Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2017, 09:51 AM   #1

Roadmaster Sterling All-Terain

We just bought our first DP and inherited a Roadmaster all terrain system. What I am missing is the bracket that attaches to our 2016 Jeep Wrangler.

I went to the parts counter at our local Camping World with this question and left with a 3,000.00 estimate! Auxiliary braking system,cables and wiring plus installation.
Do I need all of this stuff to tow the Jeep? It seems a bit excessive.
jbowlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2017, 09:54 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In a word YES! You need it all. Some people will argue that you don't need the aux braking system, but, just as you need more HP to tow more weight you need more braking power to stop more weight. Plus, to be legal in every state you need it, no matter what your home state requires.
Now, as to cost...well you can do it yourself and order the parts online and it'd be cheaper, or you can find a local shop (NOT CW) and have them do it. In may case I do it myself
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:01 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That does sound like a high quote. I already have the Sterling All Terrain bar to tow our Miata. We also have a Jeep TJ that I'm setting up to tow. I just bought the tow bar adapter brackets to attach to the Jeep's after-market bumper, a Blue Ox Patriot braking system, the wiring harness, and safety cables for around $1300 from etrailer.com. Of course, this doesn't include installation, but it should give you an idea of what the parts cost.

In my opinion you do need the auxiliary braking system as many here will advise.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #4

As has been mentioned, everything you mentioned will be necessary assuming that the Jeep has never been towed before.

A big hunk of the cost is most likely labor. If you have the mechanical capabilities, the tools, and the time to do it yourself, you can probably cut that cost down quite a bit.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:02 PM   #5

Thanks everyone.

I just watched one of the installation videos on e trailer and it's looks pretty straight forward. I'll give it a shot.
jbowlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbowlby View Post
We just bought our first DP and inherited a Roadmaster all terrain system. What I am missing is the bracket that attaches to our 2016 Jeep Wrangler.

I went to the parts counter at our local Camping World with this question and left with a 3,000.00 estimate! Auxiliary braking system,cables and wiring plus installation.
Do I need all of this stuff to tow the Jeep? It seems a bit excessive.
Check e trailer: Trailer Hitches & Vehicle Accessories (800)298-8924

They have considerably better prices. We spent about half that much outfitting our 2004 Jeep TJ.

In 2014 the Jeep we were hit from behind on I-57 in Illinois. The hit was hard enough to destroy the tow bar and brackets attached to the Jeep. We bought a new Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain towbar for $890.00, and a XL baseplates for $399.00 from e trailer.

Sterling All Terrain towbar:
Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain, Non-Binding Tow Bar - Motor Home Mount - 2" Hitch - 8K Roadmaster Tow Bars RM-576

XL Baseplates:
http://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates/...er/1418-1.html

Note the towbar comes with a cross bar and brackets that attach to the baseplates.

The braking system is another expense. We used a Roadmaster 9060 system primarily because there's only an air cylinder to install and remove from the Jeep.

Since you have air brakes you can use the RM-9100 system. It costs $662.00 from e trailer

Braking system:
http://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Brak...00-900002.html

I installed the baseplates for our 2004 Wrangler in an evening.

It took a bit longer to install the braking system, primarily because for a gas powered motorhome you also need to install a compressor, and a proportioning valve in the hydraulic brake line.

On a coach with air brakes you use the coach air and no proportioning valve is required. There's a link to the installation manual near the bottom of the page describing the braking system.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:36 PM   #7

Just priced new Roadmaster base plates and SMI Stay n Play duo with all brake light wiring for right at $3,000 installed. Another shop quoted $3,400, so it sounds reasonable to me. Yes, you can save a lot DIY. I am still working, so don't have time to install myself. Don't really have any interest in doing it myself either.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:43 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought used Sterling towbar, aux brake and crossbar for 500. Base plate for 400. Installed myself. Sold unneeded base plate for 100. Rebuilt Sterling for 50. Then sold Sterling for 150. Bought new Sterling on ebay for 515. Used Rewards credit at 342. Net out of pocket 873.
Saved 2500+