Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2020, 11:50 AM   #1

RV Tow Lights

I am setting up a 2021 Trailblazer for four down. I am torn between using magnetic tow lights or getting the blue ox diode kit installed. I am leery about tapping into the new vehicle electrical system and potential issues with warranty.

The tow lights seem easy enough. Just set them into position and run them to front and connect directly to motorhome 7 pin round connector. Would like to run light wires under vehicle so they are not exposed. Not sure if that can be done.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks

Ron
Sarz272000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2020, 12:08 PM   #2

I am pretty sure that someone makes a wireless tow light system, you plug a transmitter of some sort into the RV plug and put tow lights on the tow car. I don't remember where I saw it advertised, but hopefully someone here will be able to provide the info about it.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:09 PM   #3

I don’t know for your vehicle, but for my Jeep and ram truck they made a plug and play diode kit that you just plug into each tail light, no cutting of wires. I personally would not want to deal with external lights and routing of wires which could scratch paint. Just my opinion. If you can find plug and play kit it’s worth it.
Leonandlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:46 PM   #4
NXR

IMHO, do NOT just string the wiring under the car like Etrailer shows in all of their videos. Buy some plastic wire loom from Amazon or a car parts place and protect all of that wire from debris strikes. There's a reason a car manufacturer runs all of their wiring in protective loom.

I have a 2020 Equinox with LED lights and I cut into the wiring for the diode packs. The very thin wire required some extra care but I have a lot of electrical experience.

The Stay-IN-Play DUO was far more invasive because I had to cut into the vacuum system for the power brakes, the electrical for the various connections, punch a hole in an existing firewall grommet, and mount an actuator cylinder directly to the brake pedal.

Removing the front fascia and drilling those holes for the baseplate also was more invasive than the tail lights.

I've been at the dealer twice for warranty work on other systems and the only questions they asked was how it all worked because they had not seen one set up for dinghy towing before.

Under the 1975 Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act the only way a warranty item (in this case) can be denied is if the failure was caused by the modification. From some GM docs I saw the dealer does not have that authority; it requires a GM person. Just do a good job, eliminate all stresses on the wiring by not having anything too tight and have it all supported, and use solid electrical connections and it will be fine.

Your diode install would be considered an aftermarket part: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance

Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?
No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select parts if those parts are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

Ray
Old 09-10-2020, 03:07 PM   #5

I've used this with great results for over 3 years.

The nice thing is that if you need any replacements of any pieces then you can stop at most of the Tow Truck supply houses and pick up what you need. I have the sending unit zip tied to the 7-pin connector and we just move the light in and out of the RV when we need to charge the battery. We tow a Mini Cooper Roadster and the light just sits on the rear deck.

https://www.amazon.com/Lime-Light-Wi...s%2C344&sr=8-2
Old 09-10-2020, 06:58 PM   #6

As said, look hard for a plug and play kit. It is likely available, but they can be hard to find. Took me forever to find one for my 2019 Ram pickup.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:10 PM   #7

Sarz...I am thinking the same thing for my 2020 High Country...not really into the magnet thing and have used both the extra bulb solution and diodes before.....I have a friend who fabricated a light-weight, removeable "light-bar" for the towed's receiver hitch....its truly a "plug-n-play" that doesn't modify the vehicle for future use/selling considerations....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:24 PM   #8

I 100% agree I would not want to splice into OEM wiring, you're asking for trouble down the line. I my particular case I could get a plug and play flat 4 wiring harness, I just cut off the flat 4 connector and wired it to the 6 way plug on the front of the truck. In your case that option doesn't seem to be available. Maybe, just maybe you can find the connectors that you need and buy a male and female and "splice" into the wiring harness that way. One way you could do this is to find one in the junk yard and cut out both sides of the connection. You then have your connectors. Actually this would probably be the easiest way as you could cut off 6 or 8 inches of wire and then solder the whole thing together. When I did mine I ran the wire in the existing split convoluted tubing (wire loom) when I could. When I couldn't I just ran it above the existing loom and attached it with zip ties. This will protect it very well. For something to damage that wire it would most likely damage the wire in the loom too as most damage comes from the bottom. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:09 PM   #9

Here are the best quailty wireless tow lights I have found. My set is 7 years old and work perfectly every time I use them.

https://www.towmate.com/RVWirelessTowLights
Old 09-11-2020, 05:19 AM   #10

You may want to take a look at Hopkins Towing Solutions. They make dingy towing wiring harnesses for many popular toads. Some of the kits are completely plug and play. However, if you don't wish to go this route, those wireless lighting kits by towmate are the ticket.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
You may want to take a look at Hopkins Towing Solutions. They make dingy towing wiring harnesses for many popular toads. Some of the kits are completely plug and play. However, if you don't wish to go this route, those wireless lighting kits by towmate are the ticket.
Wow, Towmate is very proud of those lights. I'm sure they work great but I bought a set of of wireless magnetic tow lights off amazon that had good reviews and they have been fine for the last three years. Recently replaced the batteries (which were many).
Old 09-18-2020, 01:44 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarz272000 View Post
I am setting up a 2021 Trailblazer for four down. I am torn between using magnetic tow lights or getting the blue ox diode kit installed. I am leery about tapping into the new vehicle electrical system and potential issues with warranty.

The tow lights seem easy enough. Just set them into position and run them to front and connect directly to motorhome 7 pin round connector. Would like to run light wires under vehicle so they are not exposed. Not sure if that can be done.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks

Ron
Ron, I felT like you.....so I use the Towmate Light Bar .....it has 2 magnets and is wireless......works Great for the last 3 years.....I plug it in the hatch of the Grand Cherokee......C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:57 AM   #13

I have used 'Wireless Tail Lights' that I got from etrailer...

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wir...e/NV-5164.html

I've had them for 3+ years and like them a lot. Plug the transmitter into the tail light hook up on your motorhome. Then magnetically mount them on the back of your tow vehicle. Turn them on and drive away. Viola!

No paint beat up from rubbing wiring on your Toad.
FlatsixV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:01 PM   #14

Before buying magnetic lights for toad make sure there is enough steel to attach to. Many vehicles have so much plastic, fiberglass attachment is not possible.

Tags
light, lights, tow