Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Exceeding the GCVWR is a decision only you can make but I would venture to assume over half of us are overweight at least when we first set out on a long trip.

Brian
Just because people do it doesn't make it legal or safe!

And we're one of the "50%" that are under weight!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
That may or may not be true!
The rating is due to the LOWEST rating of many components like tires, brakes, axles, frame, engine, transmission and hitch to name a few.
The only one that can legally change the weight ratings is the manufacturer of the complete vehicle which is what happened to us. Newmar had Spartan change the front axle from a 12,000# unit to a 14,600# one. They then issued us a modified weight sticker that was placed in above the original sticker. Spartan even had to affix the sticker, they wouldn't let me do it!
I agree only the manufacturer can officially change the weight ratings of the RV, but I think strengthening the hitch is a different matter. I've installed hitches and had them installed. Beefing up the hitch he has is a similar action. It in no way changes the GVWR, that is the same. I cautioned the OP that if he would be exceeding the GVWR, the stronger hitch would do him no good.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I agree only the manufacturer can officially change the weight ratings of the RV, but I think strengthening the hitch is a different matter. I've installed hitches and had them installed. Beefing up the hitch he has is a similar action. It in no way changes the GVWR, that is the same. I cautioned the OP that if he would be exceeding the GVWR, the stronger hitch would do him no good.
If one wanted to strengthen a hitch merely to ad strength, go for it. The OP clearly indicates the desire to increase the towing capacity beyond 5,000# to between 7,000# and 8,000# and that is problematic at best. Certainly there is a mathematical way to strengthen the hitch, tow more than 5000# and stay under GCWR but I seriously doubt adding 2000-3000# of toad/trailer can do that. I could even concede that if the hitch was properly beefed up and the toad had a properly working braking system that if one stays within GCWR they just might not create an unsafe condition. However, I still think it might be problematic in the legal sense. I THINK that any chassis modification not approved by the manufacturer is asking for a (pardon the pun ) load of trouble.

Do ya feel lucky punk?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
I think if the OP wants to haul an 8000 lb trailer, he aught to look for a MH with a 10,000 lb. hitch and GVWR rating that allows for that. According to a spec sheet for the '04 National T370, http://www.oceangrovervsales.com/IRV/Files/217493_1.pdf
It has an unloaded weight of 24,060 lbs. and a GVWR of 27,910 lbs. and a Gross Combined Weight Rating 32,910 lbs. I don't see any way you could pull a 7-8 K trailer and stay safe.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
The manufacturer also sets the towing capacity, which means they have to certify the modification. And I'm betting they would never do that.
Now, I'm also betting that lots of people tow way over their rating with no trouble, however I won't do it nor would I recommend it.

However, in our case for our rig I did contact Spartan and found I could replace the 6,000# hitch with a 10,000# one and be fine with the higher rating.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #20

MR_D, What was the difference in your GVWR and GCVWR if I could ask ? I assume that tells the weight of any towed trailer or Toad. Mike.
CARDINAL905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #21
CD

If you will have a manufacture warranty I would not make those kind of mods without the manufacture's approval. The warranty will probably go right down the tube when they find out.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDINAL905 View Post
MR_D, What was the difference in your GVWR and GCVWR if I could ask ? I assume that tells the weight of any towed trailer or Toad. Mike.
I'm not MR-D but...

GVWR = Is the max weight rating for the vehicle by itself.

GCVWR or GCWR = max combined weight of the vehicle and anything being towed by it.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
If you will have a manufacture warranty I would not make those kind of mods without the manufacture's approval. The warranty will probably go right down the tube when they find out.
The OP was looking at a 2004. Do you think the manufacturer has an 8 year warranty?

Bob & Donna
Old 08-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #24
CD

Quote:
The OP was looking at a 2004. Do you think the manufacturer has an 8 year warranty?
My mistake. I had the idea it was new or near new.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
3 days ago, this happened to me.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1387.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	25667   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1389.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	385.1 KB
ID:	25668  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1390.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	384.2 KB
ID:	25669   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1391.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	25670  

Old 09-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startech View Post
3 days ago, this happened to me.....
Would you like to provide any further details on this? Looks like the safety chains were very close to being tested.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
That was a brand new hitch. I was towing 5100 lb Jeep on a trailer that may weigh ~2k. I towed maybe 3000 miles mostly highway when I noticed it. There was no indication that there was a problem, was just doing a safety check prior to departure. I have been towing for 30 years and have towed heavy with 5k hitches without ever having a problem. So as embarrassed as I am about this, I guess you are never to old to learn. This could have been very bad. I was towing to much weight for that hitch and I also think the hitch needed a longer drop. So I replaced it with the correct weighted rated hitch, with a longer drop so that the front axle of the trailer could do its job. Everyone I have shown this to has said the same thing-they had never seen a hitch fail like this. You may get away with something like this on a short haul, but why chance it? Towing heavy is serious and I won't ever chance it again.

Hopefully my experience will save others from a tragedy.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #28

I have decided after this forum that I had better stay focused on ones that have 10k hitches, dont like Lawyers and dont want to have issues. Thanks for the posts !
CARDINAL905 is offline   Reply With Quote