Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2021, 01:16 PM   #1

Rubber tire stems?

We have a 2021 Tiffin RED 38KA, which has the internal TPMS which comes with the Freightliner chassis. We've decided it will be easier and more accurate to add eez sensors to the Equinox we tow, rather than going through the hassle of adding sensors for the Equinox with Freightliner. Also, should we still continue having problems (false pressure and temp readings) with the current system, we could just add eez sensors to the MH if needed. Our concern: The Equinox has rubber valve stems. To replace with metal stems would involve replacing the sensors which are connected to the existing rubber valve stems. Just too expensive. So, will we have a problem using the non-flow thru lighter weight eez sensors on the rubber stems? Seems that I've read where this could cause rubber stems too much stress.
Thanks for your help.
Robert
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2021, 08:42 PM   #2
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJEV View Post
We have a 2021 Tiffin RED 38KA, which has the internal TPMS which comes with the Freightliner chassis. We've decided it will be easier and more accurate to add eez sensors to the Equinox we tow, rather than going through the hassle of adding sensors for the Equinox with Freightliner. Also, should we still continue having problems (false pressure and temp readings) with the current system, we could just add eez sensors to the MH if needed.

Our concern: The Equinox has rubber valve stems. To replace with metal stems would involve replacing the sensors which are connected to the existing rubber valve stems. Just too expensive. So, will we have a problem using the non-flow thru lighter weight eez sensors on the rubber stems? Seems that I've read where this could cause rubber stems too much stress.
Thanks for your help.
Robert
My take: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2018...ml#post5641880

I do know some people, including a full-timing friend, installed their TPMS sensors on an Equinox and have never taken the off in thousands of miles.

Have you actually priced changing the stems? I know many sensors simply screw to the bottom of the valve stem but do not know if that is accurate for the Equinox.

If not, then changing a defective valve stem could cost upwards of $50. <shudder>

Ray
Old 02-19-2021, 07:46 AM   #3

We have a 2012 equinox with factory stems been towing it for about 20,000 mi no problems yet, i think factory tpms stems may be stronger than regular rubber stems due to tpms inside (I THINK),On my f350 stem broke at about 5,000 mi regular rubber stems no tpms inside TST 507 sensors.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:57 AM   #4

Just my experience on rubber valve stems. My first tow vehicle was a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with rubber stems. I put my Eeztire sensors on the vehicle the first week that I bought it new and took them off the day that I traded the car which was over 60k miles of combined driving and towing. The OEM Firestone tire were crap in my opinion because they were so noisy but they wore really well and they lasted the entire time of my ownership with lots of tread remaining. I had no problems with the valve stems - no cracking, leaks, or any other issues. The Michelin tires that came on my 2018 Equinox 1.5 FWD have not shown similar wear performance to the Firestones on my Cherokee and were completely worn out after about 17k miles of combined driving and towing and had to be replaced. I examined the tire stems that were removed at the tire change and they looked completely normal. In conclusion, I too was initially concerned about potential effects of the sensors on the rubber valve stems but no longer worry about them based on my experience.
Bikinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:42 AM   #5

We have over 20,000 miles on our Chevy HHR with rubber valve stems. No issues whatsoever. The TPM sensors are the theft resistant type. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:58 AM   #6

Thanks. I feel okay with the rubber stems now. Appreciate the help.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:33 AM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I added 2 sensors (from my tst system) to my motorcycle trailers rubber valve stems towed behind my 40' coach & about a year later as i'm rolling down i-90 at 70mph i get an rapid air loss alarm for the right rear mc trailer..pull over quickly to inspect to find that the sensor had stressed the valve stem from the centrifugal force over time & it had cracks in it..standing still no problem but if i it pushed the valve over a little more air released..i had 18psi left so i aired it back up & took wire ties to secure it to the wheel through the slots & only drove 30mph to a tire center to remove & replace with steel valve stems..got lucky on that one!
groveln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:17 PM   #8

Quote:
We have a 2021 Tiffin RED 38KA, which has the internal TPMS which comes with the Freightliner chassis. We've decided it will be easier and more accurate to add eez sensors to the Equinox we tow, rather than going through the hassle of adding sensors for the Equinox with Freightliner. Also, should we still continue having problems (false pressure and temp readings) with the current system, we could just add eez sensors to the MH if needed. Our concern: The Equinox has rubber valve stems. To replace with metal stems would involve replacing the sensors which are connected to the existing rubber valve stems. Just too expensive. So, will we have a problem using the non-flow thru lighter weight eez sensors on the rubber stems? Seems that I've read where this could cause rubber stems too much stress.
Thanks for your help.
Robert
If the current valve stems are rubber/flexible, sooner or later you will get valve stem leakage. And the longer the valve stem the worse it is. My neighbor didnt listen to me. Within a year he had two failures. Finally replaced with metal and no problems.
My tracker has short rubber valve stems, but they come out of the wheel into a semi-circle wheel cut out so when i screw the sensors on the valve stem, it fits snug on 3 sides, side to side and outward. Cant flex while the wheel is turning. Just dumb luck in my case.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:16 PM   #9

I talked to a rep from ezee and asked them if it would be safe to use on the rubber stems . I was told not to use the flow through sensors you will have problems. The other ones no problem and recommend using on the tow vehicle.
Quote:
Thanks for your help.
Robert
O
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:47 AM   #10

Thanks. I’ve sent two emails to EEZ but no reply. Glad you got the information.
Robert
Old 02-24-2021, 07:26 PM   #11
NXR

Quote:
Thanks. I’ve sent two emails to EEZ but no reply. Glad you got the information.
Robert
TPMS salesperson thinking: "Hmm, if I tell him to definitely not install any type of TPMS sensor on rubber valve stems we're losing a sale. But if I tell him to install the lighter ones, he'll think that makes sense. What the heck, I won't be the one with the flat tire."

Ray
Old 02-24-2021, 07:56 PM   #12

I've had problems with my EEZ non-flowthrough sensors that I suspect are due to the rubber valve stems on my trailer. First time I put them on last summer I wasn't more than 100 miles from home when I developed a leak that resulted in an almost flat tire. Put on the spare, drove to the next town and replaced the tire. Then I started having other tires with warnings that were only a few pounds low. Seemed to happen when I was driving over 60 miles an hour. After several more stops due to warnings and having to break out the pump I stopped at a truck stop, took the monitors off and put regular caps back on. No more leaks for the remainder of the 3000+ mile trip. As soon as the snow melts I plan to get metal valve stems installed.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:11 PM   #13
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaul View Post
I've had problems with my EEZ non-flowthrough sensors that I suspect are due to the rubber valve stems on my trailer.
That could be partially due to the small trailer tire size versus a full-sized car tire. I calc'd the rotational velocity on my 12" dolly tires and those things were spinning about 2,000 RPM at 60 MPH. Nope, not doing that. I had some TR416 valve stems installed before the first trip.

Ray
Old 02-26-2021, 06:08 PM   #14

The centrifical force on the rubber valve stem as the tire rotates flexes the valve stem outward and somewhat sideways at the top where you screw on your tpms sensor. Speeding up and slowing down constantly flexes it more and less. Sooner or later it will leak.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, tire