Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2022, 08:23 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
New thought .
Lots of threads here begging for another tenth of a mile per gallon and we're hanging "sails" under our coaches. Human Beings ???????????

Mike in Colorado
When installed mine due to stone damage on the Explorer I didn’t gIn or lose mileage.
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2022, 02:21 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
When installed mine due to stone damage on the Explorer I didn’t gIn or lose mileage.
I get better mpg! Can't exceed 65 mph with my toad so basically I am driving 62 mph or less most of the time compared to 72 -75 not towing.

Gone from 6.8 - 7.5 mpg to 7.8 - 8.5 mpg.

306 hp v10 5 sp w tow/haul on most of time along with cruise control. I'll turn off cruise on steeper grades or push on the gas to keep it from downshifting
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:55 AM   #45

Was considering a higher rated capacity Curt hitch so I went out on a 41 degree day yesterday to take measurements to confirm fitment. Btw, have decided against it - another story.

While on the ground took these pictures of the outside and inside of my rock guard. Admittedly hard to see the divots and marks from pebble hits - but they are there!

Not scientific but I see a trend of Class A owners not having the best experience with rock guards.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220208_141922.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	356034Click image for larger version

Name:	20220208_142242.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	356035Click image for larger version

Name:	20220208_142255.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	356036
Old 02-09-2022, 10:51 AM   #46
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDParise View Post
Was considering a higher rated capacity Curt hitch so I went out on a 41 degree day yesterday to take measurements to confirm fitment. Btw, have decided against it - another story.

While on the ground took these pictures of the outside and inside of my rock guard. Admittedly hard to see the divots and marks from pebble hits - but they are there!

Not scientific but I see a trend of Class A owners not having the best experience with rock guards.

Attachment 356034Attachment 356035Attachment 356036
I see it differently. I see those marks as pebbles that would have hit the toad if the rock guard had not been there. JMHO
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 11:36 AM   #47

I agree, the marks on the backside are what was kicked up off the road and deflected by the ROCK guard. The back of my rock guard looks like it was sandblasted with pebbles from all the chips in the paint of the reinforcement. Better than all the very tiny rock chips I got in the bumper and windshield of the Explorer when I didn’t have the guard!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 01:29 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
I agree, the marks on the backside are what was kicked up off the road and deflected by the ROCK guard. The back of my rock guard looks like it was sandblasted with pebbles from all the chips in the paint of the reinforcement. Better than all the very tiny rock chips I got in the bumper and windshield of the Explorer when I didn’t have the guard!
Agree, anything that can knock down debris is a plus.
I don't understand the theory of a rock guard creating some sort of wind effect that whips up rocks into a frenzy...lol
Old 02-09-2022, 01:33 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I see it differently. I see those marks as pebbles that would have hit the toad if the rock guard had not been there. JMHO
Agree. At least that's my experience
Old 02-09-2022, 05:28 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We are belt and suspenders type. I have the flaps behind all wheels hanging maybe 9" from the ground. I have a curtain of overlapping flaps across the back at the rear bumper (Rocksolid) maybe 6-8 inches from the ground. We added a bra to the toad.

No damage to the toad except the holes in the grill to add the hookups.

But pull the toad in a rain storm and its so dirty.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:51 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
We are belt and suspenders type. I have the flaps behind all wheels hanging maybe 9" from the ground. I have a curtain of overlapping flaps across the back at the rear bumper (Rocksolid) maybe 6-8 inches from the ground. We added a bra to the toad.

No damage to the toad except the holes in the grill to add the hookups.

But pull the toad in a rain storm and its so dirty.
Had to look up what belt and suspenders type means and I also thought mitigating risk was a good thing to do by installing a rock guard. The pictures I posted above do show small impact dents from road debris so they offer what's towed some degree of protection that they otherwise wouldn't have.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:49 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDParise View Post
I don't understand the theory of a rock guard creating some sort of wind effect that whips up rocks into a frenzy...lol
From post #31 in this thread:

The flaps, especially if they are heavy, will compress air as it moves under the flap, and then as the air suddenly decompresses the vacuum can pull up small rocks and other road debris. This is why adjusting the flap to provide sufficient ground clearance may work for some folks.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:01 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert View Post
From post #31 in this thread:

The flaps, especially if they are heavy, will compress air as it moves under the flap, and then as the air suddenly decompresses the vacuum can pull up small rocks and other road debris. This is why adjusting the flap to provide sufficient ground clearance may work for some folks.
Yes I saw the theory.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:39 AM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FYI here is my solution which seems, over about 25K miles, to work well, with no loss in MPG that I can detect.
#1 keeps the undercarriage clean, especially the entry step mechanism.
#2 does most of the work behind the drivers.
#3 does a very good job of keeping the bike clean, and I don't think it kicks up rocks for the folks behind me. Note the reinforced hitch w/ 2x2x1/4 angle.
#4 my MC hauling setup.

Mike in Colorado
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	356130   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	356131  

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	356132   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	356133  

2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 09:54 AM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As hilgert stated, there is a "venturi effect" if the "sail" is too close to the ground, so it actually kicks up rocks for the folks behind.
SO, no offence Chris, but I will take great pains to not follow your coach with a billboard that is this close to the ground.

Here in Colorado, where we used decomposed granite instead of sand for our roads, many body shops make a good living replacing windshields and painting the front end of cars in the spring. Ask me how I know...........

Mike in Colorado
Attached Images

2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:23 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
As hilgert stated, there is a "venturi effect" if the "sail" is too close to the ground, so it actually kicks up rocks for the folks behind.

SO, no offence Chris, but I will take great pains to not follow your coach with a billboard that is this close to the ground.

Here in Colorado, where we used decomposed granite instead of sand for our roads, many body shops make a good living replacing windshields and painting the front end of cars in the spring. Ask me how I know...........

Mike in Colorado
Not offended at all.

Have a great day

Chris