Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2015, 08:22 AM   #1

Rock guards for towing?

Do those of you that pull a TOAD feel there is an advantage to having a rock guard on your MH? We have heard pros and cons and also the suggestion that a bra on TOAD might be an alternative. Any experiences you can share are appreciated. Thanks.
BarbandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2015, 08:38 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wish I had gone the bra route. I had no guard at all other than mud flaps, and my Subaru is suffering from a very bad case of road rash. All it takes is one trip through a construction zone with loose gravel.
I recommend the bra, inexpensive and you can remove it when not towing.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:37 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a swinging across the back mud flap and a Blue OX rock guard that I modified the mounts to fit my Roadmaster Tow bar. As long as the sweeping mud flap does not hang to low that it picks up rocks or other debris, my toad gets by relative free of chips. Unlike others that have said they never get chips without the extra rock guard, I have had to replace my windshield when I did not have the guard, and the front of the toad has lasting paint chips from that time. However, it seems to me that the toad still gets quite dirty from the slush that comes from running in a rain and also from the diesel exhaust. I doubt there is any thing that can be done about that.I also doubt the bra method is as successful as one would hope for because of rubbing or debri caught between the Bra and the vehicle. My doubt comes from using winter covers and uncovering rubbed corners and other areas that was damaged because of the wind movement from the wind!
Old 08-25-2015, 09:59 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
The so called "rock guard" that is a full width flap can easily cause more damage than it prevents. Most totally remove it before heading out on an Alaska caravan where you encounter lots of gravel. We saw extensive damage caused by improperly installed guards on our caravan. If you have one, it MUST clear the ground by at least 6“ at normal ride height. Mine is 6-8" above the ground, and if it is ever damaged/bent/etc I will not pay a dime to replace it. Much more effective is the Blue Ox Kargard ...a vertical shield mounted on the tow bar right in front of the toad. I altered mine to angle apx 15 degrees toward the MH at the top to better deflect stones downward after it seemed to be deflecting stones into the back of the MH. I have seen others that the owner covered the hard surface in a soft rubber sheet to accomplish the same thing. Roadmaster makes a similar product out of a more flexible material. Perhaps the most effective shield is the "underskirt" type device that consists of a porous fabric that covers the entire area between the MH and the toad just below the tow bar. A rear exiting diesel exhaust can be the biggest problem with that system. It would have to be above the exhaust pipe.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:29 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like the Blue Ox shield but it is pricey. I towed my Honda for about 75000 miles with a brush type guard installed. It also needs to be cut so it doesn't touch the ground - about 6 inches above the ground at the normal ride height as I recall.
Many people claim the brush type doesn't work well but mine did. There were a few paint chips in 75,000 miles but no windshield damage.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:44 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We use the solid rubber UltraGuard flap with 4" clearance at the bottom, along with the Protect-A-Tow mesh shield between the MH and toad. We have never had any damage to the toad! I feel this combination gives you the very best protection possible!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
The so called "rock guard" that is a full width flap can easily cause more damage than it prevents. Most totally remove it before heading out on an Alaska caravan where you encounter lots of gravel. We saw extensive damage caused by improperly installed guards on our caravan. If you have one, it MUST clear the ground by at least 6“ at normal ride height. Mine is 6-8" above the ground, and if it is ever damaged/bent/etc I will not pay a dime to replace it. Much more effective is the Blue Ox Kargard ...a vertical shield mounted on the tow bar right in front of the toad. I altered mine to angle apx 15 degrees toward the MH at the top to better deflect stones downward after it seemed to be deflecting stones into the back of the MH. I have seen others that the owner covered the hard surface in a soft rubber sheet to accomplish the same thing. Roadmaster makes a similar product out of a more flexible material. Perhaps the most effective shield is the "underskirt" type device that consists of a porous fabric that covers the entire area between the MH and the toad just below the tow bar. A rear exiting diesel exhaust can be the biggest problem with that system. It would have to be above the exhaust pipe.
You are 100% correct on all accounts. My full width flap resides in Whitehorse, YK and I have no plan to replace it for the very reasons you stated. My toad stays a lot cleaner without it.
I do have a Blueox Karguard that served us well on our AK trip. I did try the fabric route but as you stated, it's a no no with a rear exhaust outlet.

The best and most effective protection is a good set of flaps behind the rear duals that are set to about four inches off the asphalt at running height.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
You are 100% correct on all accounts. My full width flap resides in Whitehorse, YK and I have no plan to replace it for the very reasons you stated. My toad stays a lot cleaner without it.
I do have a Blueox Karguard that served us well on our AK trip. I did try the fabric route but as you stated, it's a no no with a rear exhaust outlet.

The best and most effective protection is a good set of flaps behind the rear duals that are set to about four inches off the asphalt at running height.
I am 100% in the dennis45 court. I am configured exactly as he is and I have no toad road rash.

Yes, my full width Newmar flap is hanging on my shop wall where it's going to stay!!
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:15 PM   #9

We are presently in Alaska and this is our 6th trip up here since 2006. On all trips I have had a full width flap on the rear of the MH. If these are installed too low to the ground, they will definitely throw up lots of stones and debris and can damage your car, but if properly installed, they work great. We usually manage about 100 or more miles on gravel and dirt each trip and do not have damage to any toad we've pulled. We do use a bra on our toads made by Coast Linr RV and Offroad (Coastline RV and Off Road - RV Products) and have had NO damage to the toad due to stones hitting the unit or dirt and grit damaging the paint under the cover. THe cover does have to be cleaned regularly but is the best insurance you can have.

We have bought 3 toad covers and 2 RV bra's from these folks. Three of the 5 were custom made by them while we waited as they did not have a pattern for our units. Give them a call.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
We are presently in Alaska and this is our 6th trip up here since 2006. On all trips I have had a full width flap on the rear of the MH. If these are installed too low to the ground, they will definitely throw up lots of stones and debris and can damage your car, but if properly installed, they work great. We usually manage about 100 or more miles on gravel and dirt each trip and do not have damage to any toad we've pulled. We do use a bra on our toads made by Coast Linr RV and Offroad (Coastline RV and Off Road - RV Products) and have had NO damage to the toad due to stones hitting the unit or dirt and grit damaging the paint under the cover. THe cover does have to be cleaned regularly but is the best insurance you can have.

We have bought 3 toad covers and 2 RV bra's from these folks. Three of the 5 were custom made by them while we waited as they did not have a pattern for our units. Give them a call.

Love your Avitar......
Old 08-25-2015, 05:08 PM   #11

how long does it take to install the bra? Does it cover the windshield? Is a rock guard required with the bra?
BarbandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbandBob View Post
how long does it take to install the bra? Does it cover the windshield? Is a rock guard required with the bra?
The bra sounds good but, I can tell you, we have a custom windshield cover that kept us from having a smashed windshield on our AK trip and our travel mates had a full front bra covering the front and windshield. Both of us have rub rash from these covers. Unless you are planning some rugged trip, I would forget the bra idea and just go for the Blueox Karguard (or equivalent Roadmaster Rock Guard) and a good set of rear flaps behind the duals. I have not used my windshield cover since AK.
I speak from experience. But, the choice is yours...
Old 08-26-2015, 03:55 AM   #13
RV LIFE Support Team

The problem we have read about the bra is that something(even little) gets under it and it wears through the paint. We ended up buying a Protect A Tow and are very happy.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:55 PM   #14

Does having a clear bra on your Toad provide enough protection for a toad?
Ruddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing