Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2022, 06:23 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Roadmaster InvisiBrake Install

Greetings all;
Has anyone installed a Invisibrake on a New model GMC Canyon or Chevy Colorado? I have a 2022 GMC Canyon and have planned to locate the main control under the rear seat. The Air cylinder is a little more difficult to locate, I've actually considered mounting it under the hood. The problem is under the seat is I have Electric seats and no room. Also since the battery has to be disconnected to tow, what is the best source of power, positive post on disconnected Battery, or run 12VDC from Coach.

Thanks In Advance
TraceJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2022, 09:19 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I don't know if you have looked at the Ready Brake system, but it's a whole lot simpler, and is completely proportional braking.

The only thing you have to do to your toad is run the cable from your brake pedal to the front of your toad.

Most brake lights come on whenever the brakes are applied, key on or off, so all that's needed is signal and tail lights wired to your toad.

If you go with the Invisibrake, I see no reason you can't put the air tank under the hood. Just use a little larger air line.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 03:57 PM   #3

Invisibrake location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceJohnson View Post
Greetings all;
Has anyone installed a Invisibrake on a New model GMC Canyon or Chevy Colorado? I have a 2022 GMC Canyon and have planned to locate the main control under the rear seat. The Air cylinder is a little more difficult to locate, I've actually considered mounting it under the hood. The problem is under the seat is I have Electric seats and no room. Also since the battery has to be disconnected to tow, what is the best source of power, positive post on disconnected Battery, or run 12VDC from Coach.

Thanks In Advance
So, on my canyon, since the controller will not fit under either front seat, can it go in the engine compartment. The controller doesn’t look to be waterproof, so my concern is it getting wet. It would fit under the back seats, but I lose what little storage I have. I think I can make the air controller under the dash in front of the driver, but could put under the hood if need be. The system was given to me by the prior owner of the motor home so will save a lot of money if I can make it work.
tgodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 05:12 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgodrich View Post
So, on my canyon, since the controller will not fit under either front seat, can it go in the engine compartment. The controller doesn’t look to be waterproof, so my concern is it getting wet. It would fit under the back seats, but I lose what little storage I have. I think I can make the air controller under the dash in front of the driver, but could put under the hood if need be. The system was given to me by the prior owner of the motor home so will save a lot of money if I can make it work.
You could always buy a small waterproof container to put the controller in, then mount that under your hood. Lots of options. We have Princess Auto here in Canada, but Harbour Freight will have some to choose from as well. Well under $50.00. Something like this......

Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 09:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgodrich View Post

I installed my control box under my rear seat but you can install it behind the rear seat or in behind the spare tire or anywhere it will fit , except where it will get wet . the cylinder will fit under the front seat as it is only 1 inch in diameter , as far as pulling a fuse the invisibrake charges the battery as you drive so you may not need to pull a fuse , check with Roadmaster .
tad-655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 04:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tad-655 View Post
I installed my control box under my rear seat but you can install it behind the rear seat or in behind the spare tire or anywhere it will fit , except where it will get wet . the cylinder will fit under the front seat as it is only 1 inch in diameter , as far as pulling a fuse the invisibrake charges the battery as you drive so you may not need to pull a fuse , check with Roadmaster .
I’m also thinking about mounting the invisibrake unit behind my rear seat on a 2023 Canyon. My concern is accessibility should I have to adjust the setting on it. How often do you adjust it, or once it’s dialed in is it okay to be tucked away without easy access?
NC Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 10:43 PM   #7

On my 2023 Grand Cherokee I didn't have room under the front seat for the invisibrake box but under the rear was no problem , once you get it adjusted it doesn't require much access but till you get it adjusted you will need easy access , I would recommend somewhere with easy access . As far as the air cylinder it fit under my front seat even though it is electric as the cylinder is only about 1 inch in diameter . I am not familiar with the GMC Canyon but my invisibrake is fed by power from the tailites on my coach , as soon as I turn my lites on my invisibrake is powered and in turn it sends power to the toad battery to keep it charged . most trailer plugs also have a terminal to charge a battery for trailer brakes it could also be connected to that as another option ,If you have to disconnect the toad battery so it doesn't drain while towing it shouldn't need to be if you are charging from the coach . This is my third invisibrake unit , 2 in Chevy Trackers and 1 in the Jeep and they have always kept the battery charged .
tad-655 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, install, roadmaster