Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2018, 12:48 PM   #1

Roadmaster Invisibrake Brake Monitor Cable Wiring

Hey Guys:

I just got a Roadmaster tow setup with Invisibrake for a 2010 GMC Terrain and was wondering if the battery monitor cable that goes between the toad and coach could be put into the umbilical cord. I haven't looked to see if there are any open spaces in the 6 way round plug to attach the cable, but wanted to see if anyone else has done it.

Thanks
Alex
Shiba_Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2018, 08:06 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I can answer your question but let me tell what happen to me. I had Camping World in Kansas City setup my Invisibrake (first mistake) and CW told me that they had set up and ready to go I shouldn't have to do anything but hook it up. This was the first time towing a toad and took their word for it (second mistake). I towed the CRV for about 2000 miles from KC to Dallas and back. That completely destroyed my front brakes to the point that I had metal to metal contact on the CRV. Make sure, it's not set to high so when put the brakes on the toad is trying to slow down the coach. CW also said there wasn't any paperwork or instruction that came with the Invisibrake and I didn't press the issue (third mistake).
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:49 PM   #3

The toad doesn’t seem to pull when braking. But it would be nice to put the brake monitor into the umbilical cord so that it doesn’t have to be separate and potentially come out.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:45 AM   #4

Alex-

Some of us have used the trailer electric brake controller pin and wire in the coach hitch connector to deliver a toad brake activation signal to the coach dash.

Is your coach on a Ford or Workhorse chassis?
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 04:01 AM   #5

It is on a ford chassis.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:07 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, that is what I have done on my 2013 Enclave with Invisibrake. You should have a 6 wire connector on the TOAD and a 7 way connector on the coach. There is a brake control wire on the 7 way (usually blue) that goes from the rear of the coach to somewhere under the dash on the driver's side. Normally this wire is used in conjunction with a brake controller to power electric brakes on a large trailer being towed by the coach. You should be able to reach under the dash and find an empty connector or pigtail that is for installing the controller in the coach. Find the blue wire and the ground wire and wire the red LED that comes with the Invisibrake between the blue and the ground.

On the TOAD, the 7 way cable has a dark blue wire that connects to the same brake controller line on the 7 way connector, the 6 way may or may not have this wired, probably not. The 7 way has backup lights, which you do not need in a TOAD installation, so there should be enough pins for everything. Wire it to the last remaining pin on the 6 way and route that to your pedal switch on the TOAD, hot side when pedal is depressed.

Couple of caveats. This only works if your battery and brake lights on the TOAD remain connected when towing. If not, you will need to put in an auxiliary pedal switch and wire it to ground on the TOAD and modify the LED installation in the coach so that the blue wire in the brake controller pigtail now goes to the ground side of the LED and the hot side of the LED goes to the 12 volt positive lead, which is also in the brake controlled pigtail on the coach.

Really sounds more difficult than it is.

BTW. I did extensive research before going with invisibrake. Fantastic system if installed correctly. I do, however, recommend an ON/OFF switch, which is not normally installed.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiba_Alex View Post
It is on a ford chassis.
The applicable wiring diagram for your coach is here. See Sheet 3 Zone C-1, which is page 4 of the PDF document. As the coach came from the factory the trailer electric brake controller wire is not connected to the pin on the coach's hitch connector. To use it, you need to find the Ford connector and extend the wire from there to the hitch connector. This may or may not be difficult; it depends on where Winnebago placed the connector.

Once that is done, you need to find the Ford trailer electric brake controller connector under/inside the dash. This adapter will allow you to wire a toad brake activation light on the dash. Or, there could already be a Ford pigtail installed in the connector, in which case you don't need the adapter.

Finally, you need to get the signal from the Invisibrake on the toad to the correct pin on the toad hitch connector, such that the brake activation signal will get from the toad to the coach through the umbilical.

It does sound more complicated than it is. I have added an activation light to both the coaches we have owned.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:45 AM   #8

You probally already have this kit installed Equinox is also the same wiring as a Terrain. It does mention the blue wire or you can use the same (brake) pin in a 6 pin conector. It seems like you have the wire run now and could go either way.

The video at this site should help you.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow%20Bar%2...RM-751439.htmll
Dougsee3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, cable, monitor, roadmaster, wiring