Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-29-2020, 04:29 PM   #1

Roadmaster crossbar thingy

Ok, so we will probably buy an Edge Sport and I can get a Blue Ox with removable pins, or I can get a Roadmaster that has that crossbar monstrosity that the towbar hooks to.
I can't figure out what parts I'll have to get in addition to the Roadmaster baseplate.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2020, 04:36 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
If you're worried about appearance, we leave the crossbar on only when we're towing or parked in campgrounds while on a trip. Otherwise, it & the brackets it sits on (that lock into the baseplate) are stowed. Unless you get on your knees & look (& also see the wiring connector zip tied to the front), the connections for the brackets are not noticeable.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:39 PM   #3
vwd

The crossbar comes with the tow bar. Roadmaster now offers a direct connect baseplate, which is simpler and does not use the crossbar for a lot of cars.
vwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:42 PM   #4

Just seems kinda clunky. Why didn't they just use pins in the holes that hook directly to the towbar like other base plates do?

Old 01-29-2020, 04:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwd View Post
The crossbar comes with the tow bar. Roadmaster now offers a direct connect baseplate, which is simpler and does not use the crossbar for a lot of cars.
I have a ReadyBrute Elite towbar.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:05 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
... snip ... Why didn't they just use pins in the holes that hook directly to the towbar like other base plates do? ... snip ...
My guess ... rigidity.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:05 PM   #7

I have always preferred Blue Ox base plates due to their clean appearance when not towing. I also prefer Roadmaster tow bars, so I use both. For less than $100 you can buy adapters to make the Roadmaster tow bar work with the Blue Ox base plate. You can actually get adapters for any tow bar to connect with any base plate.

You get exactly what you want.

P.S. I tow a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
If you're worried about appearance, we leave the crossbar on only when we're towing or parked in campgrounds while on a trip. Otherwise, it & the brackets it sits on (that lock into the baseplate) are stowed. Unless you get on your knees & look (& also see the wiring connector zip tied to the front), the connections for the brackets are not noticeable.
Same here. Can't see any more than a Blue Ox install once the crossbar and bracket arms are removed. There is the issue of having to stow the crossbar and bracket arms somewhere.

When installed, the crossbar reduces the tendency of the towbar attachment points to twist toward the centerline of the toad (as someone said, ["more rigid"]). It also provides a way to mount certain options, such as a rock shield.

I have seen Roadmaster offer both crossbar and non-crossbar baseplate designs for the same vehicle model.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:53 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
According to Roadmaster's Website you can get a base plate that doesn't use the crossbar if you want it that way. They have photos of the installed bars on their site.

https://fitmaster.roadmasterinc.com/...ST&type=direct

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdfinst/524460-5.pdf

etrailer has it on their website:

https://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates...leID=201996726

I put this style on my Honda Fit when I installed the baseplate.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4671_w0.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	458.6 KB
ID:	273632   Click image for larger version

Name:	w o.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	489.0 KB
ID:	273633  

TriGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:41 PM   #10

I hit a rolling tire tread one night and when it hit my Jeep Liberty it bent the Roadmaster cross bar about one quarter of an inch. After thinking about the bent bar I decided I was lucky to have it otherwise there may have been severe damage to the front of the Jeep.

As an aside, don't hit a tire tread if you can at all miss it. In addition to the bent cross bar it took out my towed lighting connection, the air line and electrical connection to the towed brakes. Fortunately, the break away switch was not damaged. If I ever hit something like that again I'll get off the road immediately to check all connections.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:54 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
As low as my Honda Fit sits to the ground, if I hit a tire tread I’m just going to put a for sale sign on whatever’s left and call it a day. I try to leave a lot of room to maneuver, when I can. My Navion is pretty nimble to be able move over providing traffic is cooperating. Road gators are nothing to play with for sure!

Alan
TriGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:55 PM   #12

I like the crossbar; it gives me somwhat of a bumper. Mine's bent a little. No idea how or when that happened. Better than a busted plastic fascia etc.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:57 PM   #13

Have to use the crossbar baseplate with adaptive cruise control on the 2017-18 Edge Sport.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:19 AM   #14

Roadmaster has two base mount systems. One connects tow bar directly to base plates and the other connects tow bar to the "crossbar" that in turn connects to base plates. I chose the cross bar system for my F-150 because it allows the use of the protective screen (sorry can't think of the official name) that extends from the RV to the mounts on the F-150 keeping road debris such as small rocks, etc from kicking up and hitting / damaging the truck paint. Just did a 2500 mile trip and worked great.
lrgomez1976 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roadmaster