RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
Without any wind tunnel test to lean on, I believe the big mud flap causes high pressure on the front side and right under it. The high pressure air bounces off of the ground causing loose debris to become airborne.

You get the same action from a yard blower pointed at the ground.

I also think the mudflap causes reduced fuel mileage as it too acts like a sail under the coach.
That is exactly what happens. I had stone chips over six feet above the road on my enclosed trailer. The flap gets the small stones airborne and the vacuum behind the coach lifts them higher till they hit what's following.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2019, 08:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
That is exactly what happens. I had stone chips over six feet above the road on my enclosed trailer. The flap gets the small stones airborne and the vacuum behind the coach lifts them higher till they hit what's following.
I never follow a Motorhome with a full length mud flap.
Tror Fourwinds Class C, 1961 American Eagle 01 Bus
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:37 PM   #17

I have mud flaps behind the rear wheels, but I removed the ad flap four years ago. I tow a Jeep four down and after 70,000 miles of towing and two trips to Alaska, plus driving another 60,000 miles, I have only two rock chips which I think happened while driving. I made one trip with the ad flap that was all highway towing and found rocks under the wipers. If a person wants to keep the ad flap then they probably need a protective screen on the tow bar. I didnít want the extra work, so off came the ad flap. I originally heard of the problems with the full width flap on this forum.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:58 PM   #18

I found 3 or 4 rock chips after our first long trip with our new toad.

I then bought brush mudflaps on our class C. They spans the entire width of the RV, except where I trimmed it for the tow equipment. The brushes can be cut to desired length with tin snips. They cost about 80 bucks on Amazon. Instead of drilling holes in the bumper I bought several bumper bracket.

We are now about 2500 miles into our Christmas trip and so far no new damage. Toad is also mostly clean.

Tags
toad, advice