Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-21-2021, 08:11 PM   #1

RVi 2 and 2011 GMC Acadia

I will be flat towing a 2011 GMC Acadia behind our coach using an RVi 2 brake controller. The RVi requires battery power via a cigarette lighter socket but the Acadia requires a main fuse to be pulled in order to tow. Pulling the fuse seems to kill all power to the Acadia, rendering the existing cigarette socket unusable. I would like to wire a separate dedicated cigarette lighter socket directly to the Acadia battery but am concerned about the RVi draining the battery when traveling. Would you recommend wiring directly to the battery or would it be better to wire it to the 7 pin connector on the back of the motorhome itself?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2021, 12:28 PM   #2

I use the connectors on the RV to change the car battery. My RVI is wired directly to to Car battery. This had worked for me for the last five years. If you hook up the RVI to the RV and you have a break away, there will be no power to the RVI. My RVI 2 does not have an internal battery and does not function with a power source.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:25 PM   #3

Good point about the RVi not having internal power in the event of a breakaway. It sounds like my best option is to wire the dedicated cigarette socket to the Acadia battery and then wire a charger from the Acadia battery to the coach if needed. Do most RVi brake users use a battery charger or do you find that the car battery will stay charged through a full day of towing?
Old 03-22-2021, 04:01 PM   #4

I don't have an Acadia but do tow an Equinox. My RVi2 will work just fine running off the Equinox battery for a days towing. Does your Acadia have a power port in the cargo area like my Equinox. It is hot all the time no matter if fuses are pulled or the key is off. That's what I use to power the RVi2. I would suggest having the Acadia battery tested and if weak replace it with a battery rated at 850+ CCA.
Old 03-22-2021, 04:10 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Will check about a power port in back but still may wire direct to the battery and mount the cigarette lighter socket under the dash just so everything is in one place.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:14 PM   #6

RVI makes a charger specifically to keep the battery up it gets it power from the motor home though the 7 th pin in the wiring harness. They also sell a simple battery disconnect to isolate the battery form the toad eliminating the need to pull a fuse. To that end Roadmaster make a Battery disconnect with a remote switch this is what I use it was easy to install and works great. Also the charger is monitored from the coach though the RVI tablet.
iambruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I ran a line from the toad battery to my RVi3 to power it. I've towed three days in a row without running the battery down. I bought the unit to charge the battery from the motor home, but I never installed the line from the RV battery to the 7 pin connector.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:03 AM   #8

Thanks for all of the replies. Based on what I have read on here, I am going to run a line from the toad battery to the RVi unit also. I usually run the toad for a few minutes each time that we fuel up and/or stop to stretch our legs. We typically do not travel more than 1-2 days without disconnecting the toad and using it also. This should keep the toad battery strong enough to operate the RVi and not drain the toad battery. Appreciate the help!