Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2018, 06:40 AM   #1

Roadmaster EZ4 vs. EZ5 - Chevy Colorado

Looking at the two different Roadmaster base plates for my new Colorado and there are two available, the EZ4 and the EZ5. I think the difference is that one uses the crossbar (EZ4) and one doesn't (EZ5).

The EZ5 also lists a whole host of things that won't fit if used, which I am not sure what some of these things are.

This bracket will accommodate any ROADMASTER motorhome-mounted tow bar. However, safety chain anchor brackets for Sterling cables does not fit. To use with Sterling tow bar the Sterling cable anchors must be attached to the frame of the vehicle or welded to the receiver portion of the bracket. IMPORTANT NOTE: this bracket will not accommodate the Guardian rock shield, Tow Defender, Stowaway or the StowMaster and StowMaster All Terrain tow bars.

It appears to me that the EZ4 provides more options for other equipment and both seem to install the same onto the truck. Wondering if anyone has any insight as to what I am missing.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2018, 07:42 AM   #2

vettenuts-

I think you'll find this is a Ford vs. Chevy kind of thing.

We have a Roadmaster Sterling towbar, so the crossbar brackets were pretty much mandatory. I haven't found the crossbar to be a big time sink, or problem creator. We have left it attached on occasion- for quick jaunts with the toad- although it's our practice to remove all the tow gear before putting the toad on the road. I do like the idea that the crossbar (should) provide some extra resistance against sideways pressure on the brackets. We don't use any of the accessories listed (Tow Defender, etc.).

That said, some folks can't stand the crossbar.

Ford vs. Chevy.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #3

Thanks for the input. I am thinking I might go with the Blackhawk 2 tow bar so I would need the EZ4 anyhow. This being my first four down setup, I am just trying to make sure I am not missing anything important.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:05 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
On our new to us 2016 Colorado I used the Blue Ox baseplate. Mainly because Roadmaster dufnt show a safety cable connection.
The Blue Ox installed great with no cutting.
I had to get adapters from my Roadmaster Sterling to fit the Blue Ox baseplate.
No crossbar with this set up, unlike our last one that did have the cross bar.
I like the NO CROSSBAR infinitely better.
I was also able to put the tow defender on as well. Just bolted the brackets to the blue ox adapters.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:02 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Looking at the two different Roadmaster base plates for my new Colorado and there are two available, the EZ4 and the EZ5. I think the difference is that one uses the crossbar (EZ4) and one doesn't (EZ5).

The EZ5 also lists a whole host of things that won't fit if used, which I am not sure what some of these things are.

This bracket will accommodate any ROADMASTER motorhome-mounted tow bar. However, safety chain anchor brackets for Sterling cables does not fit. To use with Sterling tow bar the Sterling cable anchors must be attached to the frame of the vehicle or welded to the receiver portion of the bracket. IMPORTANT NOTE: this bracket will not accommodate the Guardian rock shield, Tow Defender, Stowaway or the StowMaster and StowMaster All Terrain tow bars.

It appears to me that the EZ4 provides more options for other equipment and both seem to install the same onto the truck. Wondering if anyone has any insight as to what I am missing.

Just had the ez4 installed on a 2017 canyon. At first I really didnt want the cross bar but decided to buy the Tow Defender also. Don't regret it now. Works great and all attachments come off quickly. I just wanted to be able to use the defender to help protect the canyon.
gonecampin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonecampin1 View Post
Just had the ez4 installed on a 2017 canyon. At first I really didnt want the cross bar but decided to buy the Tow Defender also. Don't regret it now. Works great and all attachments come off quickly. I just wanted to be able to use the defender to help protect the canyon.

Thanks for the input.

Funny, I was just looking at the Tow Defender and Tow Guardian last night on etrailer.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
On our new to us 2016 Colorado I used the Blue Ox baseplate. Mainly because Roadmaster dufnt show a safety cable connection.
The Blue Ox installed great with no cutting.
I had to get adapters from my Roadmaster Sterling to fit the Blue Ox baseplate.
No crossbar with this set up, unlike our last one that did have the cross bar.
I like the NO CROSSBAR infinitely better.
I was also able to put the tow defender on as well. Just bolted the brackets to the blue ox adapters.

When I looked at the Blue Ox on etrailer they cut quite a bit of the internal plastic baffles and the metal under bumper arms. That’s the main reason I am going with Roadmaster.

Did they not cut these parts on your installation?

Tags
chevy, colorado, roadmaster