Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2021, 05:55 AM   #15

Mine had a lot of issues, but since setting in the middle of the bed it seems to work okay. However, my hub no longer charges and rather then repair I am supposed to buy a new one. I like the brake but the tablet and hub leave something to be desired. Even with these issues, I think it’s still better then any of the other portable systems.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2021, 06:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
I am installing my system today, so I appreciate all your comments.
Is it safe to say, that even with the connection problems, the brake unit is still working, if it has 12v power, going down the road?

Yes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RVi3 Capture.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	341837  
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:30 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I've had my RVi system for over 3 yrs now. It includes the TPMS and RVi3 brake. I'm on my 3rd set of TPMS and 2nd set of hub/tablet. All sent to me free after I had issues and discussed it with support. I had lots of communication problems during that time but found putting it near a window toward the rear seems to have solved it for the brake at least. Unfortunately the TPMS is another story constant issues with keeping pairing or communication with them. RVi support told me its normal to lose them at times. Last year I had trouble on a return trip home from camping. I'm always in the habit of checking my tire pressure before and after I get home. Had issues where I was getting erroneous readings. Pulled over to check manually pressure was fine. Drove straight home next day checked the pressure as I always do found one inside rear tire at 10#s the other zero. Now this was an ongoing issue with these tires on my Forza and was waiting final NHTSA for approval for a fix. Ironically while I was on my month trip it was approved. I was lucky but lost all faith in RVi's TPMS system. It could've ended in disaster. Luckily FL replaced the tires at no cost because the condition they were under unknown to me because I basically lost communication to the TPMSs and not once an alarm. No trust anymore. Ironically a buddy is having similar issues with his setup which he bought because of my recommendation before all this issues. Seems the longer the rig the more the problems started with a 37 ft. Class A gasser then a 40' DP now 45' and TPMS is useless IMHO.
Good news the brake will still work in spite of this lost signal.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:22 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
3 years and 2 TOADS with RVi brake, charge controller and TPMS.
Zero issues with the Brake System
1 replacement of the Charge Controller and some current issues with the replacement!
Multiple issues with the TPMS, battery life per a batch of replacement sensors. Currently getting a series of excuses on Hub Placement due to individual sensor failures. But sensors from other tires work in problem tires!
Tallcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 01:59 PM   #19

I have the same problem. Putting the hub in the middle of the bed works the best, but it still is disconnected and searching 10% of the time.

I have had this discussion with RVi. They blame interference. The RVi unit sits in the driver's foot well. The interference is the firewall, the toad engine, and the RV diesel engine. I was responsible for WiFi in close to 2,000,000 sq ft of warehouses. The buildings were steel, full of steel machinery, and steel storage racks. The storage racks were full of aluminum extrusions. It is not electronic interference. All they need to do is provide a remote antenna that plugs into the RVi unit that you can place on the dash of the toad.

The good thing is that the RVi brake system itself could not care less about the hub or the tablet.
bentjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 05:28 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree! A remote antenna would we awesome. If I position for the RVi Brake, the TPMS for some tires is weak. If I position for the tires, the brake signal is weak. Another antenna would solve the problem.
Old 10-02-2021, 09:51 PM   #21

We just finished a thousand mile trip with RVi brake 3 and Tire Patrol TPMS and had zero issues. We had an issue initially during setup with the hub not connecting, but we moved it onto a wall in the bedroom and power it with the USB next to the bed. We have the brake, TPMS, wireless breakaway and charge line for the towed battery. As per the recommendations, now that we're home and won't be traveling for a while, we will remove the TPMS sensors.

The only minor problem we had was the tablet coming off the magnetic mount when driving on some horribly rough roads.

The brake itself still works without the tablet according the RVi.
Donskiman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 02:43 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
After having issues with my 3rd setup from RVi and currently on a other trip with TPMS issues I give up. As did my buddy who is having similar issues. We both took the loss and ordered other TPMS systems. Hopefully these work a lot better because for the last year plus I've had no faith in the RVi TPMS but kept working with them along with newer versions to no avail. Very frustrated but after being on the road again with unreliable information I've ordered another brand and they should be here and hope they work as advertised. Good news they have replaceable batteries and a signal booster which IMHO is missing with the RVi. I'll keep using the RVi 3 brake because that finally seems to be working.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:56 PM   #23
YO_

National RV Owners Club
RVI brake

Hi all, just came across this and a little concerned. I've been using even brake for some time and finally done with their issues and was leaning toward this system.

It was mentioned towards the end about an external antenna and that is what I was thinking was needed. Little plug on the side to plug it in, hmmmm.

We have a 36' Class A with a rear window in the back. Do any of you with the issues have a rear window? Thinking the signal might come through a little better.

Will be watching this thread.

Thanks
YO_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 02:28 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don’t have a window, and also have a full wall slide on one side and 2 slides on the other, yet I get adequate coverage for both the brake and TPMS. I had to try a few places to find the sweet spot, but I’m happy with the connection. I love how quick the TPMS is to update during a drive, and that I can see all tire pressures at the same time. The brakes system is small and light compared to my last system. Occasionally, the brake system or the from right tire will lose a connection, but it is always a momentary issue that corrects itself. Overall, I’m happy with the system.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:08 PM   #25
Community Moderator

I have the engine in the rear, but with the hub located in the bedroom I get good connection to the brake and wireless break-away adapter. I don’t have the RVI TPMS so can’t speak to that connection. My EEZ Tire TPMS works great though.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:42 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
I'll throw my 2 cents in here. I have an original RVI unit for probably 5-6 years at least. I was also loosing communication a lot. Went to the factory in Colorado ant had them look at the unit and rebuild it. Still loose communication. After traveling a lot around the country, I have come to the conclusion that I loose communications when I am passing thru cities. My theory, and only mine, is that a lot of electronic stuff floating in the air and that is why I loose connection.
Bangorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:29 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
I'll throw my 2 cents in here. I have an original RVI unit for probably 5-6 years at least. I was also loosing communication a lot. Went to the factory in Colorado ant had them look at the unit and rebuild it. Still loose communication. After traveling a lot around the country, I have come to the conclusion that I loose communications when I am passing thru cities. My theory, and only mine, is that a lot of electronic stuff floating in the air and that is why I loose connection.
I'll agree with you on this since my lost post on this thread i decided to dump the RVi TPMS while on my current trip and switched to Tiretraker TPMS after some research and several folks I've met along the way of my current one month trip. Ordered them got them in about 9 days ago installed them and put booster in my all electric coach near the batteries for a lack of battery place. My first 360 mile trip had one sensor after another lose connection. Had 5 at one time.. very frustrated because this is why I bought these. My next stop moved the booster more underneath the coach away from batteries and relays. Next 300 mile trip not one problem. My buddy with me dump his RVi TPMS for same issues but went with TireMinder same time for other reasons he chose different ones but he had issues with 2 sensors wouldn't work from the getgo. Their sending him new ones so the juries out on them. Next Sunday I head home 400 miles he for about 300 miles see how they work. First time in several years I've had no issues with my TPMS. I asked RVi if they had an outside booster more than once since I had no issues with my 37 Class A gasser but once I hit 40 and now 45 continual issues.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:22 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow, I switched from TireTracker to RVi because I had so many errors from TireTracker! One time while traveling through Oakland on an interchange, it started beeping and indicating a tire was extremely hot. I thought it might be about to blowout on the overpass, which was a scary thought. Luckily I made it to an exit and it turned out to be just a false alarm. Ug.

I guess the lesson for me is that there are so many different RV configurations, you just need to go with whatever system works for you. Wishing you the best of luck with Tiretracker.

Tags
brake