Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-18-2021, 12:21 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Roadmaster Even Brake Pondering

So been a member here for a while. RV has sat since March 2020. Not sure why I waited so long to try and come up with a solution to towing my 2004 Jeep Liberty.

Use a Roadmaster tow Bar with my Tiffen gassed to tow my Jeep. Always a pain in the butt to get Even brake set up. Here is why...installs in just fine, connects to Transmitter, then your plug it into cig lighter...10amp. If I remember reading, Evenbrake needs 15amp. Even so, unit pumps up, ready to test. Hit button, works great. Ready to tow.

Problem I have in my head...system was with Jeep when I bought it, so this is what I have. If I leave it plugged in, key turned on so steering is unlocked, and tow for hours, the battery on Jeep dies. Problem solved by previous owner was to carry an extra jeep battery, put it on passenger side to run Braking system, put knife switch on Jeep battery to disconnect power from jeep while leaving ignition on. Stop for the night, put battery charger on Extra battery so it charges for next travel day.

Well this has worked, but there has to be a better solution. Was going to wire the extra 12V from RV cable to run Evenbrake, but what about emergency breakaway...lose power, doesn't work.

Maybe connect Evenbrake to disconnected jeep battery while towing? But then might not be able to start Jeep after unhitching.

Anyone else have this dilemma and come up with a solution? It's late at night, hope this made sense!

Steve in NM
vfr750nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2021, 12:55 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
What I suggest is that you use the charge wire from the motorhome to charge the Jeep battery rather than connect to the EvenBrake. Roadmaster sells one and there are also DC to DC chargers that are inexpensive on Amazon. That way, you use the Jeep Battery as is. If the breakaway happens, the battery on the Jeep will already be charged. No issue in keeping the EvenBrake ready to go and also keeping your Jeepís battery fully charged.

Also, are you sure that there isnít an option to unlock the wheel by moving the key just before the accy setting? Iíve had other cars where I could do that, such as my prior Chevy Tracker.

Finally, if you need more amperage for the EvenBrake, you can route an added connection for it from your Jeep battery. They are about $15 and include a fuse.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:03 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Good idea on charging Jeep battery. Will look into that option. Then just wire Even Brake to Jeep directly. Thanks.

Tags
brake, roadmaster