Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Roadmaster vs Blue Ox tow bars/baseplates

This may have been covered in the past but I can't find the info I am looking for. For the people that have had both what do you prefer? I am going to put this on a 2013 CRV.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2013, 10:38 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I researched and chose Blue Ox. I liked the fact the base plate was nearly invisible once the removable tabs are off. I installed one on a 2001 & 2007 CRV. I chose the Aventa tow bar. PPL had a super deal on them at the time. Didn't need the 10,000lb capacity, but it should be the last tow bar I ever need. It's a heavy son of a gun, but it lives on the back of the Monaco and I never take it off.

I can hook up or unhook in less than a minute. Add 4 minutes to put the brake buddy in.
BPOE #2504
Bobs911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:43 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We went with RoadMaster because the factory was less than 20 miles from home. Now they've moved and are about 10 miles from home. They also have removable attachment points and once removed they can hardly be seen. I also like the extra crossmember at the brackets as that adds strength too.
Another plus at the time was that they were the only one advertising that they did finite analysis of their hitches and brackets but I see Blue Ox has started doing it now too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:18 AM   #4

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I already had a Roadmaster Tow Bar when I bought the coach. Gonna have a Roadmaster EZ installed on the Jeep. This is almost invisible when the connection points are removed.

It probably more depends on what you can purchase reasonable that fits your needs. What is the weight of your toad? This determines which model you might need. From there it is strictly personal preference. They are both rated highly.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:04 AM   #5

I have a Roadmaster and it is a rugged piece of equipment that if cared for will outlast the towed. I see some advantages for the Blue Ox, but I got the best deal on the Roadmaster on eBay so that is how I made the choice. Any brand requires some regular upkeep. Regular cleaning when in use to get the salt off of it, lube and touch up painting. My next will be aluminum.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #6

There have been issues with aluminum breaking on tow bars. I will stay with steel.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/blue-...-it-12551.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/recen...re-159303.html
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the replies so far. I have towed 3 vehicles with a Roadmaster Falcon 2 (Jeep Rubicon, Honda Pilot, Saturn SW). I had been looking at the Blue Ox because of the ease of hook up ( don't have the extra bar and pins). I did see the posts about the broken tow bar but a 20+ year old bar breaking, don't get me wrong it's not good. But that can't be the deciding factor in my decision. A Roadmaster set up would be slightly less money. But not enough to make me pick it.

I found the Falcon 2 towbar a pain to set up and take apart.

The Honda CRV I am our new toad weighs about 3400#
Old 06-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #8

I just installed a roadmaster falcon 2 towbar and roadmaster MX Baseplate on a 2013 jeep. I went with roadmaster because it mounted higher in the frame. (Remember it's a jeep),and because it was less obvious. with the MX baseplate you don't need (and can't use) the roadmaster crossbar. This makes it 'like' the Blue Ox on this point. I just towed 3,000 miles with this setup and loved it.

Good luck.
jdr159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
I only have experience with the Blue Ox. I can hook up the tow bar in about 30 seconds, it’s just two pins that connect the arms to the base plate. Two safety cables, an electrical cord, ReadyBrake cable and a break away cable in another 30 seconds and I’m off.

The ones that I’ve seen that I think were Roadmaster had a cross bar that stays on the vehicle. That cross bar may come off, Not sure.

If you are familiar with Roadmaster you may want to stay with it and just get a new base plate for your new toad.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:18 AM   #10

Difference I see between a Roadmaster and Blue OX base plate is that Roadmaster does the side to side connection of tow bar connection with exterior brackets. Blue Ox has it complete within the base plate. Roadmaster has the front bar mounted on the vehicle that need to be stored when not in use.
If you are going to install the baseplate yourself. Download the installation manuals for your car from both manufactures. Decide which one you like after installed. They usually have good pictures of the install.
I use a Ready Brute towbar. That has adapters for the Blue OX Base plate I installed. Choose the base plate you like. Then towbar you like with adapters to fit it to baseplate on vehicle.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #11

Retired Fire Service RVer's
This is the EZ baseplate for my Liberty. The 2 draw bars are twist on, twist off so the baseplate is not seen when not on Jeep. Since I already have a tow bar that is very highly rated, I don't see a reason to change that. As you can see the baseplate is $399 including shipping. I have someone lined up to install it for me (with my back problems, the installation is now beyond my capabilities). The adapter to use the Roadmaster Tow Bar and a Blue Ox baseplate added over $100 to the cost. Just cannot justify that.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #12

Either one is a good choice. More a matter of personal preference than quality or features, etc.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #13

Broken Tow Bar

We have a Roadmaster Falcon 2. Two days ago, while driving down I-30 the bar broke! (the metal bar that goes across the front of our jeep to the attatchment points) The bar broke close to the driver side attatchment side. This caused our Jeep to swing out to the right, putting large dents in the driver side of the Jeep, damaging the Jeep frame and transmission and putting a large hole in the back of our brand new 2013 Entegra Anthem. We have had the bar for several years, but it has had less than 10,000 miles on it. Has anyone else had this problem? We are stuck in TX trying to get both our coach and Jeep repaired. Because of product failure, I don't think we would buy a Roadmaster again.
nosnow222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have looked at both Blue Ox and Roadmaster.

Near as I can tell I can not recommend either over the other, Both are excellent products and any recommendation for one would equally fit the other..

SO, This is what I have noticed.. My blue Ox "Stows" on the motor home, so only the baseplate remains on the car.

SOME Roadmaster units "Stow" on the car, Those I do not like, since you are driving around with your tow bar on the front.. NOTE that other roadmaster units,, Work just like my Blue Ox.

Pick the one that your dealer handles or the one you like the looks of best.

OH, Customer service after the sale: Both companies also get top ratings in that department too.

IN short. It is a TIE.