, on these forums, where the Blue Ox systems have failed.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
My very first toad, I bought the Roadmaster with the crossbar. I really disliked having to deal with it when we were not towing the vehicle and I had to remove it. The next vehicle, I checked and found that you can get the Roadmaster base plates WITH or WITHOUT the crossbar. I elected to get the ones without.

On most vehicles you have a choice to choose the crossbar or not. I believe some model vehicles are just not substantial enough and need the crossbar.

The crossbar also provides for attachments you can't add without it, like the protective shields. It also has quick connects (sliding grooves) for the safety cables.

Before taking some of the info on here as gospel, even mine, look at the different base plates and attachment systems that are offered by Roadmaster. When you look up your specific vehicle, look to the right on the chart, it will tell you what base plates are available, hidden or crossbar.

(JMO)…...Lastly, I believe that Roadmaster has the best tow bars and base plates around. I've used only Roadmaster on five different vehicles and never an issue. I believe others select Blue Ox and other brands because they're cheaper to buy. I've read at least three different times, on these forums, where the Blue Ox systems have failed.

Again....only the crossbar style is available with adaptive cruise control.
I already have a ReadyBrute towbar.
F4Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:39 PM   #45

I leave it on all the time. 2 padlocks instead of the pins. I couldn't care less what it looks like....seriously. One thing for sure, it's solid with that cross bar on it. My toad is old so no concern to me. If you have a newer toad and don't full time it may look a little "mad max" heading to the office.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:47 PM   #46

Upon further investigation, we don't have adaptive cruise control so I can go with the non-crossbar baseplate.
Just have to decide on Blue Ox or Roadmaster.
Already have the taillight harness to put on.
F4Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:10 PM   #47
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGlider View Post
As low as my Honda Fit sits to the ground, if I hit a tire tread I’m just going to put a for sale sign on whatever’s left and call it a day. I try to leave a lot of room to maneuver, when I can. My Navion is pretty nimble to be able move over providing traffic is cooperating. Road gators are nothing to play with for sure!

Alan
I ran over a most of a retread on the interstate, at night. I swear the car went airborne. It did about $500 worth of damage to plastic parts under the car.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:12 PM   #48
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgomez1976 View Post
Roadmaster has two base mount systems. One connects tow bar directly to base plates and the other connects tow bar to the "crossbar" that in turn connects to base plates. I chose the cross bar system for my F-150 because it allows the use of the protective screen (sorry can't think of the official name) that extends from the RV to the mounts on the F-150 keeping road debris such as small rocks, etc from kicking up and hitting / damaging the truck paint. Just did a 2500 mile trip and worked great.
Roadmaster now has a new screen that fits without the crossbar.

Tags
roadmaster