Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:38 AM   #1

Location: now full time, headed to Red Bay via Dallas for Oct 6 upgrades
RVi 3 brake "searching"

We purchased an RVi 3 brake system for our Jeep GC that follows behind our 42' Tiffin in May and so far the tablet spends most of the drive time searching for the HUB and brake.
I've been in contact with RVi by phone several times and now by e-mail so its documented that I cant hold a signal but this is getting ridiculous.

Again today, before I ever started the MH up, I have the jeep on the tow bar and the tablet and hub sitting together on the dash and it just cycles back and forth between searching and connected.

Tech support says I'm getting wifi interference and gave me several things to try (like turning them all off) but come on, who doesn't have multiple wifi devises in now days.

Does any one else have this issue or is it just something unique to my set up?

Any ideas to keep this thing from continually flashing an alarm on the screen (I've already turned the volume off since it was driving me insane) would be appreciated.

Jeff
2BoizRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2021, 11:34 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had to move my hub to several spots in the RV before finding the best place for connecting the brake and TPMS reliably. For my RV, itís the middle of the bed.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 04:23 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had to move mine to the bedroom, worked great after that. Also do you have wireless a wireless brake away device?
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 04:59 PM   #4

Location: now full time, headed to Red Bay via Dallas for Oct 6 upgrades

following RVi's instructions, I've had the HUB all over the bed, tried mounting it on the wall just outside the bathroom, moved the tablet to the middle of the dash so no obstructions and have a wired breakaway cord that runs from coach hitch to just under the electrical connection on the front of my Grand Cherokee.
Today before even starting up the coach, connected the TOAD to the MH, made the connection to the HUB and tablet while in the Jeep, walked to the entry door, up the steps, set things down on the dash and it disconnected. Had to repeat the process 4 times of power on / off the brake control, pair the tablet to the hub and repeat. Finally gave up and went on with pre-trip duties.
Spent most of the 250 mile journey with "searching" being displayed and RVi is being no help what so ever
2BoizRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 05:12 PM   #5

Could be one of your other WiFi devices is sending out some interference that is not normal. No problems with mine.

Try turning off all other devices in your car or RV that could send out a signal. Even some LED bulbs send out lots of radio frequency interference when they are not supposed to.

Turning things back on one by one should lead you to the culprit.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:54 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Do you have power to the hub?
I thought that I saw somewhere that the hub should be in the rear of the coach for better reception with the RVibrake.

Or maybe it's not paired correctly. This is from the owner's manual:
"RVibrake3 does not come paired with Command Center tablet and hub. The following
steps will walk you through the one time pairing process...."

I just got RVibrake 3. I installed a CLA in the bedroom to power it. The hub does have a battery but I wanted to make sure it still works if the battery runs out of juice.
No problems after maybe 500 miles.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:13 AM   #7

I've noticed 2 issues with my RVi3 system.
1. If not used for a while, I must reset the hub. Then it works fine.
2. Devices which use WiFi can interfere, especially if they're on or near the dashboard. I turned off the WiFi on my iPhone..

Bullitt6283 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:32 AM   #8

Try reloading accessories and then pair up.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:14 AM   #9

I found that not only WIFI can interrupt the hub connection, but simple wireless devices, too. In my case, I found that a simple wireless thermometer was the culprit. I also had to provide a space between the Garmin navigator and the tablet. I don't know why so glitchy, but you must experiment with location of the tablet as well as the hub. Consider that ANY radio wave can disrupt the connection. Use trial and error methodology by separation and/or elimination of nearby devices.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:11 AM   #10

Another Issue, maintaining a charge with the tablet while traveling. Perhaps due to searching when the connection is lost to the TPM sensors or RVI break in the toad. Does anyone else have this issue?
Old 09-02-2021, 07:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Another Issue, maintaining a charge with the tablet while traveling. Perhaps due to searching when the connection is lost to the TPM sensors or RVI break in the toad. Does anyone else have this issue?
I have both the hub and tablet plugged into power whenever it is in use. I do not have the problem you're describing.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bydnar View Post
I have both the hub and tablet plugged into power whenever it is in use. I do not have the problem you're describing.
Even between trips, I have the RV connected to shore power at home and the tablet and hub are powered. The tablet is not active, but its battery is being maintained.

Bullitt6283 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 05:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
Even between trips, I have the RV connected to shore power at home and the tablet and hub are powered. The tablet is not active, but its battery is being maintained.

I was implying my hub is connected to power when having problems maintaining the charge. My coach is also on shore power at home. The RVI power source is connected to non-switched power.
One other issue my tablet does not boot up unless the USB cable is detached.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:43 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I am installing my system today, so I appreciate all your comments.
Is it safe to say, that even with the connection problems, the brake unit is still working, if it has 12v power, going down the road?

Tags
brake