Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Roadmaster InvisiBrake vs other braking system

I am in the market to get my toad hooked up to my RV. I am looking at the Roadmaster InvisiBrake system, but I have heard that it engages when using the exhaust brake. Their website addresses this, but I am not sure I like the 15 seconds they mention. Anyone have experience with this or would like to recommend a better system?

FAQ on Roadmaster InvisiBrake website.

"My motorhome has an exhaust brake. Will it cause InvisiBrake to self-activate?
Only if the exhaust brake makes your brake lights turn on. In this event, InvisiBrake protects the towed vehicle by automatically releasing after 15 seconds of continuous braking. InvisiBrake will work normally with your next braking activity."

My first thought is 15 sec. is a long time, but then considering coming down a mountain or other long inclune and15 sec. is really not that long.

Thanks in advance.
djenkins452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #2

I thought , I had info on all brake systems, can't find anything on Invisibrake , and because of the activation of brake lights with the exhaust brake ( my coach has this feature ) , I was looking at Roadmaster's Brake Master , air activated system.

If the Invisibrake , control takes a feed from the brake lights and your coach activates the brake lights with the exhaust brake , the installation of a diode , so that only a feed from the brake light switch goes to the controller, can eliminate the 15 secs of braking at exhaust brake activation.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #3

Just back from the Roadmaster web site. Because of where the Invisibrake controller picks up it's activation signal , installing a diode where I had thought of ; for other systems ; will not work, on this one.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The RVi system is self contained so it doesn't care if your brake lights are on or not.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
The RVi system is self contained so it doesn't care if your brake lights are on or not.
That had been my ; best of the electronic ; choice.
Auxiliary Braking System, RV Towing, How to Tow a Car, RV Brake Parts & The Brakebuddy | RVi Brake
I think the OP was after a system that didn't require anything be moved to drive the toad.
But the rvibrake wins on, first time , install time.JMHO
OUCH, price increase.. in the big tent at Quartzite in Feb, they were less than 1k.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I use the RoadMaster BrakeMaster 9160, it is activated by the air brakes on your coach and is truely portional braking. It only activates when you press the coach brakes, and it's easy to install and remove, less than 1 minute. I've had mine for 4 years, the only other unit I would consider is the M&G unit, but they didn't make one for either of my last 2 toads.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #7

If your exhaust brake activates your brake lights, yes, you deal with the 15 second braking. If the exhaust brake doesn't activate the third (upper) brake light, which only comes on with the service brake, have the installer tap into that brake light. I have the InvisiBrake on my Vectra, and had I known I would have had them wire it that way. I do like the ability to adjust the compressor to increase or decrease the braking pressure.
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake