Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2020, 02:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Dog View Post
The 2005 TJ has a steering wheel lock. It does not lock in the straight ahead position but when turned to one side or the other. What probably happened was that after stopping you made a tight enough turn that the steering locked.

That’s definitely possible
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2020, 05:45 PM   #16

RV pulling to the right, Toad problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
You were scrubbing the tire. I'd be surprised if the left front didn't look the same or nearly. If not, then I'd look at the steering on the Jeep. You could have a steering link issue.

Left front tire is fine. Steering on the jeep is fine, had it checked out yesterday. We replaced the right front tire so we could drive it and it drives just like it should. Starting to think the steering wheel light of gotten locked in one position or something
Old 08-06-2020, 07:14 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It's simple enough to check the brake buddy. if it does it again just unhook the cable to see if it stops pulling to the right.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:17 PM   #18
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDad View Post
Left front tire is fine. Steering on the jeep is fine, had it checked out yesterday. We replaced the right front tire so we could drive it and it drives just like it should. Starting to think the steering wheel light of gotten locked in one position or something
It is odd. I would think a locked steering wheel would mess up both tires, same as if the Brake Buddy messed up. Something caused that tire to drag. If it was a caliper I'd think the entire tire surface would be trashed.

Please post back if you figure it out.

Ray
Old 08-06-2020, 07:20 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you have an IR gun?

I know I'd be checking tire and brake temperatures for a while. May help point out the problem.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Sure looks as if the Steering wheel was LOCKED!

Put the key in and see if if moves or not - Don't ask me how I Know.

Google - Jeep Wrangler does come equipped with a steering wheel lock. The steering wheel lock engages upon removal of the key.

The problem is in the ignition cylinder itself. This is a common problem with Chrysler/Jeep products. The lock cylinder has become gunked up over the years, and the lock pins are stuck and not coming down to meet the key's surface properly.
If this happened it might just have "Bounced loose"

Jeep Manual How to Tow;

How To Tow A Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Behind An RV
First, the transfer case must be shifted into NEUTRAL. Here's how to do that:
Key must be in the "accessory" position:

Depress and hold the brake pedal.
Set Parking Brake
Shift an automatic transmission into NEUTRAL (N) or depress clutch pedal on manual transmission.
Shift the transfer case level into NEUTRAL (N).
Start the engine.
Shift the automatic transmission into DRIVE (D) or the manual transmission into gear.
Release the brake pedal and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.
IMPORTANT: Shut the engine off and place the ignition key into the unlocked OFF position.*
Shift the automatic transmission into PARK (P).
Apply the parking brake.
Attach the Jeep to the tow vehicle with a tow bar.
Release the parking brake.
Note: Damage to the transmission may occur if the transmission is shifted into PARK (P) with the transfer case in NEUTRAL (N) and the engine running!
As I said don't ask me how I Know - not in a Jeep but DW took the key out - she was only trying to Help - on my GX470 scrubbed/rubbed the
passenger tire through one of the steel belts and took a little off the drivers side - Key out - steering Locks - so yes it will KILL one tire and not destroy the other - really doesn't matter as both will need to be matched and replaced.

I found four, mounted, on Craigslist for $400.00 felt lucky.

Why after twenty years the DW decided to take out the key I'll never know - but I do know it will mess up just one tire.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:15 PM   #21
NXR

RV pulling to the right, Toad problem?

Quote:
As I said don't ask me how I Know - not in a Jeep but DW took the key out - she was only trying to Help - on my GX470 scrubbed/rubbed the passenger tire through one of the steel belts and took a little off the drivers side - Key out - steering Locks - so yes it will KILL one tire and not destroy the other - really doesn't matter as both will need to be matched and replaced.

Why after twenty years the DW decided to take out the key I'll never know - but I do know it will mess up just one tire.

JMHO,
Interesting, thanks for relating that. And thanks for not making me ask.

Ray
Old 08-07-2020, 04:14 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
As I said don't ask me how I Know - not in a Jeep but DW took the key out - she was only trying to Help - on my GX470 scrubbed/rubbed the

passenger tire through one of the steel belts and took a little off the drivers side - Key out - steering Locks - so yes it will KILL one tire and not destroy the other - really doesn't matter as both will need to be matched and replaced.

JMHO,

Well turning the key forward one notch is the first thing I’m gonna try when I hit the road again tomorrow morning!
Old 08-09-2020, 09:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Well turning the key forward one notch is the first thing I’m gonna try when I hit the road again tomorrow morning!

Update just drove 530 milesAnd the jeep towed flawlessly you were right turn the key one notch forward I’ve had other wranglers in the past that I didn’t have to do this with but live and learn thanks for all the advice.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:44 AM   #24

Quote:
Update just drove 530 milesAnd the jeep towed flawlessly you were right turn the key one notch forward I’ve had other wranglers in the past that I didn’t have to do this with but live and learn thanks for all the advice.
Thanks for letting us all KNOW

Always helps when we learn what the issue was.

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, toad