Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:31 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Rvi Brake 2 and 3 experiences or solving Brake Buddy movement

Iím considering the RVi 2 (used one for sale) or RViBrake 3. This is for our 2015 Chevy Sonic, using a Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain Tow bar. I tested a used Brake Buddy Vantage Select yesterday and found that it likes to move a bit too much with the shape of the floor and the seat. Itís simply not staying put like the Roadmaster EvenBrake that I used in our prior in 2003 Chevy Tracker. For the Buddy, I would need to construct something to keep it in place. The tall handle on the newest Brake Buddy model seems problematic for how close the setup needs to be to the brake pedal and clearing the steering wheel. Admittedly I donít have one to test, so I could well be incorrect. Rvi models have a metal plate (slips on and off the floor from a mount) that can be installed on the floor and removed that holds the back of the RVI in place on my car model that doesnít have a rise in the floor near the seat like most models do.

What have been the experiences of others with the RVI? How about how youíve been able to get the Brake Buddy to secure if it is moving around too much? Yes I have moved the seat forward for the proper distance for the brake Buddy. Any who have upgraded to an Air Force One or the like and are parting with their RVI, feel free to send a private message.

Iíve done some evaluation of the Blue Ox Patriot, but donít have one to test.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2021, 10:39 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We used a BB Vantage Select since 2008. We had no problems with it moving when we had the Jeep. But the CRV seats & also the carpet protectors were much harder/firmer so we had to use a foam kneeling pad wedged between the seat & the BB to keep it from moving.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:04 PM   #3

I have been using a RVi2 for the last 5 years. Overall, very happy. Easy to install/setup up (both initially and trip set up). Two toads: '15 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and now a '19 Ford Ranger. Each vehicle did/does have a lip in the floor that it rests/pushes against. Had some issues with the remote receiver but new RV doesn't have a 12V receptacle (near driver), so I couldn't use it anyways. The brakes work great but just can't do a remote brake check.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:59 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are very happy with our RVi 3. It positions itself has worked well. We also got the integrated TPMS and battery charger. I love having all of this on one screen in the cab. Just remember to always setup the brake first, then the hub and then the command center tablet.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
We used a BB Vantage Select since 2008. We had no problems with it moving when we had the Jeep. But the CRV seats & also the carpet protectors were much harder/firmer so we had to use a foam kneeling pad wedged between the seat & the BB to keep it from moving.
Same with my fiat, I cram a pillow between the handle and the seat. All I really care about is the breakaway switch -- the car only weighs 2400lb -- but it seems to work ok during warmup and testing.

Definitely needed a tall unit, fiat has an upright driving position. Among other things, setting the thing on the floor it would nose up under the seat release, unlocking the seat, giving it nothing at all to push against

I kinda like the roadmaster brakemaster myself, but I wasn't totally sold on the fiat, wanted something inexpensive, easy to install and easy to transfer (either to a new car, or a new owner on down the line). BB met those criteria. Decent price and everything you need is in the box, including breakaway switch and battery charger. (Well, not everything, it doesn't fit fiat or jeep brake pedals but that's not difficult to fix). Sets up and breaks down in a minute, press a button and go basically.

The fiat is kinda growing on me, but the BB works well enough to where its not worth upgrading imo
TampaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:41 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been using the RVi3 since last May and my experience has nothing but positive. I use it in a 2008 Chevy Silverado with the "stop plate". There is enough of a hump in the floor where I could probably get away from using the plate, but it came with the unit, and its just peace of mind for me.

I can hook it up in a matter of minutes and be on my way. I place the box on the floor, connect the ram to the brake pedal, connect the power to the 12V outlet, press the set up button 3 times, plug in the breakaway cord, and I'm ready to go.
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:21 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very happy with my RVI3. Using it in a Grand Cherokee. I do have to remove the carpeted floor mat so there is enough lip under the edge of the seat for the unit to push against. Not an issue.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:57 PM   #8

I use a RVi2 that I purchased used in a Jeep Wrangler and a 2015 Chevy Malibu. I could not be more pleased with its simple install, setup and use. No floor anchor needed for the Jeep. For the Malibu I fab'ed up a simple support brace from some scrap aluminum that I bolted to the seat bracket. It stays in place all the time and you forget its there. Likely the same will be needed for the Chevy Sonic. Since the Malibu 12v socket is off when towing, I used a fuse add-a-circuit and a 12v outlet just for the RVi2 that is tucked out of the way when not being used.

Your results may vary,

Good Luck
myfirstford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:36 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
These are all so helpful stories of real life use. Thank you all so very much. Keep them coming!

Tags
brake